Cutting out meat in my diet??

Options
13»

Replies

• rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Is it a good idea or no? ive heard alot of people that are nessacarily (sp??) vegetarians, but when they were trying to lose
    weight they said cutting out meat was how they were able to lose the pounds. i usually eat meat with my dinner, even if im just trying to have a salad, i put little chunks of chicken in there. should i just completely stop eating it for awhile? =/

It all comes down to just one thing... CALORIES... a veg diet can't guarantee you weight loss and neither meat.Any food product eaten over a calorie limit would turn into fat if your body is not able to use it fully.So better watch out calories and balance your diet.

You can be a veggi if you have some ethical reasons but not for the reason for 'weight loss'.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    i would be very careful cutting meat out of your diet because you can give yourself mono if you dont intake enough protein.

LMAO. No...no you cannot. Mono is a VIRUS that you can only get from exposure. You're more prone to ALL illnesses if you are immunocompromised, but you'd have to be SEVERELY malnourished to actually be immunocompromised at all.

Ridiculous. Please don't post fearmongering nonsense online without any research to back it up.
  • Glamgoddessinblack
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a few months, and I did lose weight. All I ate was vegetables and fruit! I wouldn't recomend it although it is a personal choice. I was very tired all the time and was missing out on alot of great food. I would cut out red meat :) I only eat chicken and fish :D
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    nah dont cut meat...its too good.

cutting out dairy, startchy carbs and sugar would be a way better approach. :smile:

vegetarian is not the answer in my opinion. (thats only my opinion!!)

meat, veges, nuts, seeds, little starch, no sugar.
    cant fail.

:smile:

EDIT: I just imagined a life without meat....lol.
    i cant go without my 400gm servings of beef/chick/kangaroo!
    Love hitting that stuff!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Vegans/vegetarians may actually have a greater risk of heart disease than omnivores. Here is one article with links out to a couple of studies on the matter.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/01/06/vegetarians-and-heart-disease/

In summation, the vegans/vegetarians had thicker arterial walls and elevated lipid indicators that could result in heart disease. Things like increased LDL and decreased HDL (the opposite of what you want) over their omnivore counter-parts.

This is a BLOG by a woman who used to be vegan, most likely wasn't eating a well balanced diet, and then went back to eating meat. T. Colin Campbell has refuted her interpretation of studies, I think you can find it on youtube. Regardless of what you beleive to be healthy, I don't think it's very responsible to use blogs as a resource. There are studies conducted by people like Caldwell Esselstyn to show the opposite to be true. My cholesterol levels are flipping amazing. Studies can be twisted to support any viewpoint - mine or yours. However, I will say this for her post, she recognized the inherent problems in studying so-called vegetarians, that being that most people in the U.S. who identify as vegetarian can actually identify times in the previous week/month, whatever the study asks, when they have eaten meat! Uh, folks, that's not vegetarian, and we're not talking pescetarians, they ate chicken and red meat. Totally invalidates the results. In addition, she also posted this:

Since so many vegetarian-versus-omnivore studies are comparing a complete lifestyle overhaul (health-savvy vegetarianism) with health indifference (standard “eat-whatever’s-there” omnivorism), it’s pretty hard to find a vegetarian study that can actually isolate the effects of meat. When a vegetarian’s main diet change is avoiding animal flesh rather than emphasizing fresh produce and moving away from refined foods, the health outcomes aren’t much different than those of standard omnivores (except for the added burden of higher homocysteine).

So, she wasn't as biased as I have seen her be, but it's still a blog. If you eat crap as a veg*n, you're not going to be healthy, same for an omni.

To the OP: cutting out dairy is more likely to have an effect on your weight loss. But it still depends on the person.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I actually have 2 days a week that I go meatless. It started out because I was being cheap but I actually enjoy it. I've learned a lot of new recipes and my family hasn't complained. I do try to eat beef only once a week at most.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    WHY??? Oh my I couldn't live without my lean proteins.

Some people have ethical issues with meat eating.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Vegans/vegetarians may actually have a greater risk of heart disease than omnivores. Here is one article with links out to a couple of studies on the matter.

In summation, the vegans/vegetarians had thicker arterial walls and elevated lipid indicators that could result in heart disease. Things like increased LDL and decreased HDL (the opposite of what you want) over their omnivore counter-parts.

This is a BLOG by a woman who used to be vegan, most likely wasn't eating a well balanced diet, and then went back to eating meat. T. Colin Campbell has refuted her interpretation of studies, I think you can find it on youtube. Regardless of what you beleive to be healthy, I don't think it's very responsible to use blogs as a resource. There are studies conducted by people like Caldwell Esselstyn to show the opposite to be true. My cholesterol levels are flipping amazing. Studies can be twisted to support any viewpoint - mine or yours. However, I will say this for her post, she recognized the inherent problems in studying so-called vegetarians, that being that most people in the U.S. who identify as vegetarian can actually identify times in the previous week/month, whatever the study asks, when they have eaten meat! Uh, folks, that's not vegetarian, and we're not talking pescetarians, they ate chicken and red meat. Totally invalidates the results. In addition, she also posted this:

Since so many vegetarian-versus-omnivore studies are comparing a complete lifestyle overhaul (health-savvy vegetarianism) with health indifference (standard “eat-whatever’s-there” omnivorism), it’s pretty hard to find a vegetarian study that can actually isolate the effects of meat. When a vegetarian’s main diet change is avoiding animal flesh rather than emphasizing fresh produce and moving away from refined foods, the health outcomes aren’t much different than those of standard omnivores (except for the added burden of higher homocysteine).

So, she wasn't as biased as I have seen her be, but it's still a blog. If you eat crap as a veg*n, you're not going to be healthy, same for an omni.

To the OP: cutting out dairy is more likely to have an effect on your weight loss. But it still depends on the person.

I know it is a blog, thanks for your incredible insight. I was assuming readers were intelligent enough to follow the links to the actual studies. I guess not, though.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I know it is a blog, thanks for your incredible insight. I was assuming readers were intelligent enough to follow the links to the actual studies. I guess not, though.

I still hold that her blog, and therefore studies she sites, are biased on the side of meat eating. Just as studies I could site could be claimed by some to be biased on the other side. For instance, some might claim the work of Caldwell Esselstyn is biased. And like I said, she actually made a good point about how people in this country who identify as vegetarian are not actually vegetarian, so it makes it difficult to actually compare them to meat eaters, since they're often still eating meat as well.