Question about "Happy Holidays"

Options
DBranchaud
DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
Christmas is just around the corner and as a cashier I send holiday wishes to my customer as the leave. I say "Merry Christmas".

I know that some stores are told to say "Happy Holidays" what's everybody's position on that, the whole politically correct thing.

I've been saying Merry Chrstmas and nobody has turned around and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" and taken offense. My idea is that I'll say it and if you tell me you don't celebrate it , tell me what you do celebrate and I'll wish you well with that.

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Christmas is just around the corner and as a cashier I send holiday wishes to my customer as the leave. I say "Merry Christmas".

I know that some stores are told to say "Happy Holidays" what's everybody's position on that, the whole politically correct thing.

I've been saying Merry Chrstmas and nobody has turned around and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" and taken offense. My idea is that I'll say it and if you tell me you don't celebrate it , tell me what you do celebrate and I'll wish you well with that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    To me it is Christmas week, and unless I know you are Jewish, I will say Merry Christmas!!

My BFF is Jewish and I asked if she is ever offended by this wish. She said if someone wants her to be Merry...she is not going to complain!!

She always responds with Happy Hannakah!!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Canada but I heard a statistic (from 2 different sources) that 93% of Americans celebrate Christmas. Unless I know for sure someone doesn't celebrate, I will say 'Merry Christmas.'

I respect others belief system. If they correct me, I'm more than happy to retract.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I say happy holidays as a reaction to my clients because i feel the "holidays" is a whole season! but most people just turn around and wish me a merry christmas anyway. :smile: it should be the thought that counts anyway. :-)
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Personally I prefer to greet everyone I encounter with a great big "Bah Humbug", the reactions on people's faces are priceless. Then I continue on my merry way giggling all the way.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, Hanukkah starts on Sunday, so this year, it is not just the week of Christmas. Also, Kwanzaa is always celebrated Dec. 26th through January 1st. My husband is Jewish, so we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. I have always said Happy Holidays to people I don't know--but I will personalize it if I know what they celebrate.

Whatever anyone celebrates, I hope you have a wonderful time!
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hummmmmm, interesting topic. Personally, I am always amazed at why people feel the need to say anything other than MERRY CHRISTMAS at Christmas time. Do we question whether or not to say Happy Halloween (or Happy 4th of July any other holiday) for fear of offending?

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
    ornamentlighthead.jpg
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Hummmmmm, interesting topic. Personally, I am always amazed at why people feel the need to say anything other than MERRY CHRISTMAS at Christmas time. Do we question whether or not to say Happy Halloween (or Happy 4th of July any other holiday) for fear of offending?

ornamentlighthead.jpg
    Absolutely! I am always offended as a Christian when people call it xmas to tell you the truth. Does that knock 1 second off of your typing time?

Merry CHRISTmas!
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

ornamentlighthead.jpg
    Absolutely! I am always offended as a Christian when people call it xmas to tell you the truth. Does that knock 1 second off of your typing time?

Merry CHRISTmas!

Mar and Soup.
    I do not have an opinion on this matter. Just wanted to say love ya.
    That is all.
    :heart:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Mar and Soup.
    That is all.

EMI!!!!!

:heart: you to as always pretty girl!

Wow you look awesome in that dress!!!

That is all.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    When working, of course, I say whatever the established practice is of my employer. Most employers require "Happy Holidays".

I happen to live where there is a very diverse population, so I try to be sensitive. I only say Merry Christmas to people who I know observe Christmas or are Christian.

My standard generic greeting, is "Peace on Earth"... and I'm ready to fight anyone who's offended by it.
  • marskids
    Options
    Mar and Soup.
    That is all.

Hi there Emmiecakes,
    right back at ya!!
    How are you? It's been awhile.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I say whatever comes out of my mouth first. :bigsmile: I have yet to be corrected for it.

... At least in terms of holiday greetings. :laugh:
  • marskids
    Options
    I say whatever comes out of my mouth first. :bigsmile: I have yet to be corrected for it.

... At least in terms of holiday greetings. :laugh:

:laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Merry Christmas" gal too. :smile:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

Say xmas and see what happens. Go on. Don't be afraid.:smokin:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I say "Merry Christmas" except to the people I know celebrate something else.

My mother-in-law converted to Judaism a few years ago and is married to a man who celebrates Christmas so we celebrate Christmas together but also wish her Happy Hanukkah! :bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

What will you do if I do Jo??? :huh: :wink: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Not gonna. CrossedArms.gif
  • SoupNazi
    Options

What will you do if I do Jo??? :huh: :wink: :laugh:

Not a dern thing. I wouldn't wanna hurt someone who gives out such great recipes.:wink::laugh:

Shannon, on the other hand, is trying to make me make eggplant gratin.:angry:

{{me feels a thread jack comin' on}}:smokin: