Six Months on MFP – The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (Pic Hea

Options
myboysmomx2
myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
It’s amazing what hard work and six months can do. On February 22, 2011, I joined My Fitness Pal to lose weight, but I’ve achieved so much more that just that! I have a new outlook on life :-) I’m happier, healthier, and more fit. After having two children plus several years of a sedentary lifestyle and eating “whatever” I wanted, I gained a lot of weight. This was tough to accept because I was thin all my life leading up to that point. Being tall (5’11”) didn’t help me either because lots of people kept telling me that I didn’t need to lose weight. They told me that I carried my weight well. After a while, I started believing it and thought that I could get away with not being active yet still eat like I used to when I was active. Not true! I learned this the hard way. I also fooled myself into thinking that because I carried all this extra weight around for 13 years that I wouldn’t be able to work it off. Again, not true! All you need to do is keep track of what you eat by counting calories and exercise too! There’s no magic pill, potion, formula or secret. I’ve never consumed one diet pill or drink, nor have I starved myself or restricted myself from certain foods. I am a true southern cook and I enjoy cooking and baking and eating. Food is a part of who I am. It always will be. On a couple of different occasions before MFP, I tried to lose weight just by exercising for about 5-6 weeks. This frustrated me because I was working so hard without losing much weight BUT I was missing part of the equation…I wasn’t tracking what I ate! I was working against myself!

To quote the My Fitness Pal site: In one of the longest running and largest weight loss studies ever conducted, Dr. Jack Hollis found that simply writing down the foods you eat encourages you to consume fewer calories, and that's the key to losing weight. You don't need expensive gym equipment or memberships to lose weight - you just need to keep track of what you eat. “The more food records people kept, the more weight they lost. Those who kept daily food records lose twice as much weight as those who kept no records. It seems that the simple act of writing down what you eat encourages people to consume fewer calories.” Dr. Jack Hollis - Kaiser Permanente's Center for Health Research

So you see...weight loss is simple. Notice I didn’t say “easy.” It’s hard work. It takes commitment, dedication, and perseverance. "There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permits. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." I exercise. Period. I do it in manageable chunks. I encourage you to set small goals at first that aren’t overwhelming for you to achieve. If you exercised one day for 20 minutes, exercise the next for a couple minutes longer. Don’t overdo it. That was another mistake of my past! I’d overdo it! Baby steps are important because if you’re overwhelmed or you overwork yourself and are sore to the point of not being able to move, you’ve gone too far. Often times this is such a discouragement that people quit. Little by little, day by day, commit to exercising…REALLY TRULY exercising where your heart rate is increased for a period of 20 minutes or greater. If you’re not sweating and breathing heavily for 20+ minutes, you’re fooling yourself and you’re likely to get discouraged when your weight isn’t coming off! Get serious about it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you can wait until 2-3 months before a special occasion like a vacation, reunion, summer bikini, wedding or the holidays to lose your weight. There’s no reason to wait…get started now because it takes a while. The hard work is worth every second….you’ll be glad you made the commitment! YOU are worth it!

I have now lost 37 pounds in six months and I’ve done all of that with a bad foot (plantar fasciitis & a bone spur), and yes, the doctor said it was okay to keep exercising. Now, not only do I feel better, I’m sleeping better, I’m healthier, and I’m enjoying the things I used to. Things like clothes shopping, wearing shorts, wearing a bathing suit and swimming in public (not just at home), and I no longer hide from a camera lens just to name a few. Six months ago if you would have told me that I was exercising an hour + daily or power walking nearly sixty miles so far this month I would have laughed at you. But, rather than sitting on my rear end I decided to commit to a healthy new me and not just be “interested” in a new me. Good intentions won’t get you anywhere, but hard work will! I’m now over half way to my goal weight. Here are my weight loss numbers and measurements so far. Hopefully my pictures will inspire you to get up and get moving. You CAN do it!!!!

You can view my blog with more pictures, stories, videos, and links to recipes and health & fitness articles that have helped me here: http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com

Here's what I've lost so far in my first six months...
37 pounds
Neck 1.5 inches
Waist 8.0 inches
Hips 7.0 inches
Arm 2.7 inches
Thighs 9 inches (combined)
Bust 6.8 inches
Calves 1.2 inches
BMI lost: 5.1
Body Fat Lost: 8%
Grand Total of inches lost in five months: 36.20"
Before I started this journey, I was about to have to buy size 18 pants but that freaked me out to me point of getting serious about weight loss. I never did buy a size 18….I am now in a size 10 and a few 12’s. Oh happy day!

074-1-2.jpg
The picture on the left is of me in November 2010...right at 200 pounds??? The two on the right are after I lost my first seven pounds.

326.jpg

353-2.jpg

295-4.jpg

37 Pounds lost so far...YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!! So...What are you waiting for????

Replies

• kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    wow! you look incredible!!!! thanks for sharing!
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You are BEAUTIFUL! Amazing work and i love the quote at the end.
  • diplomad
    diplomad Posts: 51
    Options
    That is awesome. By far one of the best success write ups I have seen on here since Ive been on. You look stunning! Congratulations!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    ohhh you look svelte - very nice
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow is all i can say and there is hope for me yet. You are beautiful :)
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I'm 5'10" myself and while i had a few more pounds on you to start, i can see where i might be in the end. Looking forward to it!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!! Congratulations ... you look great!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I have to go back and read your story. I got distracted by your beautiful pics! :smile:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    hot tamale!!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    wow! you look so fit now!! great weight loss. I totally agree with the "you carry it well" thing... i'm 5'8.5" and hour glass, so people always told me I looked great, and I let it be an excuse! But great work!!!! I bet you feel awesome!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! thanks for the inspiring words.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing!!!!
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    wow! What an inspiration you are! Thanks for sharing.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!!!! You look incredible!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Holy sh#@! You look amazing!
    BTW, I love everything you said. I'm sure you've inspired many people to commit to making changes!
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    You look fricken amazing! You are an inspiration! Amazing job :)
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great quotes, great story. You are an inspiration.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    you look great!
  • chantaljl
    Options
    You look incredible!
    Thank you for sharing your story! Amazing how much you can achieve with dedication!
  • malamapono
    Options
    wow! you are such an inspiration! you are looking awesome! i've been in the same boat as you, i'm good at working out but my weight stays the same! so hopefully logging down all my food will help keep honest!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!