New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I hate lunges too! There are tons of static lunges in stage 2 and I think I like those better than regular lunges. But they're still tough. That's good thinking to use your steps for the step ups! My dh actually made me a highish step with some wood a while ago so I am using that. I also ordered a plastic step with the risers from ebay. I use that for the deadlifts and reverse lunges now.

Let me clarify about the squat rack. I don't put the bar on the bench itself. Outside of the bench, toward the part where your head lays, there are two rectangular poles with holes in them. You can put the pins on varying levels to adjust the level of the barbell.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good setup at home. I don't think you'll have any problems with the workouts.

I totally understood what you were talking about with the bench. We have the same type of bench I think - the poles are for placing the bar for a chest press. Do you sit on the bench (at the head part) to get the bar on your shoulders?

I went looking for a set of steps this weekend and I couldn't find any that really looked like what I needed that weren't over a $100.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Does any one have a hard time getting the protein in during the day? What do you do to help boost the protein with out killing fat or calories?

I make a smoothie every morning with frozen strawberries and a scoop of protein powder (26 grams of protein) - very low fat, about 180 calories.

I sometimes add a tablespoon of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) to my oatmeal that I eat mid-morning (adds 3 grams protein).

I have 4 oz. of chicken breast for lunch (20 grams of protein) and a ready to drink protein shake after my workout (20 grams of protein).

I try to eat lean meat for dinner and get about 20 grams of protein that way, and if I'm okay on calories and need more protein, I mix 1 cup of greek yogurt (20 grams of protein) with 1/4 of a package of Jello instant pudding mix for a 215 calorie dessert that tastes just like cheesecake!

I'll also snack on nuts, but usually on the days I get a good calorie burn from cardio because they're so calorie-dense.

It's hard for me to eat enough protein, sometimes for dinner I'll have an omelet with two eggs and veggies.

I'm interested in what other folks do!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has been key for my protein requirement. That and protein powder combined make the base of my nightly snack. I mix vanilla protein powder with plain greek yogurt and then put a dollop (2 tbsp-ish) of peanut or almond butter with a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips (1 tbsp.). I can adjust it according to my caloric needs and if I'm really low on protein I can add another half-scoop or so. If I were watching fat grams super-closely (I'm not) then I could do without the nut butter and chocolate, though that would make me sad.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has been key for my protein requirement. That and protein powder combined make the base of my nightly snack. I mix vanilla protein powder with plain greek yogurt and then put a dollop (2 tbsp-ish) of peanut or almond butter with a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips (1 tbsp.). I can adjust it according to my caloric needs and if I'm really low on protein I can add another half-scoop or so. If I were watching fat grams super-closely (I'm not) then I could do without the nut butter and chocolate, though that would make me sad.

OOH - I'm trying this. I could eat greek yogurt all day. I forget about it at night though. YUM!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

I hate lunges too! There are tons of static lunges in stage 2 and I think I like those better than regular lunges. But they're still tough. That's good thinking to use your steps for the step ups! My dh actually made me a highish step with some wood a while ago so I am using that. I also ordered a plastic step with the risers from ebay. I use that for the deadlifts and reverse lunges now.

Let me clarify about the squat rack. I don't put the bar on the bench itself. Outside of the bench, toward the part where your head lays, there are two rectangular poles with holes in them. You can put the pins on varying levels to adjust the level of the barbell.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good setup at home. I don't think you'll have any problems with the workouts.

I totally understood what you were talking about with the bench. We have the same type of bench I think - the poles are for placing the bar for a chest press. Do you sit on the bench (at the head part) to get the bar on your shoulders?

I went looking for a set of steps this weekend and I couldn't find any that really looked like what I needed that weren't over a $100.

Ok, I'm glad you understood me! I don't sit on the bench, I just duck under the barbell and rise up when it's on my shoulders.

This is the step I got on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEP-ORIGINAL-AEROBIC-EXERCISE-STEPPER-w-2-RISERS-/280757514667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415e73b1ab

I bought it new though so I paid more for it. If you can win this bid it's a good deal.
  • idauria
    Options
    I drink protein shakes. I have one for breakfast, especially after lifting days. It consists of 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. 1 scoop of Jay Robb chocolate protein powder, 2 tbs peanut butter. Then I sometimes add spinach. Lately I've been adding cocoa powder and instant coffee to make it taste like a mocha milk shake. Sometimes I add peppermint extract to make it taste like a thin mint cookie. I also eat cottage cheese, string cheeses, nuts in moderation, meats. I have my macros set at 35% protein I think. I don't worry as much about fat but I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs. Most days I don't even get that close if I'm really paying attention to what I'm eating.
  • idauria
    Options

OOH - I'm trying this. I could eat greek yogurt all day. I forget about it at night though. YUM!

I just can't get into greek yogurt. It's too tangy for me! I wish I liked it because I know it has a lot of protein but I read labels on a lot of them. The flavored ones have so much sugar. Maybe if I tried it with peanut butter and chocolate I'd like it too!
  • elizabethblake
    Options

Greek yogurt freezes really well too!
  • TluvK
    Options

I just can't get into greek yogurt. It's too tangy for me! I wish I liked it because I know it has a lot of protein but I read labels on a lot of them. The flavored ones have so much sugar. Maybe if I tried it with peanut butter and chocolate I'd like it too!

Yes, you need to find some good things to mix with it. I use it in place of sour cream almost every day. Mix in a little garlic powder to make it less tangy. My typical snack is greek yogurt, blueberries, chopped almonds and honey. YUM.
  • TluvK
    Options

That's really good to know. It's so expensive, so always want to buy it on sale. Can you just throw the whole container in the freezer?
  • elizabethblake
    Options

That's really good to know. It's so expensive, so always want to buy it on sale. Can you just throw the whole container in the freezer?

I've never tried it but I don't see why you couldn't. I meant it freezes really well as in, you can mix in a T of peanut butter, nutella, whatever, give it stir and freeze it and it's a great alternative to ice cream!
  • runnergirl629
    Options
    I'm just gonna jump in- I just started, today was workout #3 (second "A" workout of Stage 1). Felt some soreness after both the other workouts, so I'm looking forward to this.
  • TluvK
    Options

I've never tried it but I don't see why you couldn't. I meant it freezes really well as in, you can mix in a T of peanut butter, nutella, whatever, give it stir and freeze it and it's a great alternative to ice cream!

OH!! Even better!
  • idauria
    Options
    I'm just gonna jump in- I just started, today was workout #3 (second "A" workout of Stage 1). Felt some soreness after both the other workouts, so I'm looking forward to this.

Welcome to the board and good luck! I'm in the middle of stage 2 now. I never really felt that sore during stage 1 but I am feeling it now. Lots of leg work in stage 2.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I am SO SORE today.

Did Workout A of Stage 3 yesterday and omg. You wouldn't think holding a 5 POUND! dumbbell overhead while squatting is hard, but it is! I tried a 10 lb. at first and immediately switched to a five. It really engages your core - to keep your balance.

Definitely need to up my weights on the bench press and rows - I tend to start out with lower weights until I get the hang of the exercise but I know I can lift more and will increase next time.

The body weight matrix was a joy...okay, not really but I got through it and was happy when it was over!

The workout took about 75 minutes and that was with resting 60 seconds between lifts - I just couldn't rest more than that and complete a workout on my (extended) lunch break. As it is, I'll be working extra this week to make up the time. I hate it, but there are some weeks I can workout after work and have all the time in the world and some weeks I can't, and this is a week I can't. So, do what ya gotta do, right?!?

I'm conflicted - I love having the weight room pretty much to myself (a stray guy here and there) but I also wish the girls on the cardio machines would start lifting. I feel conspicuous! But I don't (and won't) let it stop me.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

OH!! Even better!

Oh yum!!!! I will try that. I am so sad that greek yogurt is so expensive!!!
  • idauria
    Options
    I just bought a small container of greek yogurt and will be trying this concoction soon. I'll let you know what I think!
  • TluvK
    Options
    I just bought a small container of greek yogurt and will be trying this concoction soon. I'll let you know what I think!

Oh good! I find that the brand makes a difference. What did you get? I like the plain, non fat Chobani or Fage
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B (Pg. 144): Workout calls for 2 sets of 10 reps:

When doing "bulgarian split squats" and "reverse lunge from box with forward reach" are you doing 10 reps with each leg and count it as 1 set? So you end up doing 20 reps with each leg?

Thanks!
  • TluvK
    Options
    Question regarding Stage 2 Workout B:

When doing bulgarian split squats and reverse lunge from box with forward reach (Pgs. 176-177) are you doing 10 reps with each leg and count it as 1 set? So you end up doing 20 reps with each leg?

I have, and I end up spending an hour and a half in the gym including warm-ups and cool-down. Thanks!
    I did 10 each leg and then when it got to the third set, I switched at 5. Then during AMRAPS, I switched at 30 sec.

EDIT: to clarify, I did 10 on one leg = 1 set. Then, the 10 on other leg = 1 set. Then for the third set, I did half and half of 10.