New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    So I did Stage 2, Workout A again today. I used the EZ-curl bar for the front squat push press. Started with 30 lbs to see if it was doable, and it was, so then I moved up to 40 lbs, which was also fine. I might try the Olympic bar again next time... we'll see. I did find that the EZ-curl was much easier on my wrists, but I also wasn't holding it the same way you're supposed to hold the Olympic bar. My elbows were definitely more vertical than horizontal. Though I think this is part of the reason why my wrists weren't hurting, so, enh. I think it's okay.

Also, the step-ups followed by the one point dumbbell rows are BRUTAL. My legs were jelly after those sets.

I am going to be starting out using the ez curl bar for the push press as well. I tried it the other day just to see what it felt like. It's definitely awkward but the bends in the bar make it a little easier. I hope to not have issues when it's time to move to the olympic bar. I'm curious to see how you do with it.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I've completed my first set of Stage 1 A & B workouts and enjoyed them! Doing my second Stage 1, Workout A tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it because I must admit - I LOVE squats! :heart: They've always been one of my favorite strength exercises! We're still waiting for the power cage & bench we ordered to come in, though So for now, I have my hubby put the weighted bar on my back for squats because I think I'd hurt myself if I tried to lift it up over my head and put it there myself! :wink:
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Jkuhn71 - you love squats?! Ha. I'm happy for you. I guess I don't mind them, but I couldn't ever call it love...especially during AMRAP. I'm glad you're enjoying Stage 1 so far! It's good you're soliciting help with the bar - there is NO way I would be able to get the weighted bar on my shoulders without the rack.

For all you Stage 2'ers. Curious how your weight compares on the regular deadlift on Stage 1, versus the wide-grip box deadlifts in Stage 2. I was deadlifting 115 in Stage 1. I asked the PT what he recommended on the box deadlift, as it seemed to me that dropping lower would be harder (and easier to injure) with the same weight. He suggested 95 lbs. I did it and it was hard, but didn't feel tweaky or anything. But, my lower back is now screaming at me. It feels like DOMS, so I'm hoping I didn't injure myself, but it's REALLY sore. My hubby rubbed it last night and I thought I was going to go into orbit because it was so sensitive. I THINK it's soreness, but I'm also a little worried that it is a form issue because I went too heavy. Although the PT acted like I really should have been able to handle the 95, if not higher.
  • TluvK
    Options
    Had another question:

I take a power sculpt class that I just can't give up. I love the instructor and the ladies that take the class and it's pretty aerobic, but it's also pretty weight heavy. We don't lift heavy, but we lift a lot and also do a lot of pull-ups, push-ups, squats, you get the idea.

I know the book was pretty firm about us not lifting too much and really allowing a rest day and I've actually read that not following that plan could be a detriment.

This is my typical schedule:

Monday - Power Sculpt, 75 minutes
    Tuesday - Spin, 60 minutes
    Wednesday - NROLFW + 20 minutes cardio
    Thursday - Power Sculpt, 75 minutes
    Friday - NROLFW + 20 minutes cardio
    Saturday - Cardio, 60 minutes (running, spinning, hiking with some HIIT)
    Sunday - NROLFW + 20 minutes cardio

What are your thoughts? My body seems to be keeping up with it, although lately I've been feeling a little fatigued. I admit I do have a problem taking a rest day - mentally, I just can't seem to make it happen. I'm just worried that I'm sabotaging or something. I might try to post this on the main exercise board to see what others say. Thanks everyone -
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Had another question:

I take a power sculpt class that I just can't give up. I love the instructor and the ladies that take the class and it's pretty aerobic, but it's also pretty weight heavy. We don't lift heavy, but we lift a lot and also do a lot of pull-ups, push-ups, squats, you get the idea.

I know the book was pretty firm about us not lifting too much and really allowing a rest day and I've actually read that not following that plan could be a detriment.

What are your thoughts? My body seems to be keeping up with it, although lately I've been feeling a little fatigued. I admit I do have a problem taking a rest day - mentally, I just can't seem to make it happen. I'm just worried that I'm sabotaging or something. I might try to post this on the main exercise board to see what others say. Thanks everyone -

Yeah, I definitely think you're overdoing it. You're lifting 5 out of 7 days and not even taking a rest day! Could be why your back is hurting. Just because you *can* do it doesn't mean you *should* do it. :o)

Can't weigh in on the amount of weights for box deadlifts because I'm still doing regular deadlifts (although I did increase the weight for stage two). My gym doesn't have a step of any sort in the regular weights area, just the Crossfit area. The trainer lets me do step ups in the Crossfit area, but I haven't wanted to push my luck by dragging a oly. bar and a bunch of weights over there too!
  • TluvK
    Options
    Had another question:

Yeah, I definitely think you're overdoing it. You're lifting 5 out of 7 days and not even taking a rest day! Could be why your back is hurting. Just because you *can* do it doesn't mean you *should* do it. :o)

Can't weigh in on the amount of weights for box deadlifts because I'm still doing regular deadlifts (although I did increase the weight for stage two). My gym doesn't have a step of any sort in the regular weights area, just the Crossfit area. The trainer lets me do step ups in the Crossfit area, but I haven't wanted to push my luck by dragging a oly. bar and a bunch of weights over there too!

Bummer. I was hoping for a different answer. I thought that since I'm not heavy lifting on my Power Sculpt days, that I could get away with it. You might be right about my body. My husband just shakes his head when I complain about it hurting.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I know, I hate it too! From everything I've read - from the personal trainers I've befriended on MFP to NROLFW to Lyle McDonald - it's critical to give your body the rest it needs to recover. It's hard for me to wait the 75 seconds between sets (and Stage 3 has 105 second rests!!!!), but I know there's a reason they tell us to do it, even if I don't like it. :o(

btw - maybe you don't have to give up the Power Sculpt class, just cut the frequency and give yourself at least one day a week where you don't do anything? I'm certainly not the font of all knowledge - post on the exercise boards and see what they say. :o)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    For all you Stage 2'ers. Curious how your weight compares on the regular deadlift on Stage 1, versus the wide-grip box deadlifts in Stage 2. I was deadlifting 115 in Stage 1. I asked the PT what he recommended on the box deadlift, as it seemed to me that dropping lower would be harder (and easier to injure) with the same weight. He suggested 95 lbs. I did it and it was hard, but didn't feel tweaky or anything. But, my lower back is now screaming at me. It feels like DOMS, so I'm hoping I didn't injure myself, but it's REALLY sore. My hubby rubbed it last night and I thought I was going to go into orbit because it was so sensitive. I THINK it's soreness, but I'm also a little worried that it is a form issue because I went too heavy. Although the PT acted like I really should have been able to handle the 95, if not higher.

I was around 85 lbs with my deadlift at the end of stage 1 (I take it real slow because I have a little history with lower back injuries!), and I just decided to keep the same weight for the wide-grip box deadlifts for the first Workout B in Stage 2. That seemed to work pretty well for me, so I'll try increasing the weights next time.

I agree with the others in that it sounds like you might be working yourself too hard. Try to work in some rest days and give your muscles a chance to recover. You'll hopefully be in a better position to evaluate whether you can/want to increase your weights again, then. :) Good luck!!
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I finished my first stage 1 A&B workouts and am sore! YAY! I love it! I took the advice here and practiced the exercise with a light weight and then went heavy. I had to reduce the weight a couple times because I couldn't get close to 15 reps with proper form. I am going to have to buy some gloves though, my hands gave out on a couple exercises before my legs (lunges). I ended up wearing my hubby's gloves to finish my lunges and it made a big difference.

I changed my MFP account settings for my cals and uped them to 1500/day with a 40-30-30 split. I'm eating back my exercise cals (I'm doing Hiit after weights). Is that still too low? I'm honestly scared of putting them up to the 1800/2000 cal recommendation (calculated from the book).
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Bummer. I was hoping for a different answer. I thought that since I'm not heavy lifting on my Power Sculpt days, that I could get away with it. You might be right about my body. My husband just shakes his head when I complain about it hurting.

TluvK - I had been alternating my schedule. One week I would lift on my own (heavier weights, 2 lower rep sets) 1x and take BodyPump (lighter weights, 70-100 reps) 2x. Then the next week I'd switch to lift on my own 2x and take BodyPump 1x. And once in awhile I'd switch things up and use my TRX in place of a BodyPump class.

Like you, I'd been toying with keeping a weight class in my schedule (I was thinking I'd do NROLFW 2x per week & take BodyPump 1x per week). BUT - I think for Stage 1, I'm just going to go with the suggested NROLFW lifting schedule and see how it's going. It's hard to walk away from my old mentality of go, go, go and trying to give myself more recovery time, though... :blushing:

As to the squats...I haven't done AMRAP with heavy weights for squats yet. In BodyPump, I'm up to about 60 pounds. So...I may change my mind about loving squats when I have to do AMRAP in Special Workout A at the end of Stage 1 with 105 lbs! HAHA!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Had another question:

WOW. I think you're lifting waaaay too much. 5x a week might be okay if you were doing body part splits, but the NR plan is total body and it sounds like your Power Sculpt class is too. And you have three lifting days in a row!! I would recommend only doing 3 days of week lifting total between the NR and the power sculpt class (so maybe 2 days a week with the NR schedule and one power sculpt class) and not consecutive days. And get yourself a rest day, even if it ends up being an "active rest" like walking or yoga.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I changed my MFP account settings for my cals and uped them to 1500/day with a 40-30-30 split. I'm eating back my exercise cals (I'm doing Hiit after weights). Is that still too low? I'm honestly scared of putting them up to the 1800/2000 cal recommendation (calculated from the book).

Lou said that if you absolutely HAVE to have a calorie deficit, don't go lower than 300, if I remember correctly. My best advice is to listen to your body. If you can do the workouts on 1500+exercise cals, and you're not dragging the next day, then you're probably okay. I know that some (kensky) have had great results from upping their calories. Personally, I'm eating 1600 plus exercise cals and although the scale is a fickle *****, my clothes are getting looser every week. Seriously, I just bought two pair of dress pants a couple-three weeks ago and they're getting baggy!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM to accurately measure the calories burned and logged? MFP's default for strength training is WAY off (underestimated).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a HRM to accurately measure the calories burned and logged? MFP's default for strength training is WAY off (underestimated).

One weight training session that include a 5 minutes on the elliptical to warm up give me 130-140 calories. How much do you burn?
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Omg, you guys are seriously terrifying me of stage 2! I just finished my stage 1 bonus workouts. Onto stage 2 next week. I was wondering how I am going to do the woodchop thingies since I don't have a cable. The instructions aren't that clear to me. Can someone explain how to do them correctly using a dumbbell?
    I agree, the book doesn't explain it well. The woodchop is a twisting exercise designed to work your core, especially your abs and waist. I found a great at-home alternative using dumbbells. Copy/paste the link below in your browser's address bar to view the YouTube video. Angela is awesome! She has lots of great exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCgGlW8I5MI&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=3

Do you have resistant bands? You can use them instead of cable. Also, the book says that you should be laying on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor and move the dumbbell, med. ball from side to side of your body- I would say almost like the Russian twist but lay on the floor with feet on the floor and just move the db across your body. That's what I get from the book on the alternative with the DB. Or, they say, you can put your back on swiss ball as well and make it more challenging. Hope this makes sense.

I do actually have resistance bands, it's what my husband suggested I use. I figured the exercise would go pretty much as you explained here. I am going to try it. It really doesn't seem all that difficult. Just grab a weight and twist from low to high, no? I'm anxious to get stage 2 started. I'm waiting until Monday though.

When I asked the trainer to help me with this move, he acted as if it was really easy to hurt yourself!!!! Make sure you really twist and not move with your arms. Keep the arms streight in front of you. I tried it today with 50 pounds and I will let you know if it was enought tomorrow LOL

I had issues getting this exercise right because I don't have access to a cable machine either. I tried all the different variations (standing up, on the floor, on a swiss ball) and found the swiss ball to be the easiest. Here is the YouTube video that I found most helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGDQK4XA6x8
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

One weight training session that include a 5 minutes on the elliptical to warm up give me 130-140 calories. How much do you burn?

I don't wear a HRM while lifting, because mine asks for an "activity factor" (number from 30-99, where 30 is "gymnastics" and 99 is a full-on dead sprint). They have a chart that has some stuff like aerobics, running various speeds, biking various speeds, etc but if the activity isn't specifically on the list it's just a guess anyways. I just put it in for the same number of calories as my post-workout shake (170-180) and it seems to work fine.
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Lou said that if you absolutely HAVE to have a calorie deficit, don't go lower than 300, if I remember correctly. My best advice is to listen to your body. If you can do the workouts on 1500+exercise cals, and you're not dragging the next day, then you're probably okay. I know that some (kensky) have had great results from upping their calories. Personally, I'm eating 1600 plus exercise cals and although the scale is a fickle *****, my clothes are getting looser every week. Seriously, I just bought two pair of dress pants a couple-three weeks ago and they're getting baggy!

I might up the calories for next week. I did find I'm a little hungry the day after I lift.

No, I actually didn't add in my strength training calories, just the cardio calories. I'll wear my HRM tomorrow and add those in as well. Thank you!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'm starting next week and want to be a part of this group....can i join???
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Supposedly HRM are NOT good for lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/362964-so-explain-to-me-again-why-i-can-t-use-my-hrm

I went to a couple other websites that estimate calories burned from lifting and came up with about 200 for 30minutes, so that is what I am using at this point.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    i'm starting next week and want to be a part of this group....can i join???

But of course! Folks are kinda rotating in and out as they're doing the program.