Anyone out there getting ready for Irene?

Options

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Growing up in Florida and being directly in the path of three hurricanes in a row one summer, I don't find it to be a big deal at all. People are acting like it's the apocalypse, but I suppose I can't blame you because you guys up here aren't used to this sort of thing. I'm in CT now, and I hear it's only supposed to be cat 1 by the time it hits, so I'm not even a little bit worried. I'll just sleep like I always do in a hurricane. (Though we do need batteries for the flashlights, just in case our power goes out.)

Actually C2.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

It may be so now, but it's expected to be a cat 1 by the time it hits.

And either way, to me a cat 2 is still nothing to worry about.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm in Central Jersey, and we are just buying some extra bottled water and securing all of our deck furniture. I'm thinking we should invite people over for a hurricane party--maybe our shore friends! Good luck everyone!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    i live near mountains in western nc... so my preparredness consists of staying at work.. wearing sunglasses... and praying for everyone on the coast...
    Ditto.

Hope everyone stays safe. The majority of my family is located on the east coast of NY, hoping the storm continues going east and weakening.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yep, getting the windsurfer ready for some great weather.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    We live on Jersey shore too--we call it the beach though. So bummed that our beautiful beaches are going to get it! Got water, batteries , the works---Irene go out to sea and leave us alone!! Earthquake and hurricane in one week is just TOO much--be safe everyone!

It's only the "shore" if you're a shoobie or a benny. Stay safe!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A benefit of living in the midwest, I don't have to fear the hurricanes. I do have to worry about tornadoes...
    Keeping everyone in it's path in my thoughts!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    C1/C2... Whatever... heed the warnings! If you are told to evacuate... gtfo! And if you feel like a hurricane is "nothing" then make sure to at least print out on a laminated piece of paper, your name, social security number, and all your important facts and stick it on your chest so authorities can identify you!

Stay safe kiddos!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Before you do that, can you add me as a beficiary on your life insurance policy. Accidental Death pays double indemnity I think.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Delaware Girl here and I am ready ! we did everything last night to prepare and at work we are getting ready. pleanty of supplies and batteries, gas for our grills ice for the coolers so bring it on WE ARE READY !
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Before you do that, can you add me as a beficiary on your life insurance policy. Accidental Death pays double indemnity I think.

I will, but only under a condition. You want to profit in the case of my death, and I'm okay with that. But what's in it for me if I don't die? Here's my proposal. You give me $100, and I'll make you a beneficiary. This way, we both take a gamble. This seems fare for you. I gamble my life, and you only gamble a mere $100.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i'm orginally from the jersey coast but now i live outside philly.. my parents are still in nj though and their county has issued mandatory evacuations for parts of their county - not their town though... yet! i am hoping they come here if that happens.

we are still preparing though outside philly, just prepping for any power outages and the storm..

it is scary though, especially if you are living in nj where i'm from - i know tons of people in that area who were evacuated and the fact that many are being evacuated is scary. i understand people who lived in florida or have experienced many hurricanes don't think it is a big deal but it is to US. even living in PA I am still on alert and scared. it is natural. the new jersey coast is not used to dealing with a storm this big, catergory 1 or 2 or WHATEVER who cares. the important thing is people get away from the shoreline and take the warnings seriously.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow we are removing all the AC's and window fans, clearing off all our patio furniture and plants...and we should be good...as long as a tree doesn't fall on the roof again or through a window!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Can't believe how Irene is pushing warmer water up ahead of her. Good luck to those of you in her path! Freeze empy gallon milk containers filled with water, put important paperwork in ziploc bags, fill your tubs with water, get propane or briquets for your grills and I prayer you won't be without power as long as we were after Ike hit. Two weeks no power just about made me crazy!!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    South Shore long Island NY here.. we are all ready and waiting.. So much talk about it lets get this over with already i say..
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Spent 10 years in Patchogue!!

Ohhhh and if you own a generator make sure you have fresh gasoline in it and extra too! ;)
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    They have started evacuating parts of Salisbury. Unfortunately my hubby works at a grocery store and they have to stay open as long as possible. He was supposed to be off tomorrow but he got called in. Which I understand. I prepped everything outside and even got stuff together in case they say evacuate. I know some people don't think it's a big deal. But I have a 2 yr old and 8 month old. I couldn't live with myself if something happens and I didn't do everything I could to keep them safe.

Be safe everyone!!!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    yes but were the end of this storm....i live in nh...so i dont know if we'll see much if we do it will be a first
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    They have started evacuating parts of Salisbury. Unfortunately my hubby works at a grocery store and they have to stay open as long as possible. He was supposed to be off tomorrow but he got called in. Which I understand. I prepped everything outside and even got stuff together in case they say evacuate. I know some people don't think it's a big deal. But I have a 2 yr old and 8 month old. I couldn't live with myself if something happens and I didn't do everything I could to keep them safe.

Be safe everyone!!!

always better to be safe, than sorry!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    where in ct and we are ready!!!
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Growing up in Florida and being directly in the path of three hurricanes in a row one summer, I don't find it to be a big deal at all. People are acting like it's the apocalypse, but I suppose I can't blame you because you guys up here aren't used to this sort of thing. I'm in CT now, and I hear it's only supposed to be cat 1 by the time it hits, so I'm not even a little bit worried. I'll just sleep like I always do in a hurricane. (Though we do need batteries for the flashlights, just in case our power goes out.)

Actually C2.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

It may be so now, but it's expected to be a cat 1 by the time it hits.

And either way, to me a cat 2 is still nothing to worry about.

the famous summer of 04 ?!?!? :) That was a good one, huh... ? cat 2 is no worry, except for the tornado potential.