Hey you food experts, get in here. Yogurt expired!

Options
Banks01
Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
Good morning, so I've got 8 or 9 single serving yogurts that have all expired in the last week. Do you think it's still safe to eat?

I intended to use them in smoothies but used that high protein Greek stuff instead.

Replies

• mapinkerton
    Options
    Yes they are probably fine. I have eaten yogurt after the expiration date.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I'm no food expert but I often buy expired yogurt from a dicount store around here. I eat it and have never had a problem. After all, I don't think the yogurt can read the date on the lid :laugh: Sorry, just had to be silly....
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    some brands actually say they are good for 7 days past the sell date. I think Dannon or yoplait.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    Go ahead and eat them. Just leave your entire estate to MFP, just in case :laugh:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    If it isn't moldy, it doesn't smell bad and it doesn't taste bad, in it goes :-D
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Take a chance....eat em!

(I would)

Seriously, expired within the past week? You're fine. But stay near a bathroom, just in case :laugh:
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I cant eat it if it expired I throw it!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    eek! I'll be the only person to say no lol because I wouldn't.. but apparently per above it's okay! Go for it :)
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can eat yogurt at least a month after they 'expired'.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    The expiration date on most things is actually the date that the store has to sell them by. They don't actually go bad on that day or the store would be liable every time someone bought one the day it expired, ate it in the car, and got food poisoning. Milk, for instance, is good for usually a week after the date on the bottle. The only thing I have seen that works different is meat, and it says, sell by date, and then a use or freeze by date.
  • sara_j_barnard
    Options
    Yogurt does really well past its date, in my experience. Maybe it's the cultures. I agree with 1a1a, trust your eyes and nose.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everybody. Into the blender they go today!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    If the lid gets kind of "blown up" looking or pressure I would say dont eat them. But I have eaten yogurt up to 2 weeks or more after expiration and its always been fine.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Take a chance....eat em!

(I would)

Seriously, expired within the past week? You're fine. But stay near a bathroom, just in case :laugh:

Haha. Ok
  • Banks01
    Options
    If the lid gets kind of "blown up" looking or pressure I would say dont eat them. But I have eaten yogurt up to 2 weeks or more after expiration and its always been fine.

It's the public brand with the foil top. None are blown yet
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Next time when you shop go early in the morning and pick out all the expired stuff and see if you can get a discount.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those individuals that just can't consume anything that is expired. :sick: Pitch it.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Next time when you shop go early in the morning and pick out all the expired stuff and see if you can get a discount.

Alton brown buys the ugly spotted bananas and freezes them for smoothies. 35 cents for a bundle. Haven't seen that work anywhere but Harrys or publix.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those individuals that just can't consume anything that is expired. :sick: Pitch it.
    ^5.
  • takm0527
    takm0527 Posts: 53
    Options
    I actually asked my friend who is a health inspector this same question a few months ago.

Yep..you can...the date is more of a "Best by" date. She said you can go up to a month.

Just watch for the signs the others said- smell, foil popped up etc.