Hey you food experts, get in here. Yogurt expired!

Options
2»

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    They're safe to eat! Really, unless it's more than a week, then they might be a bit dodgy.

Personally, I can't eat anything on it's expiry date, nevermind a day after.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I actually asked my friend who is a health inspector this same question a few months ago.

Yep..you can...the date is more of a "Best by" date. She said you can go up to a month.

Just watch for the signs the others said- smell, foil popped up etc.

Awesome
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    As long as it doesn't have any weird looking lumps and doesn't smell poopy... you should be fine
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    As a rule the only yoghurt i won't eat if a few days out of date is a peach one. when its in your mouth you can't tell if that fuzz is from the skin or a nice wee mould growth
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I've routinely eaten yogurt that was 2 months past the expiration date and it was fine. As long as it doesn't have mold or smell funny it's good. I work in a small office where everyone brings yogurt and leaves it in the fridge to forget about. And because no one will eat them expired, I pretty much get them all. Never a single problem. Haven't even ran into one that was bad.
  • Banks01
    Options
    As a rule the only yoghurt i won't eat if a few days out of date is a peach one. when its in your mouth you can't tell if that fuzz is from the skin or a nice wee mould growth

Haha. Eww
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those individuals that just can't consume anything that is expired. :sick: Pitch it.

Me too LOL!!
  • Banks01
    Options
    Ok. I made smoothie with one that's two weeks past. Let's see what happens :)
  • deborahErini
    Options
    We must know that expiration date, as it turns out, isn't much of an indicator as to whether or not our food should be discarded for safety reasons. The expiration date that seems on packaged food is complicated to many people, largely as a result of phrases used, such as “Best Before,” “Sell By” or “Use By.” Is food still safe to eat on that date, or somewhat after that date? Let's consider saving money by understanding what that expiration date indicates. Check more here.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    eek! I'll be the only person to say no lol because I wouldn't.. but apparently per above it's okay! Go for it :)

I've also heard that most products are good for a week after the expiration date.

However, I came down with severe food poisoning once and never, never, never want to go through that again (it was NOT from yogurt). Nothing is worth that experience. Nothing. I am super careful now and wouldn't eat anything expired. What does it cost, a dollar a container? You are worth more than that. Buy a new one.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've been there done that and it was fine!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning, so I've got 8 or 9 single serving yogurts that have all expired in the last week. Do you think it's still safe to eat?

I intended to use them in smoothies but used that high protein Greek stuff instead.

You could call the company that made them and ask them if it's okay to eat. I did that once with something and was told a week after the date was okay.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    for lack of a better answer, yogurt is already "bad" with a special kind of bacteria... past the date a month or so , the cultures keep growing, it might become stronger flavored, and less sweet, but otherwise the taste will nto change

as long as properly refrigerated, should be fine
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My friend's brother would travel out of the country constantly and he would prepare his gut by eating expired yogurt because of the increased bacteria growth. If my Hispanic coworkers can leave their lunch on their desk for six hours and then bring it home and eat it the next day, I imagine I'll be fine.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My grandma eats yogurt MONTHS past the expiration. Out of curiosity I sniffed it and took a bite once, and it tasted fine. Eat it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What they said.

Unless you see mold or it has swollen or smells bad, it's fine. Dairy products are one of the easiest to tell if they've gone off.