Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Shake weight

I was wondering had anyone tried this and it worked for them. I ran into an old friend who had lost over 100lbs and she told me she had been using it and loved it. Dont want to waste money on a gimmick so just wondering what others thought about it????

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    gimmick. the trainers at my gym have it as a joke to all the money ppl spend on stuff that doesnt work, when a trainer could help get them those hot arms!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    When I told my 14 year old daughter I would not get one for her because it looks like she is doing a sex act. she made a big scene at Walmart and won't go near it now. I would bust a gut every time I see anyone do that thing. :laugh:
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    When I told my 14 year old daughter I would not get one for her because it looks like she is doing a sex act. she made a big scene at Walmart and won't go near it now. I would bust a gut every time I see anyone do that thing. :laugh:

Oh good! I'm not the only one! LOL

That thing looks vicicous... ;-)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member

I second that!! I am glad I am not the only one with my mind in the gutter!! I have always thought it looked like someone squeezing their squirrel!!:noway: Its definitely a gimmick.
  • I wouldnt buy it. I would just buy regular weights for your arms
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Don't waste your money. Get some regular handweights. Cheaper and more versatile.
  • powie
    powie Posts: 1
    Was given to me as a gift and it definitely works to tone your arms. My husband even uses it. I prefer to lift weights for toning but use it as a little mix up once in awhile. Yes trainers can get you those arms for MUCH MORE than what you would pay for the shake weight...worth the try if you are going to be consistent with using it. If you are someone who does something for a couple weeks and then stops, don't waste your money.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    I'd stick with the Gazelle

gazelle-freestyle.jpg
  • I'd stick with the Gazelle

gazelle-freestyle.jpg

Hey you can slam the shake weight things, but don't mock my Gazelle.
    that DOES work- at least for me...
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    I don't use any fancy trendy workout devices... but I actually respect them. There's nothing wrong with the shake-weight, from what I can tell. It'll work out your muscles and if you consistently used it you WOULD see progress. As someone mentioned above, it costs a lot less than a trainer.

Figure out what exercise you like, and do it. Then find another exercise you like and mix that in too. If you like the Gazelle, use it. My mother in law bought one of those and used it for a while. It's a fine no-impact cardio workout. It's not going to get you ripped, that's not what cardio is for.

Anyway, I think the mocking attitude toward non-traditional workouts is foolish. If it works for someone, go for it. I'd rather see people blow some money buying exercise equipment they only use a few times than see them spend more on their cable, buy another dinner out, or whatever.

Just my take.

FYI, my workouts: running (on a treadmill or outside), pushups, crunches/situps, planks, arm haulers, pullups/chinups, riding my bike, etc.
  • The gazelle is doing wonders for me too. I love that thing.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    I use it daily. Best money I've ever spent. I have strengthened my core considerable, increased my forearm strength, and my biceps and triceps have bulked up. I don't even go to the gym anymore. I do all of my strength training with the shake weight, and get my cardio from doing jumping jacks.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses and from what I can see here is that every person who has accually tryed it loved it. I have huge arms and saw one for 20 bucks so I may try it and see if it does anything for these arms, I am thinking it can hurt anything!!!!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses and from what I can see here is that every person who has accually tryed it loved it. I have huge arms and saw one for 20 bucks so I may try it and see if it does anything for these arms, I am thinking it can hurt anything!!!!

If you're hoping that the shake weight will make your arms skinnier, you're going to be disappointed. That's not what it's for. Nothing will target the fat on your arms. Doing arm exercises will make your arms better muscled.

To lose weight on your arms you just need to keep losing weight everywhere. As your body fat decreases the fat repositories everywhere (including your trouble spots) will go away.

I do wish I could target a spot to lose fat... but it's not to be. Oh well, we'll get there!
  • I wasnt trying to loose weight in my arms but hoping to tone them up ALOT
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member

I was going to go there, but someone beat me to it....
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I'd stick with the Gazelle

gazelle-freestyle.jpg

AAAGH!! HA! HA! HA! HA!

I must admit I tried this one time... blame thing tried to rape me.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    The gazelle is doing wonders for me too. I love that thing.

i love my gazelle too!!!! ;o) OK, YEEESSSS the Tony guy is ridiculous and the video he does for it is even more ridiculous.... but i can get a damn good cardio workout on that thing. and i paid WAAYYY less than I'd pay for a stupid treadmill that takes up way more room and kills my knees.

I'm curious about the shakeweight too no matter how bad it looks and how funny the SNL video is... haha... HAHAHA... makes me laugh just remembering the video. hahaha... MAN, funny stuff. Seriously though, does the shake weight help??
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    No it doesn't work. It's bull****. If stroking something back and forth repeatedly counted as calories, then every guy would have ridiculous V02 max capacities.
  • I'm going to admit that I've used it before and would recommend it. You can really feel it tensing your muscles. It's hard to keep it up for very long at all. And I like using it to tone up that part of the arm the connects the shoulder/arm pit to the side boob. I'm sure the ladies know what i'm talking about.