weird foods that turned out to be AWESOME.

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I love food, and I love trying different foods and combinations, so I was thinking maybe we all could share some unexpectedly good foods and food combinations. I'll start.............

I tried a cauliflower crust pizza recipe that was so good pizza will never have to be horribly unhealthy for me again.

Red Bartlett pears with gorgonzola cheese crumbled on top.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love food, and I love trying different foods and combinations, so I was thinking maybe we all could share some unexpectedly good foods and food combinations. I'll start.............

I tried a cauliflower crust pizza recipe that was so good pizza will never have to be horribly unhealthy for me again.

Red Bartlett pears with gorgonzola cheese crumbled on top.

wanna share your crust recipe??
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    it's not weird but I was impressed how much I liked vegetable noodles.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    where did you find a cauliflower crust pizza? Did you make it? I would like the recipe please!!!!
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Would love that pizza recipie :happy:
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    ladies ladies calm down hahaha jk, I'll get the recipe and post it under here right now for ya!
  • macylane4
    Options
    Nothing too odd just been eating the veggie substitutes!! Like morning star boca...etc. It is really almost better then the real thing! I try not to get to experimental since I can't cook in the first place!!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love grated zucchini as noodles!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Here ya go! It's phenomenal

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower* (steam it let it cool a bit grate in with a cheese grater)
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce

toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
    mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. I used parchment paper(not wax) instead of pam it made the crust even crispier

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

LINK ~~~~~ http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold
  • amadapooky76
    Options
    bump!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I was pretty surprised at how much I liked cauliflower rice. I love cauliflower, so I shouldn't have been that surprised, but I was surprised that I liked in place of rice.
  • macylane4
    Options
    How does that work? How do you make it into noodles? Also do you use the skin? Im so new to cooking I have to ask a million questions!! I love noodles, but hate the calories...this might be something awesome!!!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    green machine (smoothie)

I never thought I would like sushi as much as I do

Pho
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    yum
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    BUMP
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    note:
    there are several great cauliflower crust recipes, along with lots of other great recipes, in the recipes forum here in mfp.

the nutella, banana and wonton wrapper 'bundles' are fantastic... definitely worth perusing that section for ideas *S*

edited to add:

and to discover i love saurkraut (low sodium of course) and chopped fresh apple baked together for a fantastic and healthy side dish sorta blew me away *L*
  • macylane4
    Options
    Everybody add your recipes on here too!!! I really am getting bored with the easy stuff, and I want to make sure to stay on a healthy track! I need some awesome good ideas for what to eat!!!!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Nutella banana wontons recipe

If you are anything like me, you have to have something sweet at the end of the day. It doesn't take much to satisfy my sweet tooth, but it always has to be a bite of heaven to end the evening.

I made these last night, and let me tell you...a bite of heaven doesn't even describe the awesomeness. nom. One of these suckers was plenty to make me happy, but I had two because I made two and I couldn't allow the lonely little wonton to sit there uneaten, so I ate it.

Warning - Only make as many as you want to eat. Otherwise, if you make more...you will eat more. You have been warned.

1 wonton wrapper - 20 calories
    1 teaspoon Nutella - 33 calories
    1 slice banana - 7 calories (I am guessing, but it can't be more lol)

1 Nutella/Banana Wonton - 60 calories & a smile

You will need:

Wonton Wrappers
    Nutella
    Sliced Bananas
    1 Egg, beaten
    PAM Spray

Directions:

* Place Wonton wrapper on a flat surface
    * Add one teaspoon of heaven, I mean Nutella in the middle
    * Lick spoon (don't act like you are not going to lick the spoon
    * Place the banana slice on top
    * Dip finger in beaten eggs and glaze the edges of the wonton
    * bring all for corners to the middle and press all sides to make it look like...I don't know, make it look like something
    * Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet and place wontons on sheet
    * Spray the top of the wontons just a little so that they crisp up when they cook
    * Place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the wonton is brown and crispy looking
    * Remove Wontons and cry a little out of happiness

Enjoy!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Dutch Pancakes with bacon, cheese and thick maple syrup :tongue:

It sounded totaly weird to me and I thought my Dutch friends were mad putting syrup on something savoury... but it sooo works :bigsmile: Of course they also thought we were mad to eat ketchup with ours. :laugh:

Of course, if you eat a whole plateful, you're on veggies for the rest of week. but I need to find someone to go halves with me :happy:
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump! saving for pizza recipe!!!!.. that's awesome!
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Zucchini?? I either put it through the cuisinart with the shredding disc or I use carrot peeler and peel of thick slices for noodles.

I love eating them with thai peanut sauce and fresh basil leaves...just microwae about a min on high. Also yummy with ricotta cheese and parmesean or with asian orange sauce and green onion.