weird foods that turned out to be AWESOME.

Options

Replies

• seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Great idea for the pizza crust. I would like to try that for sure!!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Where would you buy cauliflower rice? Specialty foods aisle or would I need to go to a special foods grocery?
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carkycarky
    Options
    i made quinoa last night with mushrooms and scallions. Super high protein grain. it was amazing! :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Where would you buy cauliflower rice? Specialty foods aisle or would I need to go to a special foods grocery?

I was confused by that too. Riced cauliflower is when you steam it, let it cool so you can handle it then shred it with a cheese grater
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    Oh my gosh I am so hungry now for pizza I will have to try this. I have also been wondering how Quinoa taste and I see it sounds tasty so I will have to try that as well. Thanks for sharing. Yummy!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I thought it was really weird when a site recommended, to make your meatloaf low-carb, replacing the breadcrumbs with shredded zucchini. But it really works well!

I'm from a traditional beef-&-potatoes Midwestern American family, so I was very surprised when I tried & liked sushi.
    Also hummus.

Also, I always think of nutmeg as more of a baking/sweet spice, not a savory-food spice, but recently I made a hamburger-spinach casserole and found that a sprinkle of nutmeg on top added just the right touch.
  • Horseymama
    Horseymama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh snap! These two recipes are going into the book!
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. I know there are people who love yolks, but I really am not missing them. I was using whole eggs when I needed protein and wanted real food but didn't really feel like cooking, but shortly after joining MFP I bought a carton of All Whites, and I tell you I am not missing the yolks. Add some reduced fat cheese and I am happy.

Definitely going to try the Nutella Wraps - YUM

Seriously considering the Cauliflower Pizza, but I hate cauliflower. Can you taste it at all, or do the spices and yummy mozzarella really make you unable to detect the cauliflower?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. I know there are people who love yolks, but I really am not missing them. I was using whole eggs when I needed protein and wanted real food but didn't really feel like cooking, but shortly after joining MFP I bought a carton of All Whites, and I tell you I am not missing the yolks. Add some reduced fat cheese and I am happy.

Definitely going to try the Nutella Wraps - YUM

Seriously considering the Cauliflower Pizza, but I hate cauliflower. Can you taste it at all, or do the spices and yummy mozzarella really make you unable to detect the cauliflower?

I experimented on my fiance, he didn't even know there was cauliflower in it.........if I had told him he probably wouldn't have tried it lol.
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump for that yummy wonton nutella banana recipe!!
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nutella banana wontons recipe

If you are anything like me, you have to have something sweet at the end of the day. It doesn't take much to satisfy my sweet tooth, but it always has to be a bite of heaven to end the evening.

I made these last night, and let me tell you...a bite of heaven doesn't even describe the awesomeness. nom. One of these suckers was plenty to make me happy, but I had two because I made two and I couldn't allow the lonely little wonton to sit there uneaten, so I ate it.

Warning - Only make as many as you want to eat. Otherwise, if you make more...you will eat more. You have been warned.

1 wonton wrapper - 20 calories
    1 teaspoon Nutella - 33 calories
    1 slice banana - 7 calories (I am guessing, but it can't be more lol)

1 Nutella/Banana Wonton - 60 calories & a smile

You will need:

Wonton Wrappers
    Nutella
    Sliced Bananas
    1 Egg, beaten
    PAM Spray

Directions:

* Place Wonton wrapper on a flat surface
    * Add one teaspoon of heaven, I mean Nutella in the middle
    * Lick spoon (don't act like you are not going to lick the spoon
    * Place the banana slice on top
    * Dip finger in beaten eggs and glaze the edges of the wonton
    * bring all for corners to the middle and press all sides to make it look like...I don't know, make it look like something
    * Spray the bottom of a cookie sheet and place wontons on sheet
    * Spray the top of the wontons just a little so that they crisp up when they cook
    * Place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the wonton is brown and crispy looking
    * Remove Wontons and cry a little out of happiness

Enjoy!

i am drooling while reading this!! :bigsmile: Def making these asap!! Thank you!
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I'm sure I will forget to mention the ingredients to my boyfriend so that we can both try it. Thanks for passing on the yummy recipes.
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I hate cauliflower, but am willing to give this a shot! BUMP!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein. When I started my weight loss, I thought "Oh, I could never do THAT!" It just sounded so hard core body builder has to taste like crap stuff. (Think 'eating her curds and whey' yuck!) Now, I think my whey protein shakes are the best part of my workout!
    I just started putting a tablespoon of sliced black olives in my pam fried egg whites and I really enjoy the extra taste.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    i wanna try the cauli crust. .. my ex mil years ago made me some mashed cauliflower and it was ok.. she was on south beach and that was a recipe for it.

Recently, i have also tried tofu noodles, soy chocolate milk and soy tofu hummus. 'normal' to some people, but to me all new! :)

oh and i am making spaghetti squash next week
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chantihayes
    Options
    . double post on accident, cant figure how to delete. sorry.
  • XiaoRuRu
    XiaoRuRu Posts: 83
    Options
    This was a new one for me but maybe not for all.

Spinach and strawberry salad.

My cousin made it. Just baby spinach and sliced strawberries. My dad added dried bacon bits which I guess aren't terrible but I avoid it. And then just spritz a balsamic vinaigrette on it and you've got a delicious break from the usual salad that is packed with nutrients.
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Gotta try this:happy: