Raw diet heavy in greens is key to gorilla slimness and heal

Options
Kristhin
Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
The New York Times recently published an article asserting that a high protein intake -- similar, they say, to the Atkins diet -- is the reason gorillas in the wild are thin and in good health.

What?!

Yep, you read that right: the New York Times is using gorilla nutrition to try to promote the Atkins diet.

The Atkins diet is of course high in eggs, meat, dairy, bacon and other cholesterol-laden foods, while low on carbs. It's your basic garbage nonsense diet designed to lose weight fast and put you into an early grave -- Atkins himself died at the age of 72, weighing 258 pounds, at 6 feet tall.

So what kind of Atkins Diet are gorillas eating?

Gorillas are folivores - an herbivore that specializes in eating leaves. They eat a diet that is predominantly leaves and vegetative matter, although they also eat smaller amounts of fruits, roots, and insects (i.e., about 3% of their diet is termites).

In other words, gorillas in the wild suffer from no obesity or health problems - because they eat a very lowfat, essentially raw food diet, emphasizing leafy greens.

This is not a surprise, nor is it an Atkins diet. It is high in protein because of the obvious high protein content of greens. Spinach is 49 percent protein, kale is 45 percent protein, broccoli is 45 percent protein, lettuce is 34 percent protein, Chinese cabbage is 34 percent protein, and so forth.

So is the New York Times telling Atkins to make his diet a raw food diet? Here's what the New York Times says:

During certain times of the year, when fruits are not available, protein-rich leaves dominate the gorilla’s diet, the report found. About 31 percent of the total energy intake is protein during these times. This is similar to the protein content in high-protein weight-loss regimens like the Atkins diet...

Modern societies “are diluting the concentration of protein in the modern diet,” Dr. Raubenheimer said. “But we eat to get the same amount of proteins we needed before, and in so doing, we’re overeating.”

The article is written by someone who is mesmerized by the meat industry propaganda about protein, taught to children starting in grade school.

According to the World Health Organization, human requirement for protein is about 2.5 percent of calories, so they set the minimum, just to be safe, at 5 percent.

The myth of the necessity or even usefulness of protein is exposed when you see what the protein needs of humans are during the period of most growth - infancy. Breast milk is only 6 percent protein. So the idea in the New York Times that apes or humans actually require 31 percent of their diet as protein, and that we are eating ourselves to death in order to get that much required protein - is utterly ridiculous.

The take home message of the report on gorillas, as it may apply to humans, is to eat a plant-based diet and include plenty of green leafy foods. That will lead you to slimness and health, not Atkins.

Protein is the mantra of the brainwashed: Where do you get your protein? the indoctrinated ask.

The medical term for protein deficiency is -- oh wait, there is no medical term for it. Because it's never diagnosed.

How would you even test for a protein deficiency? The only way to tell if you are protein deficient -- is if you are staving. Starvation means you are simply not eating enough calories, and thus you aren't getting enough protein (or carbs or fat...or anything).

The moral? The protein pushers are insidious, and can't even acknowledge that a very close relative of humans is thriving magnificently on a healthy plant-strong diet which is 97% vegan.

Replies

• sarahsmart88
    Options
    That's crazy. So we should eat termites? lol jk.

Even if people can't commit to being fully vegan, I hope they see the credibility in living a MAINLY plant-based diet. Baby steps toward health :)

Thanks for posting this!
  • highwayhunny
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've been feeling that way for a long time and people look at me like I'm crazy lol!
  • MLEme
    MLEme Posts: 45
    Options
    I am going to guess that gorilla's are healthy becuase they have not yet figured out the drive-through.... :wink:
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    there are some people that have some sort of success that sticks on atkins. personally, my grandmother tried atkins when it started being a fad thing, and she ended up almost dead in the hospital.

what pisses me off most is when people try to use other animals as models for humans. our closest ape cousins are still very different than humans, whether it be by diet or how our bodies function....
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am doing an alkalizing diet, which is 90% green vegetables. I do eat as raw as possible, i can't stomach green beans or broccoli or cauliflower raw.. Guess where i just came from... ATKINS...

I do believe atkins is a good program, I have nothing against it, it has agood foundation in science. High cholestrol ISNT BAD, supposedly people with high cholesterol live longer, a ton of hormones run on cholestrol. The issue is the arteries they get scared, which causes cholestrol to stick to them. If there is no scaring there is no sticking. What causes this scaring??? CARBS.

I can tell you that my diet(alkalizing diet) is NOT ATKINS... and you're right about the protein, I am starting to think protein is highly over rated. Some of those most biggest animals in the world eat plants.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    This is nice,i needed something to read as I was eating my big ole juicey hamburger yummmmmmmmm
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet is of course high in eggs, meat, dairy, bacon and other cholesterol-laden foods, while low on carbs. It's your basic garbage nonsense diet designed to lose weight fast and put you into an early grave -- Atkins himself died at the age of 72, weighing 258 pounds, at 6 feet tall.

Based on this, you know nothing about the Atkins diet or Dr. Atkins himself. I do not follow the Atkins diet, but if you read his book (which I did), you would find that he actually promotes eating foods in its natural form, and that the body is designed to process nuts, fruits, veggies, and meat, not all of the processed junk that's currently all over the television and on grocery store shelves. He doesn't say, "eat bacon, for it is good for you." What he says is, "eat butter instead of margarine because butter is natural. Eat a serving of leafy greens with your steak because it is good for you."

Also, 258 pounds is not terribly overweight for someone who is 6 foot tall. You make it sound like he weighed 350 pounds for something. And he didn't die of a heart attack or get put in an early grave - he was 72. And again, he didn't die from the foods he was eating. He fell and hit his head.

Again, I am not on the Atkins diet. I love potatoes too much to give them up ever. lol
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    A cow killed my mama,and ive vowed to seek revenge on the whole species one juicy burger,and leather coat at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • portexploit
    Options

Based on this, you know nothing about the Atkins diet or Dr. Atkins himself. I do not follow the Atkins diet, but if you read his book (which I did), you would find that he actually promotes eating foods in its natural form, and that the body is designed to process nuts, fruits, veggies, and meat, not all of the processed junk that's currently all over the news. He doesn't say, "eat bacon, for it is good for you." What he says is, "eat butter instead of margarine because butter is natural. Eat a serving of leafy greens with your steak because it is good for you."

Also, 258 pounds is not terribly overweight for someone who is 6 foot tall. You make it sound like he weighed 350 pounds for something. And he didn't die of a heart attack or get put in an early grave - he was 72. And again, he didn't die from the foods he was eating. He fell and hit his head.

Again, I am not on the Atkins diet. I love potatoes too much to give them up ever. lol

I agree pretty much. I did the math and for me to be at 8% bodyfat i have to weigh 235lbs. I am 6'2" plus HES OLD!!!
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some people can experience protein deficiency. I personally know a friend who wasn't eating enough protein rich foods and was showing different symptoms. She ended up having a blood test done which stated that she was deficient in protein.

Here are some of the most common symptoms:

-Edema - A collection of fluid under the skin, which most commonly affects the legs, feet, and ankles, but can occur anywhere on the body.
    -Weight loss
    -Thinning or brittle hair, hair loss
    -Ridges or deep lines in finger and toe nails
    -Skin becomes very light, burns easily in the sun
    -Reduced pigmentation in the hair on scalp and body
    -Skin rashes, dryness, flakiness
    -General weakness and lethargy
    -Muscle soreness and weakness, cramps
    -Slowness in healing wounds, cuts, scrapes, and bruises
    -Bedsores and other skin ulcers
    -Difficulty sleeping
    -Headache
    -Nausea and stomach pain
    -Fainting
    -Crankiness, moodiness
    -Severe depression
    -Anxiety
    -Lack of energy, no desire to do things

If you are deficient in protein and don't want to go the meat eating route, here are some foods that are high in protein.

Legumes and beans
    Soy, mycoprotein and tofu products
    Nuts and seeds
    Sprouted seeds
    Whole grains
    Algae and seaweed
    Most plant foods contain protein

Sourced from: http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Protein_Deficiency_Symptoms
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Interesting article! Yeah, I don't think that Atkins is anything like what gorillas eat...
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. So we should eat termites? lol jk.

If you could get termites, I bet (1) it would be hella healthy and (2) you would lose serious weight.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the moron who wrote the article just saw the movie Greystoke, The Legend of Tarzan....

"Damn, that boy is pretty jack3d! Well no wonder... he was raised by meat-eating Gorillas", hehe

00112.jpg
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    This Gorilla appreciates the NY Times effort.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This Gorilla appreciates the NY Times effort.

You must not have read the article then. :laugh:

The article basically states that gorillas get 15-30%% of their energy from protein...and it ALL comes from protein rich leaves. To compare this type of diet to atkins is ridiculous.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    A cow killed my mama,and ive vowed to seek revenge on the whole species one juicy burger,and leather coat at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They deleted all our comments and now yours stand alone. Pass the burger.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    portexploit, since you are on a raw diet, do you do a lot of juicing? or do you mostly just make fancy raw recipes? i've been to raw veg restaurants before that are delicious but it seems time consuming to try to make the same types of things myself.
    just wanted to see your thoughts or what you do. ;)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I think I'll settle for a nice big juicy steak from a cow rather than eating termites and leaves from trees. :bigsmile:
  • portexploit
    Options
    portexploit, since you are on a raw diet, do you do a lot of juicing? or do you mostly just make fancy raw recipes? i've been to raw veg restaurants before that are delicious but it seems time consuming to try to make the same types of things myself.
    just wanted to see your thoughts or what you do. ;)

I sometimes eat cooked food, because i get tired of certain foods. I don't do juicing with a juicer, I do have a juicer. I do have a vitamix blender. Being a raw foodist i know you know what that is.I use that because the fiber is in the juice and it's easier to digest then chewing your food. I have the book "The pH Miracle" I follow recipes out of that book. I make a gallon of alkalizing water, 2 cucumbers 2 lemons, some cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic some water, i put that in my vitamix...once it's emulsified I put it in to a gallon container, and then i fill the rest of the gallon with water... So I have a gallon of alkalizing juice I drink through the day.
  • portexploit
    Options
    This is nice,i needed something to read as I was eating my big ole juicey hamburger yummmmmmmmm
    I think I'll settle for a nice big juicy steak from a cow rather than eating termites and leaves from trees

Don't get colon cancer, since red meat has been lnked to colon cancer.