Raw diet heavy in greens is key to gorilla slimness and heal

Options

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    portexploit, I hear the Vitamix is wonderful! I really want to get one but haven't yet bc of the price! Thx for the info. :)
  • change_happens
    Options
    The medical term for protein deficiency is -- oh wait, there is no medical term for it. Because it's never diagnosed.

How would you even test for a protein deficiency? The only way to tell if you are protein deficient -- is if you are staving. Starvation means you are simply not eating enough calories, and thus you aren't getting enough protein (or carbs or fat...or anything).

The moral? The protein pushers are insidious, and can't even acknowledge that a very close relative of humans is thriving magnificently on a healthy plant-strong diet which is 97% vegan.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/total-serum-protein
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    The medical term for protein deficiency is -- oh wait, there is no medical term for it. Because it's never diagnosed.

How would you even test for a protein deficiency? The only way to tell if you are protein deficient -- is if you are staving. Starvation means you are simply not eating enough calories, and thus you aren't getting enough protein (or carbs or fat...or anything).

The moral? The protein pushers are insidious, and can't even acknowledge that a very close relative of humans is thriving magnificently on a healthy plant-strong diet which is 97% vegan.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/total-serum-protein

Ka-POW! :laugh:
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options

Gorillas are folivores - an herbivore that specializes in eating leaves. They eat a diet that is predominantly leaves and vegetative matter, although they also eat smaller amounts of fruits, roots, and insects (i.e., about 3% of their diet is termites).

In other words, gorillas in the wild suffer from no obesity or health problems - because they eat a very lowfat, essentially raw food diet, emphasizing leafy greens.

This is not a surprise, nor is it an Atkins diet. It is high in protein because of the obvious high protein content of greens. Spinach is 49 percent protein, kale is 45 percent protein, broccoli is 45 percent protein, lettuce is 34 percent protein, Chinese cabbage is 34 percent protein, and so forth.

So is the New York Times telling Atkins to make his diet a raw food diet? Here's what the New York Times says:

During certain times of the year, when fruits are not available, protein-rich leaves dominate the gorilla’s diet, the report found. About 31 percent of the total energy intake is protein during these times. This is similar to the protein content in high-protein weight-loss regimens like the Atkins diet...

Modern societies “are diluting the concentration of protein in the modern diet,” Dr. Raubenheimer said. “But we eat to get the same amount of proteins we needed before, and in so doing, we’re overeating.”

The article is written by someone who is mesmerized by the meat industry propaganda about protein, taught to children starting in grade school.

According to the World Health Organization, human requirement for protein is about 2.5 percent of calories, so they set the minimum, just to be safe, at 5 percent.

The myth of the necessity or even usefulness of protein is exposed when you see what the protein needs of humans are during the period of most growth - infancy. Breast milk is only 6 percent protein. So the idea in the New York Times that apes or humans actually require 31 percent of their diet as protein, and that we are eating ourselves to death in order to get that much required protein - is utterly ridiculous.

The take home message of the report on gorillas, as it may apply to humans, is to eat a plant-based diet and include plenty of green leafy foods. That will lead you to slimness and health, not Atkins.

Protein is the mantra of the brainwashed: Where do you get your protein? the indoctrinated ask.

Doesn't the fact that gorillas eat 3% termites make them an omnivore by definition?

You do realize that Around died of head trauma, not the cursed meat eating...

I for one am glad that inherited the gorillas meat eating gene!
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is nice,i needed something to read as I was eating my big ole juicey hamburger yummmmmmmmm
    I think I'll settle for a nice big juicy steak from a cow rather than eating termites and leaves from trees

Don't get colon cancer, since red meat has been lnked to colon cancer.

Please don't make these kind of generalizations. My aunt has colon cancer, and she eats very little red meat. Colon cancer is linked to age, family descent, family medical history, a tendency to get polyps, IBS, and certain genetic mutations. Yes, a diet HIGH in red meat can lead to colon cancer, but there are other factors.

I understand that people aren't very supportive of a vegan diet here. But if you continuously respond in a negative manner, the thread will only devolve into banal insults and end up locked/deleted.

On-topic: I think there are some things we can learn from diets in gorillas. However, despite how close they are to us, there is a key difference in their digestive system (their colon, specifically) that allows their bodies to break down cellulose in a more efficient manner than our systems.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    I don't believe I ever said anything about meat being cursed ... and a 97% plant based diet would make an animal an herbivore seeing as how pretty much every animal eats some amount of bugs.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Kristhin... thanks for posting... I wish they had chosen their words more carefully, and did more research.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    Yes, I am well aware, and have been for years, that "Around" diet of head trauma.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    I don't believe I ever said anything about meat being cursed ... and a 97% plant based diet would make an animal an herbivore seeing as how pretty much every animal eats some amount of bugs.

But your implication was that Around died because he ate meat and or his diet plan.

And I still disagree on the definition of omnivore.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    First, you didn't provide a link to said article so I can't even comment on it directly..

Secondly, just because the Times publishes some arm-chair science doesn't mean anyone wants to hear your armchair science. Saying a different species entirely is "slim" because of their diet is pants-on-head retarded no matter which side is saying it because we're not the same species. Are we primates like them? Yes, but there are leaps and bounds between our genetic makeup.

You're not some oppressed minority because you have different dietary habits. Stop acting like it.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the witty banter. :happy:
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Just as a follow up for reference:

omnivore - an animal that feeds on both animal and vegetable substances
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

But your implication was that Around died because he ate meat and or his diet plan.

And I still disagree on the definition of omnivore.

I agree. She implied that "Around" died an early death - at the age of 72 - while being incredibly overweight and from his diet.

Also, I agree on the omnivore definition. They purposefully eat the termites. It's not like the 8 spiders we all eat in our sleep in our lifetime type of bug eating.

For reference, my husband's uncle is 6'0' and weighs 242 at 50 years old. He is quite thin and doesn't have a belly at all!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree on the omnivore definition. They purposefully eat the termites. It's not like the 8 spiders we all eat in our sleep in our lifetime type of bug eating.

Also in our chocolate bars.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I understand that people aren't very supportive of a vegan diet here. But if you continuously respond in a negative manner, the thread will only devolve into banal insults and end up locked/deleted.

People on this site have no problem with vegans. The problem is with preachy condescending posts.

Some of my best friends are either vegetarian or vegan. They have no problem with me eating meat and I have no problem with their choice of lifestyle.

Live and let live. :drinker:
  • Myobi
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore

There, that ought to help. Also note that different primate species eat different things. Some primates (chimps & baboons, for example) are omnivorous. Gorillas are not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Also in our chocolate bars.

Ick. And now I will never look at chocolate in the same light again. :sick:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

People on this site have no problem with vegans. The problem is with preachy condescending posts.

Some of my best friends are either vegetarian or vegan. They have no problem with me eating meat and I have no problem with their choice of lifestyle.

Exactly. My sister is vegan as is her boyfriend. When I go do see her, we'll eat somewhere where we both can have something we like. I don't say "why aren't you eating meat?!?!!" and they don't say "why are you eating meat?!?!" It's called respecting each others boundaries and not being a condescending t**t.
  • Myobi
    Options

Eh, here in the last couple of days there have been some pretty aggressive threads. People come to troll the threads they start, and then they respond with insults. I'm not saying I agree with the OP (I actually don't), but people seem to be latching onto weird things to argue about (like whether or not gorillas are omnivores and herbivores).
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options

Completely agree! I really don't care what anyone else eats.