Treadmill vs. Running outside

Options
13»

Replies

• me525
    me525 Posts: 155
    Options
    Whichever one you're more willing to do:) Of Course on the treadmill it's better to up the incline to at least 1% (less than this is equal to running slightly downhill when outside)

I have to run on the treadmill in the summer months (where i live the weather wracks HELL on my asthma), but in the fall and winter I love to be outside (it's easier to mark progess and i don't focus on time so much)

I hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Try running the same speed outside as you can on a treadmill and you'll see it's MUCH harder.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think that running inside on the treadmill is better on your knees. I know I can run longer on the treadmill. But Honestly, theres nothing like fresh air, and nature. Plus is you are outside you can talk and run'walk. I still having mastered a meaning full conversation while running on the treadmill, and I have always been able to multitask!!
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, I get bored if I run on a treadmill.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice, I like outdoors. I don't own a TV so I like the treadmill and catch up on news. :flowerforyou:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i am a treadmill runner and thought i was fit...then i went on a road run with my brother and oh my! i was absolutely hanging out....road running is definitely harder...and tbh my brother says running outside is a much better toner than just running on the road...calorie wise though neither seem to be 'more' of a burner than the other
  • Magalo
    Magalo Posts: 3
    Options
    I prefer running outside but I suffer from inflammatory pain in my knees so I need to minimize outside running... but now thats the weather is fresh I run outside. And I walk the dog at the same time:) This winter I'll be using the treamills in my school's gym.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I can run on the treadmil for eons, I find it boring and it doesn't really push me.

Outside is a lot more difficult and feels totally different and it's never boring.