Stubborn people changing their minds

I'm a very stubborn person and very set in my ways. I'm just curious, what beliefs, ideas, or practices have you changed since joining MFP?

For me, one big one was meal timing. I was previously of the mindset that for best results one should eat 6 times day - around every 2 or 3 hours. For the record, I DO eat this way, and always have, ever since I started my life of fitness, but it's more a matter of being comfortable throughout the day. I have seen enough people enjoying success with things like intermittent fasting, or even just eating 3 meals a day, that I have come to believe that meal timing is largely irrelevant.

What stubborn belief have you changed in the past several months?

Replies

• smersh
    smersh Posts: 36
    This is the internet.

People will argue to the death and never change their opinions.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    I also believed that! lol... but I also I used to think drinking water had no point. Coke was my water.. lol that has definately changed.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    I used to insist that "sugars from fruit and milk are fine, only watch your ADDED sugars".
    Until I cut way back on ALL sugars and saw a HUGE difference.
    Sugars from fruit and milk are still sugars and you shouldn't have 100g a day even if it IS all fruit and milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    Fat in the diet is a good thing.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    That my life was pointless without cheese. I'm adjusting fine.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    I used to insist that "sugars from fruit and milk are fine, only watch your ADDED sugars".
    Until I cut way back on ALL sugars and saw a HUGE difference.
    Sugars from fruit and milk are still sugars and you shouldn't have 100g a day even if it IS all fruit and milk.

Good question taso... I always been educated in this field. I forgot how i started my weight loss journey, what method I started out with, but it turned in to intermittent fasting... then low carb with intermittent fasting...I did get good results, now I moved over to an alkalizing diet. My results drastically improved... when i changed to this diet.

Total weight since i started it has been about 3 months is 35lbs... That is "normal" so i let go of the belief there is no "superior way" Also atkins is just a way to achieve a caloric deficit. I didn't get "amazing" results with it, i got normal results.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    It does not have to be hard and painfull. I do not have to feel hungry. I do not need to spend 4 hours in the gym to see results.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    That "diet" foods are necessarily HEALTHY foods. Just because it says, "low fat" or "sugar free" and may help me lose weight doesn't mean it's good for me. Give me the full fat REAL food anyday. At least I know my body recognizes it when I eat it.
  • That hunger is a bad thing. It's really a good thing. It means my stomach did its part in digestion and got a rest before I threw something else at it..
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    That if I went to the gym, I could eat as much as I liked. Now that I track, I can really see that going to the gym might let me eat a bit more, but not as much as I was eating - no wonder I kept putting on weight!!
  • alliooops
    That hunger is a bad thing. It's really a good thing. It means my stomach did its part in digestion and got a rest before I threw something else at it..
    [/quote
  • I also believed that! lol... but I also I used to think drinking water had no point. Coke was my water.. lol that has definately changed.

Me, too. I was just talking to my wife about this last night. I drank at minimum a 12 pack of Coke Zero per day. I couldn't remember ever drinking a glass of water previous to dumping the Coke two months ago. It was about 5 days of caffeine withdrawal for me. Actually had to lay in bed for a day.

Now I'm soda free! I'm constantly grabbing more water...and enjoying it.

So, that's my stubborn, set in my Coca-Cola ways, story.
  • alliooops
    That is so true!! Now I don't panic when I start to feel hungry. ]
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    I was stuck on the belief I would be fat the rest of my life, that there was no way I could lose as much as I needed to. I am well on my way to losing it!! I CAN DO IT!! Stopped making excuses and saw what I can accomplish!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    I used to believe everything is moderation was a healthy approach, and as long as something was low fat and didn't have added sugar, it was a healthy food. Have found a way of eating that has changed my whole outlook on nutrition and how to view food, and has resulted in me feeling better and healthier than I've been in my life.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    It does not have to be hard and painfull. I do not have to feel hungry. I do not need to spend 4 hours in the gym to see results.

I used to think this as well! MFP has change my thoughts on that though.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    I've almost given up my stubborn belief that as long as i stay under my calories, it does't matter how i do it. I used to think it would be okay if I ate fast food all day long, as long as i stayed under my calories. and in the beginning, that did work, but as my body has adjusted, I have to eat healthy calories, or my body rebels. But I'm stubborn so I still eat crap from time to time. Then again, this IS life, and I will never give that stuff up forever, so it is important to learn to live around it. BUT I am still learning moderation.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    You're all going to laugh at me but i used to think that all healthy foods tasted bad. I use to put sugar on fresh strawberries and brown sugar glaze on carrots. Now i know that healthy food actually tastes amazing and gives you more energy than junk. Also i had the pop issue too. Why do i need water if i'm drinking pop? Bwaha. Now i drink at least my 8 glasses a day, if not more. I've been pop free for almost a year now!!!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    That my life was pointless without cheese. I'm adjusting fine.

Ditto. I thought I couldn't live without it, until I did. Now my life is so much better, I wouldn't ever consider going back. And, my food tastes better than ever. I also lost all urges to overeat. I stop when I am full and I feel in total control.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Oddly enough, I think that Im doing better at listening to what my body is telling me vs what the numbers say. Prior to MFP, I used to spend a lot of my time writing down my calories/fat/protein down on index cards. Now I spend less time in documenting and better able to assess what my body needs and when it needs it. MFP has definitely simplified tracking of my fitness/nutrition regimen.