Almased

Options
1235»

Replies

• dzdazy
    dzdazy Posts: 1
    Options
    WELL, I've been researching this product for a week now. I ordered my first can that should arrive today and I am pumped. I'm 57 and have a nagging 10 lbs that I am determined to lose. Two years ago I began to eat much cleaner by cutting out ALL sodas, artificial sweetener, processed meats and the only dairy I intake is Greek yogurt, but folks, I will take you down for a hot chocolate chip cookie! I've not been successful for taking down that sweet tooth. I was on my way to melting off that 10 lbs when my in-laws came to visit (which is great...I love them!) and my mother-in-law became ill and passed away. They were going to spend the Winter in Florida with us. I became the entertainment factor for my father in law who loves loves loves to eat out. Need I say more? He's gone back home now and this is my Summer goal! Thankfully I've gotten about 3 lbs of it off but I need a real jumpstart to motivate me and I think this is going to fit my schedule perfectly. I am somewhat active to need to kick that up a notch. I can't wait to try some of these concoctions I've read here...I love Almond milk unsweetened anyway. I'll begin the 3 day fast tomorrow and will check in towards the end of the week with my results and thoughts!:wink:
  • puppyface
    puppyface Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been using Almased off and on for the last few weeks. I find that mixing it with 11 oz of almond milk is to thick for me. I actually mix 6 tablespoons with 20 oz of almond milk and drink it all day. I use different "milks" so I don't get bored. My favorite is DREAM Blends Almond, Cashew & Hazelnut milk with 1 tablespoon of Walnut oil and 1 packet of instant coffee (like Folgers). It makes it taste like a Arby's Jamocha shake.

I mix my milk, oil & coffee packet the night before that way I just have to grab it as I walk out the door.

I also read some postings on the Almased site about Barlean's Omega Swirls. I bought the Strawberry-Banana flax seed one. It kind of makes it taste like a Strawberry shake.

I am going to try to do the 3 day fast and see how it goes. I did do it for a whole work week and lost 4 pounds. Then went on vacation and gained it back. I am commited to doing this and I hope I can get my butt in gear. I know it won't come off right away but I think this will be a good starting place.
  • kimb114
    kimb114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Dr. suggest Flaxseed oil. I haven't tried it yet. Studying first. This is the recipe he gave:

unsweeted almond milk, flaxseed oil, fresh fruit and the Almased probably with frozen fruit or a few ice cubes

Enjoy!
  • kimb114
    kimb114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Dr. suggest Flaxseed oil. I haven't tried it yet. Studying first. This is the recipe he gave:

unsweeted almond milk, flaxseed oil, fresh fruit and the Almased probably with frozen fruit or a few ice cubes also if needed add some cereal for fiber needs

Enjoy!
  • cindyoh1
    cindyoh1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Was seriously gonna try Almased but can't fathom going without actual food for more than one meal a day plus don't like the price since I tend to be frugal. One can won't go you a week, at least at first. I personally don't want to have to be dependent on a product, I guess. I'm thinking you could lose the weight without relying on this product. But we all do what we want, don't we, ha-ha. Good luck, you may be very successful with it.
  • msmarlyn1
    msmarlyn1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started Almased yesterday. I'm pre-diabetic, and am just adding it to a smoothie in the morning. So far, it hasn't helped with feeling hungry.
    But last night I slept like a baby, though today I have a bit of a headache (which might have to do withe the 95 F temp today).

My question for people who have been taking this for a while is, what do you do if you go on vacation and can't make your own smoothies?
    Do you just take a little break?

We are scheduled to go on a 2 week cruise in mid-August.

Thanks, all!
  • bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been loosely following the Almased diet for about a month and have lost 16 pounds thus far. Feel free to ask any questions, I would be more than happy to help:)

Benefits: Curves my hunger, makes me feel amazing, provides me with energy to work an extremely physical and fast paced housekeeping shift, easy to make/travel with, great for a 'jump start' weight loss.

Cons: The taste takes time to overcome. The price in my area has risen $10 out of no where?. I wish they sold the product in bigger containers.

My favorite ways to drink it:

1. Frozen mixed berries, water, and vanilla extract

2. 1 banana, vanilla extract, bit of peanut butter.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll ask.

How are you all going to keep from gaining the weight back when you stop this stuff? Or are you going to stay on it the rest of your life? I'm just curious...
  • bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good question!

I think it is different from everyone.
    For myself personally I was feeling extremely down and negative about weight loss. It started to consume every moment of my life. I hated it.
    At the same time I was following my goals on MyFitnessPal and I was not feeling good nor seeing results. I work at a very fast paced and physical job, and on my limited calorie intake, I found that the lunches I were packing, were neither filling me up or providing me with enough energy to allow me to finish my day at work.
    I was specifically looking for a product to merely 'jump start' my weight loss.
    In less than a month, work will end, and university will begin again. During that time I will be home more frequently, which will allow me to invest more time into eating and cooking meals (while working I am away from home for 13 hours at a time and have a hard time eating, especially healthy food). I have also banished microwaves from my life, and that adds an extra hurdle in my personal work routine currently.

Almased has given me the boost of confidence and positivity I had been missing. It has encouraged me to stay on track, to work hard, and to push myself. I doubt I will gain the weight back when I discontinue using it, because I will continue to stay within the limits MFP has provided me as guidelines. I will not stay on it for the rest of my life, but I will always keep a can of it in the pantry because it is excellent for those 'meals in a rush' moments as well as a great powder for a breakfast shake!
  • zagemeel
    zagemeel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just tried it today and never felt so sick WHAT A HORRID TASTE AND WASTE OF 55 POUNDS FOR 2 TUBS PLUS VAT
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Me and a co-worker started using it this week.
    My sister-n-law has lost 28 lbs on this since Feb.

I am using it to cut back and get myself back into cutting my calories.
    I use it 2 meals a day and eat a sensible dinner with the family.
    I run and am starting marathon training, so protein is important.

I am not snacking and it has filled me up. Not sure of the energy part. I am having sleeping problems and early menopause issues, so my weight gain and issues are specific to my body changes.

I mix mine with water, banana, and unsweetened cocoa, not so bad.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love this product! I have used it in the past when I lost my initial 70 pounds.... but then I put on some lean muscle and more fast when I went to school. Long story short... Im working two jobs & trying it again.... I am on the phase 1 ... two days ago I Started but yesterday I cheated and ate a lot so I am just starting back up. Lost 4 lbs of mostly water weight I am sure but I felt so good and energized and my skin was glowing! My shakes are alright and good actually....

8 tablespoons almased
    1 cup of almond milk unsweetened vanilla & 1 cup bottled water
    1 tablespoon canola
    1 tablespoon flax
    alittle cinnamon
    nutribullet it up!
  • ddka1989
    Options
    I have been on Almased for over three weeks now. I did the seven day fast, and now I just use it for two meal replacements. So far it has been everything it said it was and then some! I have dropped 13 pounds at least with ease. My blood sugar readings are like those without blood sugar problems. I sleep soundly for the first time in years, and my skin looks better than it did. I drink a lot of water, and I eat sensibly for my one meal a day. I do splurge if I want to, but try not to go crazy. The first three days were hard, and I had a pretty bad headache (possibly from no caffeine or sugar). After that, it was cake. I have so much energy, and I swear I am focusing better than I have in a while. Am I surprised the FDA does not like this product? No, but I don't think much of them anyway. Please don't use this without your doctor's supervision if you suffer from ailments that require monitoring. Also, I like the taste, but it did take about four days to adjust my taste buds. I also had no problem with regularity. Sorry, if that's TMI, but since others brought it up, I thought I should address it. But then again, I drink my water as directed. I also don't have all the aches and pains I was experiencing. I thought it was just normal for a 51 year old woman to be sore and stiff all the time! The price is high, but you can order it online and save a lot of money!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    it contains sucralose, which shrinks the thymus gland, the master control of the immune system

wtf?

ETA: Nevermind, zombie thread, but still!!!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It's remarkable the number of "users" whose first and last contribution to the community is to pop into a random thread for Diet(R) product X, give it a glowing endorsement, and then disappear.

That's not the least bit strange at all. There is no way that they're paid shills. I am not at all using sarcasm right now. Really. Honest.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Well, since this thread keeps re-igniting, thought I'd do a little update. After the warning, Almased rewrote all their stuff to get rid of any hint it was useful for anything other than weight loss. They also ask you to print out the new information and discard the old.

It claims to be three ingredients: fermented soy, skim milk yogurt powder and honey.

Of course the list of ingredients on their nutrition panel lists an additional passel of vitamins added. http://www.almased.com/t/nutrition-and-diet

It isn't any more magic than any other over-priced protein shake powder except that it probably tastes better because with the honey each serving includes 12g of sugar. Waste'o'money!
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm an Almased convert, and I consider myself a particularly savvy nutritional/supplements consumer. In fact, I've never tried, or even considered, a meal-replacement supplement my entire life until now. Organic protein/greens shakes, yes, but not a shake for dieting or cleansing. Unfortunately, however, the recent addition of a medication that radically changes my food cravings and has seemingly altered the way my body deals with carbs has caused me to gain weight and just feel generally bloated and icky. So I decided to work harder at changing my metabolism in general. (And yes, the medicine I'm taking is an important and necessary one, so I'm willing to put up with the side effects and change my lifestyle instead. I say this to preempt any overly-easy responses from folks who would advise to just stop taking it. Or at least some of the comments in this thread so far have that kind of knee-jerk quality about them.)

To those for whom Almased has worked, yay! For those of you who haven't had the best experience, that sucks. But as we know, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for anyone. I hope you've found something that does work. And to those who see questions about Almased and simply go look it up in Google and/or on their website and make determinations based solely on 10 minutes of reading (rather than experience or in-depth—and I mean in-depth—research), and then come back here and make a whitewashed answer like: "poppycock!" or "marketing fluff" or naysaying comments like: "how can it be GMO when 90% of soy in America is GMO?!" or "Look at this FDA letter!" (and since when was the FDA all about consumer interests anyway, people... c'mon, give me a break), I would suggest doing your homework before throwing out an ill-informed opinion. Just sayin'.

So why am I an Almased convert? Let me list the reasons so far:

1) The soy in Almased is a fermented soy rather than just straight soy, so that's one thing that makes a difference. It's like comparing tofu with tempeh... they are two entirely different things. Yes, they both originate from soybeans, but the fermentation process changes the protein chains in soy so that the amino acids are far more digestible and much more readily absorbable for humans. However, if you’re allergic or sensitive to soy, I’d say this isn’t your product.

2) When the vast majority of people report good things about a product (even on sprouty, healthy sites who vet their products before selling them or at least whose customers tend to have high expectations for purity and proper sourcing (I'm thinking iHerb.com, for instance), that means something. The claims about not being hungry until the next shake are true. I'm personally amazed by that. My body would be telling me otherwise if there were something drastically lacking.

3) Sad as it is to say, I'm much more likely to trust a company that originated in Germany over an American one any day. Any of us who study food laws know that Europe is generally far stricter when it comes to standards for ingredients and additives (I could go on and on as far as that list goes, but just food coloring alone is one example... the fact that the FDA allows for color additives that have been shown to cause ADD-like effects, among others, in sensitive people while Europe has banned them {and consequently Kellogg's and Mars changed their European recipes for Fruit Loops and M&Ms, but not the American formulation... nope... we still get the crap stuff). And yes, Almased USA is an American company, but as long they adhere to the German standards, I'm ok with that.

4) And then there's the research. (Almased has a brochure that makes the research easy to read, but of course, that’s what the company publishes so that’s not exciting at all.) So I looked up some of the research myself. And much of what I read bodes well. Not all of it no. But one surprising discovery from the research was that Almased can reduce migraines in people with chronic migraine headaches. (I haven't had a migraine since starting the Almased, but it's only been a week. Still... I'm looking forward to success with that. We'll see.) To look up the harder core research yourself, go to http://scholar.google.com to find the citations.

4) Finally, personal experience says everything. All the claims about having more energy, feeling better mood-wise, sleeping better, and not feeling hungry are absolutely true. And I would add the fact of just simply feeling 'cleaner' in my body, though that isn't something I can quantify. But it's a nice feeling. And that's huge for someone who has struggled with my relationship with food and has a hard time restricting food to just 3 shakes a day. I'm a carb-addict (though a picky one), and I'm frankly quite surprised at my nearly complete lack of craving for chips or cookies, which is particularly telling since this medication increases those cravings. Oh, and I also have thyroid issues, and I'm not having any issues with symptoms since using Almased.

If you do go for it, be sure to follow the directions for drinking a LOT of water as fat gets burned and toxins are released. HUGELY IMPORTANT. Do add some kind of oil, whether olive, coconut, or flax seed (as I do for the lignans... Barlean's, the best!) to make sure you're getting enough essential fatty acids. Also, Almased's suggestion to make your own nutritious, low-sodium vegetable broth for snacks bears repeating. Make your own broth, so it's fresh and yummy, rather than buying ready-made broth. But as they say, if you must get store-bought, at least find (and be willing to pay for) the highest quality organic brand with the lowest sodium content. Also, use whatever additions you need to make the shake taste good. I find a lot of cinnamon and vanilla helps (and cardamom, but that's my favorite spice), and once a day I add raw cacao and Barlean's Chocolate Essential Woman Swirl to make a chocolate shake. It's my fave. Like most people, I find that an unsweetened almond milk base makes the best and easiest-to-drink shake.

And last but not least, make sure you aren't allergic to any of the ingredients, of course, and keep track of any side effects. I saw one research article that talked about birch pollen allergy and cross-reactivity to the ingredients in Almased (citation listed below). I also read a review from a women who found that the isoflavones in the soy in Almased, even though fermented, messed with her menstrual cycle too much for comfort. As always, pay attention to your body and do what feels right for you.

I'll come back in a couple months and see how things have panned out, but I simply wanted to extend my support to folks who are game for trying it or for whom it has worked well so far. May the force be with you. :)

*394 Local and systemic anaphylactic reactions to a soy containing dietary product (almased) in birch pollen allergic subjects: IgE mediated crossreactivity to Bet v 1 and a stress-induced 17-kD soy protein / J Klein-Tebbe, S Franke, A Jahreis, M Rytter, U.-F Haustein, D Haustein, S Vieths / The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 1 January 2000 (volume 105 issue 1 Page S132 DOI: 10.1016/S0091-6749(00)90823-6)

*Klein-Tebbe, J., et al. "394 Local and sytemic anaphylactic reactions to a soy containing dietary product (almased) in birch pollen allergic subjects: IgE mediated crossreactivity to Bet v 1 and a stress-induced 17-kD soy protein." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 105.1 (2000): S132.

Excellent post???? I really enjoyed reading this. I have used protein powers in the past, but ended up getting terrible stomach cramps for days. I assume it is from whey protein, but not really sure. I tried a vegan protein shake and it is ok, but haven't been able to continue drinking it because of the texture (too gritty). I recently fractured my foot (stress fracture) from working out and am very aware that I need to lose weight especially since hopping around on one foot at 230 lbs doesn't feel to great. I am expecting a free sample of Almased sometime this week after ordering Quest protein bars on Vitamart and getting a free trial of Almased. After checking out Almased online I thought I would search on MFP to see what other people's experiences have been with this product. My trail size is only 25g but I imagine it's enough to see if it curbs my hunger and also to get a feel for the taste. I am encouraged by positive responses to how Almased has worked for some people. I am hoping that since I will be sedentary while healing my stress fracture that this product will help me control my hunger.
  • fjacinta
    Options
    I have been using it for about three weeks. Not as a diet, but just as a meal replacement when I am in a rush in the mornings or during lunch. So far I have lost about 11 pounds. It curbs my appetite and I have felt great. It is very plain but it works really great! No cravings at all. I mix it with almond milk and I add in frozen fruit such as berries or peaches and it taste like a cold and delicious smoothie. I even take it to work and mix it as a snack. I don't think you will be disappointed. Best of luck to you!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It's remarkable the number of "users" whose first and last contribution to the community is to pop into a random thread for Diet(R) product X, give it a glowing endorsement, and then disappear.

That's not the least bit strange at all. There is no way that they're paid shills. I am not at all using sarcasm right now. Really. Honest.

All seem to have the exact same writing style and make the same grammar mistakes. So coincidental this happens every time someone creates a thread asking about a specific product.
  • AmyinNC
    Options
    I've been diabetic for years and eating very healthy. However, my weight hasn't budged. My endocrinologist sent me to a diabetes educator and she suggested I try Almased. I did NOT want to do a meal replacement because I believe in eating real food. I also despise the word "cleanse." But, I'm willing to try it because I'm sick of eating so well but not getting results. I have asked many questions, read a lot of info and decided that it can't hurt to try. My order arrived today and I'll either start tomorrow or Monday (we may be going out of town this weekend and it's never a good idea to start something so new--side effects you know!). I'm not good at giving updates, but I will try to let everyone know how it goes.