Does anyone eat fresh fruit and veggies anymore?

Options
It seems like people are not eating enough fresh fruit and veggies now a days. Maybe I'm just a bit over board about it, but from what I see with my friends and co workers there isn't enough healthy eating going on.
I always love my coworkers attitude towards the foods I eat. Everyday at lunch I have to hear the question from at least 5 of my coworks, what are you eating today....eewwwww! HMMMM!!! It's called HEALTHY FRESH FOOD!!!! It's really sad and annoying at times. But what is really sad, I work in the healthcare field!
We won't even get started on the exercise part....UGH!!! :ohwell:

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I know a lot of people who also just focus on getting the right number of calories without thinking about the nutrients IN the food. I try to eat fresh fruits and veggies whenever possible, but I admit that I most often buy frozen veggies since they don't spoil as quickly. But I do know what you mean. :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.

I eat a lot of frozen veggies, because they're easy to bring to work. But I am all about fresh fruit! [:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan? lol. I get the same. I'm eating REAL food, as they sit there literally every single day eating fast food. How is MINE the food that's gross?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've had my coworkers accuse me of putting on a show with my work lunches just because it was a spinach salad.

Granted, I work in a fast food restaurant, so my view of the typical American diet may be biased. However, I do hear the phrase, "I don't want none of that rabbit food," more than I'd like.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm over weight and still LOVE veggies and fruit! Can't live without them! I grew up that way, so maybe those people didn't grow up with fresh veggies and fruit as a regular thing.
  • llachoix
    llachoix Posts: 10
    Options
    Just got ourselves a really cool juicer. Amazing what a few carrots and a bunch of celery taste like!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is fruit and veggies... yes, fresh, raw, generally organic, too.

I avoid the processed, denatured, saturated fat-laden junk brought into work on a regular basis...
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just got ourselves a really cool juicer. Amazing what a few carrots and a bunch of celery taste like!
    add a cucumber!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love cucumber, carrot, apple juice! :)
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that raw garlic (or chopped and fried garlic) is one of the best foods to eat to combat cancer (7 out of 8 types). So today I ate some and I can honestly say, BAM! what a kick in the mouth that was.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I most definitely do. . Love raw foods. . . I don't want a bunch of processed crap! . . .:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that raw garlic (or chopped and fried garlic) is one of the best foods to eat to combat cancer (7 out of 8 types). So today I ate some and I can honestly say, BAM! what a kick in the mouth that was.

I would incorporate it into my foods. . chopped in a sandwich. .or wrap great. . .or you can also get it in a pill form at the health food store. . .
  • JoanNLV
    JoanNLV Posts: 83
    Options
    I admit that I did not until recently. Actually I knew that I had to lose weight and hardly ate anything...that just put my body in starvation mode and I kept gaining weight while eating hardly anything. The diagnosis of Diabetes Type II has given me a huge PUSH to do the right thing. The pharmacy students that are working with me put me on 2300 calories for the first week so that my body would go into the fat burn mode...I gained two pounds in one week, but now I have lost about 4 pounds since Thursday...My Friday morning and Saturday morning weights are exactly one pound that I lost...not bad for one day!
    Trying to follow the goals and percentages of food to eat, I have really started loving frest fruits and veggies. I like to sit down with something on my plate and with the last two weeks of experimenting I have found that taking a little brown rice, a few ounces of cooked chicken, a tablespoon or less of olive oil, and then julienned yellow squash and fresh apple. I throw it all into one pan and let it sizzle together, then pour it all out onto my plate and I LOVE IT! I had a delicious peach for my afternoon snack too!
    I think I like this new lifestyle change will actually get me going...I don't have to worry about feeding anyone except for myself (the Chihuahuas get Chihuahua food) so it is only about what I think tastes good.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    yep, love the fruits and veggies and the working out and my increased protein and carbs and decreased fat plan, etc....
  • senraq
    senraq Posts: 8
    Options
    What is a veggie?
  • themurph8910
    Options
    I eat so many fresh fruit and veggies that I have to go to the store at least 2 times a week to re-stock
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I would incorporate it into my foods. . chopped in a sandwich. .or wrap great. . .or you can also get it in a pill form at the health food store. . .

Sorry, I loved the kick though! I eat starchy foods and veggies. So the garlic just gave so much flavor to my meal. I might chop it up and "sprinkle" it (have to wait 20 minutes after chopping) over my meal. The good thing is, the burn sensation goes away relatively quickly. I just make sure I have my water close by!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've had my coworkers accuse me of putting on a show with my work lunches just because it was a spinach salad.

Granted, I work in a fast food restaurant, so my view of the typical American diet may be biased. However, I do hear the phrase, "I don't want none of that rabbit food," more than I'd like.

I work in fast food as well and you should see their faces when I start eating a salad whilst they're like wtf? don't you eat food from here? lol
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan? lol. I get the same. I'm eating REAL food, as they sit there literally every single day eating fast food. How is MINE the food that's gross?

No I'm not a vegan. You would think I was a vegetarian by the foods I chose to eat, but I'm not. My husband and I make it a point to eat as fresh and healthy as possible. We do have our reward days, especially when we are on vacation, hiking and biking for 8 hours a day. That is when we chose to reward ourselves with mexican food, chinese food...ect! We are human! HA :smile:

The one thing that kills me is hearing people say, it's too much work to eat healthy. I don't have time to cut up fresh fruit and veggies. Ok.. the way I see it, if a person has the time to get ready, jump in their car, drive to a fast food joint or sit down restuarant, they have the time to go to the store gather the food, come home and prepare at least 3 to 4 days worth of healthy foods. It would average out to the same amount of time and they might even save money....just saying!!!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I work in fast food as well and you should see their faces when I start eating a salad whilst they're like wtf? don't you eat food from here? lol

LOVE THIS! My 1st job in HS was at Long John Silvers. LOTS of bad choices at that place. Most of the time I would order the broiled halibut, rice and corn or a salad on my breaks. Gotta love it!!! Good job and way to you to both of you!!! :happy: