Does anyone eat fresh fruit and veggies anymore?

Options

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just got ourselves a really cool juicer. Amazing what a few carrots and a bunch of celery taste like!

I have a Juiceman 2 and a Champion Juicer...YES LOVE IT!!!!! Have you looked at some of the other thing to juice and the benefits of the different veggies or fruit? Enjoy juicing, it alot of fun! :drinker: That is a juice in the smilies hand not beer LOL!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I recently found out that raw garlic (or chopped and fried garlic) is one of the best foods to eat to combat cancer (7 out of 8 types). So today I ate some and I can honestly say, BAM! what a kick in the mouth that was.

LOL! I bet! My husband eats so much garlic and spices. I make fun of him and say he smells like a sweaty spice rack when he's done working out. He doesn't like that much! Hee Hee!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I admit that I did not until recently. Actually I knew that I had to lose weight and hardly ate anything...that just put my body in starvation mode and I kept gaining weight while eating hardly anything. The diagnosis of Diabetes Type II has given me a huge PUSH to do the right thing. The pharmacy students that are working with me put me on 2300 calories for the first week so that my body would go into the fat burn mode...I gained two pounds in one week, but now I have lost about 4 pounds since Thursday...My Friday morning and Saturday morning weights are exactly one pound that I lost...not bad for one day!
    Trying to follow the goals and percentages of food to eat, I have really started loving frest fruits and veggies. I like to sit down with something on my plate and with the last two weeks of experimenting I have found that taking a little brown rice, a few ounces of cooked chicken, a tablespoon or less of olive oil, and then julienned yellow squash and fresh apple. I throw it all into one pan and let it sizzle together, then pour it all out onto my plate and I LOVE IT! I had a delicious peach for my afternoon snack too!
    I think I like this new lifestyle change will actually get me going...I don't have to worry about feeding anyone except for myself (the Chihuahuas get Chihuahua food) so it is only about what I think tastes good.

AWESOME! I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing this! Congrats to you on your new lifestyle and way of eating! You put a smile on my face! XOX :flowerforyou:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Just got ourselves a really cool juicer. Amazing what a few carrots and a bunch of celery taste like!

I have a Juiceman 2 and a Champion Juicer...YES LOVE IT!!!!! Have you looked at some of the other thing to juice and the benefits of the different veggies or fruit? Enjoy juicing, it alot of fun! :drinker: That is a juice in the smilies hand not beer LOL!

Yep. . That is my next toy. . They have a juicer at costco right now, have to save to buy it, but I can't wait to have one!
  • jwgca
    jwgca Posts: 44
    Options
    i'm trying really hard to implement more vegetables in my diet, i have a fridge full of sweet potatoes, yams, and broccoli. i just never have the time to prepare it sadly ;(
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I eat so many fresh fruit and veggies that I have to go to the store at least 2 times a week to re-stock

We go a couple times a week too! My husband does most the grocery shopping. He eats an amazing amount of food to compensate for the amount of calories he burns with exercise. The ladies at the grocery store can't believe the amount of fresh foods we consume each week. They always tell my husband there is no way we eat all that food. HA! YES we do! Gotta love it! :)
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it IS hard eating healthy, and for me (as a grad student living entirely off of student loans) it can be really expensive to buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they're not in season. BUT for me, it's SO rewarding to be able to make a meal, know exactly how many calories/fat/carbs/etc are in it, know exactly what went INTO it, and not have to worry about anything suspect like high fructose corn syrup. I even made a blueberry-peach dessert crisp/cobbler the other day from scratch and it was so tasty AND healthy. Hey, I used completely fresh fruit in it. ;D
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan? lol. I get the same. I'm eating REAL food, as they sit there literally every single day eating fast food. How is MINE the food that's gross?

No I'm not a vegan. You would think I was a vegetarian by the foods I chose to eat, but I'm not. My husband and I make it a point to eat as fresh and healthy as possible. We do have our reward days, especially when we are on vacation, hiking and biking for 8 hours a day. That is when we chose to reward ourselves with mexican food, chinese food...ect! We are human! HA :smile:

The one thing that kills me is hearing people say, it's too much work to eat healthy. I don't have time to cut up fresh fruit and veggies. Ok.. the way I see it, if a person has the time to get ready, jump in their car, drive to a fast food joint or sit down restuarant, they have the time to go to the store gather the food, come home and prepare at least 3 to 4 days worth of healthy foods. It would average out to the same amount of time and they might even save money....just saying!!!

I was just joking, it's just something I hear so much because my meals are only veggies and grains. I just think it's funny that an omni eating healthfully is looked at as weird. Some skewed visions out there!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I recently found out that raw garlic (or chopped and fried garlic) is one of the best foods to eat to combat cancer (7 out of 8 types). So today I ate some and I can honestly say, BAM! what a kick in the mouth that was.

I would incorporate it into my foods. . chopped in a sandwich. .or wrap great. . .or you can also get it in a pill form at the health food store. . .

Sorry, I loved the kick though! I eat starchy foods and veggies. So the garlic just gave so much flavor to my meal. I might chop it up and "sprinkle" it (have to wait 20 minutes after chopping) over my meal. The good thing is, the burn sensation goes away relatively quickly. I just make sure I have my water close by!

If you ever eat bread, I love raw garlic on fresh whole grain/sprouted grain toast. It's a treat, since I try to limit my bread, but my limiting seems to be no bread for a few weeks, then bread for a week, then no bread for a few weeks, and so on. But I do love raw garlic on toast. If you ever don't feel like eating it, though, you can also swallow it like pill, as long as you make sure it's not too big to choke you!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I would incorporate it into my foods. . chopped in a sandwich. .or wrap great. . .or you can also get it in a pill form at the health food store. . .

Sorry, I loved the kick though! I eat starchy foods and veggies. So the garlic just gave so much flavor to my meal. I might chop it up and "sprinkle" it (have to wait 20 minutes after chopping) over my meal. The good thing is, the burn sensation goes away relatively quickly. I just make sure I have my water close by!

If you ever eat bread, I love raw garlic on fresh whole grain/sprouted grain toast. It's a treat, since I try to limit my bread, but my limiting seems to be no bread for a few weeks, then bread for a week, then no bread for a few weeks, and so on. But I do love raw garlic on toast. If you ever don't feel like eating it, though, you can also swallow it like pill, as long as you make sure it's not too big to choke you!

Thanks for the tip! I eat bread at the same frequency as yourself. I do like to eat rye or pumpernickel. I know I take a b12 supplement and a protein powder in the morning, but other than that, I try not to take pills. I take the protein powder as it gives me some calories and my protein for the day.
  • veganbaum
    Options

Thanks for the tip! I eat bread at the same frequency as yourself. I do like to eat rye or pumpernickel. I know I take a b12 supplement and a protein powder in the morning, but other than that, I try not to take pills. I take the protein powder as it gives me some calories and my protein for the day.

I meant you can actually swallow the fresh clove itself, not take a pill. Seriously, it works. If I haven't been eating garlic for a while and feel a cold coming on, but don't want to eat it, I swallow cloves along with other things to combat the cold.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I basically only eat fresh fruits and vegetables with the occasional lean protein and/or dairy. I actually go shopping 3x per week and generally eat what's seasonally available. I live in pretty rural Germany so I also have access to local organic dairy, eggs and meats. If I want to have some sort of meat I just walk up to our local butcher and whatever meat I get I know exactly where it's coming from, a lot of times within our same village. I don't personally drink cow's mik, but the yogurt and milk available around here are from the dairy cows that live up by the post office. So yeah I love living this way. I can't imagine not eating fresh and local foods.
  • JoanNLV
    JoanNLV Posts: 83
    Options
    I admit that I did not until recently. Actually I knew that I had to lose weight and hardly ate anything...that just put my body in starvation mode and I kept gaining weight while eating hardly anything. The diagnosis of Diabetes Type II has given me a huge PUSH to do the right thing. The pharmacy students that are working with me put me on 2300 calories for the first week so that my body would go into the fat burn mode...I gained two pounds in one week, but now I have lost about 4 pounds since Thursday...My Friday morning and Saturday morning weights are exactly one pound that I lost...not bad for one day!
    Trying to follow the goals and percentages of food to eat, I have really started loving frest fruits and veggies. I like to sit down with something on my plate and with the last two weeks of experimenting I have found that taking a little brown rice, a few ounces of cooked chicken, a tablespoon or less of olive oil, and then julienned yellow squash and fresh apple. I throw it all into one pan and let it sizzle together, then pour it all out onto my plate and I LOVE IT! I had a delicious peach for my afternoon snack too!
    I think I like this new lifestyle change will actually get me going...I don't have to worry about feeding anyone except for myself (the Chihuahuas get Chihuahua food) so it is only about what I think tastes good.

AWESOME! I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing this! Congrats to you on your new lifestyle and way of eating! You put a smile on my face! XOX :flowerforyou:
  • JoanNLV
    JoanNLV Posts: 83
    Options
    I am feeling a lot better in the last two weeks. I used to be very tired and I would sometimes look at the clock at 8 pm and realize that I didn't eat anything that day. About 3 1/2 years ago I had to go on permanent disability for my spinal issues. Two months later I lost my dear Mom; and I was also in the process of moving from San Diego to Las Vegas. I think that the huge change in my life - no job, no Mom, and moving somewhere that I knew NO ONE - put me in a big depression and I remember telling my neighbor one day that I don't get hungry and not that I couldn't stand to lose some weight, I was concerned and just thought it was depression. But, the pattern continued and being fat I think that I need to eat less...sometimes only one Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice entree and a whole lot of Diet Dr Thunder. Now, I am only supposed to drink water...which usually makes me nauseated...but have learned how tasty and thirst-quenching it can be if it is ice cold. My neighbor is excited for me that I have this new lifestyle plan, so now I have all of you, my doctor, my pharmacist team, and my best friend and 'new sister' next door to show that I can do it. I think I need that protection from all ends!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I didn't eat too many fruits and veggies, but I just didn't realize it. I've starting to try to work some into my diet, some fresh and some not. For instance, this week I bought carrots, and organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup. I definitely need to eat more fruits though. It's a shame I don't because I LOVE fruit and veg, but it's so expensive up here lol.
  • Michellerw1
    Options
    The people I am around are split; about half of them never eat fruit/veggies and the other half eat a ton as do I. Sometimes my boss (who is anti-veg) gives me the odd look when I whip out my lunch that sometimes is just sliced fruit/veggies and nuts.
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    Yeah, it IS hard eating healthy, and for me (as a grad student living entirely off of student loans) it can be really expensive to buy fresh fruits and vegetables when they're not in season. BUT for me, it's SO rewarding to be able to make a meal, know exactly how many calories/fat/carbs/etc are in it, know exactly what went INTO it, and not have to worry about anything suspect like high fructose corn syrup. I even made a blueberry-peach dessert crisp/cobbler the other day from scratch and it was so tasty AND healthy. Hey, I used completely fresh fruit in it. ;D

Do you live in an agricultural area? If you do find people who are willing to bring you free fruit and veggies. That is one great thing about living in Northern California. My mother in law knows alot of farmers and people who have orchards. She brings us walnuts, tomatos, peaches, zucchini, persimmons and some much more. I LOVE her for that! HA!
    YUM to the blueberry-peach cobbler. Sounds GOOD! :happy:
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    Are you vegan? lol. I get the same. I'm eating REAL food, as they sit there literally every single day eating fast food. How is MINE the food that's gross?

No I'm not a vegan. You would think I was a vegetarian by the foods I chose to eat, but I'm not. My husband and I make it a point to eat as fresh and healthy as possible. We do have our reward days, especially when we are on vacation, hiking and biking for 8 hours a day. That is when we chose to reward ourselves with mexican food, chinese food...ect! We are human! HA :smile:

The one thing that kills me is hearing people say, it's too much work to eat healthy. I don't have time to cut up fresh fruit and veggies. Ok.. the way I see it, if a person has the time to get ready, jump in their car, drive to a fast food joint or sit down restuarant, they have the time to go to the store gather the food, come home and prepare at least 3 to 4 days worth of healthy foods. It would average out to the same amount of time and they might even save money....just saying!!!

I was just joking, it's just something I hear so much because my meals are only veggies and grains. I just think it's funny that an omni eating healthfully is looked at as weird. Some skewed visions out there!

HA HA so TRUE!!! :)
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I basically only eat fresh fruits and vegetables with the occasional lean protein and/or dairy. I actually go shopping 3x per week and generally eat what's seasonally available. I live in pretty rural Germany so I also have access to local organic dairy, eggs and meats. If I want to have some sort of meat I just walk up to our local butcher and whatever meat I get I know exactly where it's coming from, a lot of times within our same village. I don't personally drink cow's mik, but the yogurt and milk available around here are from the dairy cows that live up by the post office. So yeah I love living this way. I can't imagine not eating fresh and local foods.

WOW! I want to live in Germany! HA! Sounds like a great deal! :happy:
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump