To the guys.

Options
So I was taking my Sunday walk at my local park. AS I was walking, there was a couple (assuming their were a couple, they were holding hands, they were talking pretty LOUD) and the girl wanted to jog, well the guy said "No, I don't wanna jog with you, or even workout with you, that's my thing and beside you probably couldn't keep up with me". Talk about rude and if it was me I probably would have kicked him. The girl looked upset and I felt kinda bad for her. But it got me thinking, Guys do you like when a girl, whether it's a girlfriend, friend, wife wants to go workout with you, or is it just a man thing that they want to do it by themselves? And would you be embarrass is she couldn't "KEEP" up?

I don't know, maybe he was having a bad day or something. But I thought it was rude.

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    I am not a guy... I hope that is obvious :) but I don't wan to workout with my husband. We are at completely different levels in every form of exercise, and one of us would be holding the other one back the whole time. For that matter I don't really like to workout with anyone. There is nothing I hate more than getting into my groove and having the person beside me want to strike up a conversation. Just my two cents.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have no first hand answer to your question but if a lady is willing to hold my hand I hope I never ever treat her like *kitten* and have no respect for a guy that does.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My husband does not and will not workout with me. I stopped asking.
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    I am not a guy... I hope that is obvious :) but I don't wan to workout with my husband. We are at completely different levels in every form of exercise, and one of us would be holding the other one back the whole time. For that matter I don't really like to workout with anyone. There is nothing I hate more than getting into my groove and having the person beside me want to strike up a conversation. Just my two cents.

I understand about being at a different pace from someone else. It's just how he said it in a mean tone that irked me
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    On one hand, I wouldn't mind working out with my wife in general, especially if we had gym access (we currently do not) for things like machines where we can work out together even though at different levels.

On the other, we would really get in each other's way. I'm ahead of her in most things cardio, so unless it were a machine, we wouldn't stay together anyway. For example, I do a 9:46 pace at 5K distance, she does closer to a 12:00 pace...if we were to run together I'd have to slow way down off my pace for us to stay together which would undercut my training. I think the "it's my thing" part was kind of rude, but unless a couple is at exactly the same level, working out together just doesn't, well, work out very well. :smile:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the preference to work out alone but perhaps he could have been supportive by taking a casual jog with her while she worked hard and considered it a bit of extra activity.
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things a woman can do to have a successful relationship with a man is to occasionally allow him some space all of his own. I know it's hard to understand, even if you don't feel the same way (and some women do!), but the majority of guys need at least a little time alone. If you try to do EVERYTHING with him, you'll end up doing NOTHING with him!
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I work out alone. If I want company I'll get a trainer. My husband is not invited to work out with me.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    they also could have had the conversation over and over again. Not that he couldn't have said it nicely. I also get the "it's my thing" part. When I need to work something out in my head, I do it at the gym. Or when I need a break from the fam, I do it at the gym. It is my alone time.
  • hagardavid
    Options
    Honestly, I try to get my wife to work out with me but she tells me she does not like to work out with GUYS. Really, I am her husband and cannot understand this. She always tells me when she is READY she will lose weight, and workout. I have given up on asking her to join me. I am busting my butt trying to get my weight off again and it is so hard with her not joining in on the journey. I love her and respect her but it does seem to affect other areas of life you know.
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I work out alone. If I want company I'll get a trainer. My husband is not invited to work out with me.
    This! ^^
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the preference to work out alone but perhaps he could have been supportive by taking a casual jog with her while she worked hard and considered it a bit of extra activity.

I agree. It sounds like he was being sh!tty and that doesn't fly in my world. He could have at least enjoyed a little jog with her for the funsies. To make a sweeping generalization based on speculation and judgement only, I bet this guy probably says stuff about her being out of shape and not "hot", too.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    In the situation described, yeah, they guy was being a douche. But, on the other hand, i have gone with a girlfriend to a gym in the past, when all she wanted to do was cardio, and all i wanted to do was lift, and I snapped at her when she walked over and asked me, with 185lbs up over my head if we could leave, because she was bored..........
    Jogging would be cool though.........
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Why not? No reason why you can't spend time with your significant other now and then. If she can't keep- slow down
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    i'm not particularly keen on the idea of working out with anybody.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Im curious to see what they guys have to say.
    My husband and I workout together(sort of). Truth is I run a lot more than he, so after a mile he's off to do something else...but It is sort of fun to be in there together and flirt with each other a bit. We have a fun-loving relationship.(even after 20 years) I guess we just go to the gym together then do our own thing. I do see a lot of couples working out together though. Especially in the group classes. I wish we could do that more but our schedules dont really allow it much.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the other way around, he always wants to work out with me!
    I'm the one turning to him saying I don't want to work out with him, but it's because I feel embaressed. He's so skinny and fit and then there's me! :-(
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The "you couldn't keep up with me, anyway" part is rude. I agree there. However, I will say that when I go work out, I don't want to talk to anyone. Not even my wife. Ever. And this goes double for when I run. It's a big reason why I run by myself most nights. I settle into a groove, mentally check out and release all the stress from the day. Last thing I want is someone blabbering away beside me.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    My husband can't answer because he isn't on this website and doesn't work out. Which is annoying, and I wish he would at least try it once in awhile.
  • xxboobooxx
    xxboobooxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well you know what they say about opinions lol ....
    so anyways heres mine :)
    To the guys or girls who prefer to work out alone... I get that , I totally do but if your bf/gf/ spouse is wanting to jog or walk with you as a together thing or even just the support why would it hurt .... :) I personally would Love the support and company :) xx Just sayen'