Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for 2 years before I made them take it out. I'll never get an IUD again. Not everyone that has Mirena goes a long time before their period shows up. And when they took it out I had mine for a whole month off and on. And when I did have it I'd spot all the time. I would get horrible migraines, really bad ovarian cysts, and couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. I didn't really gain but I stalled. Since switching to the pill none of those symptoms have shown up and I've lost almost 20 pounds. My skin was horrible when I had in the mirena. It was a bad experience in so many ways for me.
  • skaisand
    Options
    I got Mirena put in November of last year, and have gained 30 pounds since. My diet has only changed a little, and in the past watching what I eat and exercise let me drop the weight easily. I now have acne a lot worse than when I was on the pill, which then I would only get it when it was that time of the month. My periods are worse than when I was on the pill, the cramping is horrible, I have pain whenever I have sex with my husband, which is hardly ever as my libido has gone out the door, and I have severe mood swings. I also have trouble sleeping. I have an appointment to get it taken out January 7th. I will update how I am feeling a couple months after it is out. I
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love the Mirena. I've had it three years, I've been steadily losing weight for the past year, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects on my sleep, appetite or my libido. I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in the severity of my menstrual cramps - when I get them at all. That alone has been a God send. I understand it's not for everyone, but I won't let anyone say it's a terrible product.
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I can't believe I suffered 5 YEARS of weight gain before wondering if it might be due to my Mirena!! I enjoy not having my periods, but I'm heavier than I've ever been and NOTHING gives me any weight loss results! THANKS SO MUCH for confirming that I'm not crazy!!! I have an appointment with my doctor on jan. 2nd and I want it out!
    After my first pregnancy, I lost the baby weight after a year (on the pill). After my second pregnancy, I got Mirena inserted when my baby was a few months old. When I tried to lose the weight, I did a whole round of "Chalene Extreme" and didn't see any results. I thought it was because I was older (34), and was very discouraged. I tried, and failed, numerous other things - even though I was exhausted all the time- to no avail. I blamed it on having two kids, no time for me, etc.. I gained about 40 pounds in 5 years, trying to lose some! I've never been this heavy, even pregnant. Can't wait to have that thing removed... I really hope I can lose the weight after that. :(
  • hollyguest
    Options
    So many of your stories sound soooo similar to mine!!
    I had the IUD inserted in March 2011 after my son was born. Cramping was awful! Since then, I have the following side effects:

1. Weight issues- I haven't gained on it, but have worked out harder than ever before and counted calories/low carb with VERY little progress. Sooo frustrating!
    2. Cramping- twice recently, I've had HORRIBLE cramping after intercourse. Like almost went to the ER because of it. Could be due to cysts forming or scar tissue...
    3. Mood swings- I'm generally a pretty even-tempered person. My patience level has been so bad the past year especially.
    4. Sex drive- Definitely low since being on the IUD.

I have an appt with my gyno in Feb. to have it removed. Considering removing it myself before then tho!
  • tmowings
    tmowings Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone..wow, how interesting it has been to read all of the different experiences with Mirena. My story, I had the Mirena put in August 2008, shortly after I got married. I have no children of my own so my doctor was hesitant, but understood because I was 34 at the time. Insertion was iffy for a moment for diolation reasons, but all was successful. I had mild cramping that day, but nothing that kept me from going on with the day. I was on the BCP for about 15 years prior to that. I haven't had a period since. It has been about 4.5 years. I have always been over weight, so I am not sure if the Mirena was the culprit for additional weight or not. I may have gained 25 pounds in 4 years...but I am getting older, right? I didn't have any adverse symptoms that I can think of. I often felt like I was going through the motions of a period without having a period. I would get a bit sensitive and edgy, typically a head or back ache. So pretty much an uneventful experience. So, I feel it is time for my body to get back to normal. Periods and all. I am anxious to see if I will lose weight. I get my IUD removed on Thursday 1/10. I am wondering if it will be painful and what I may experience in the next couple of weeks/months. I will be 40 in September and very much looking forward to what life has in store. We are not going to actively try for a baby, but now the responsiblilty of BC is in my husbands hands. I am ok either way if we get pregnant. Any input would be apreciated and thank you for being so open about something so personal.
  • Lasha563
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just joined the website and found this post. It has been enlightening! I had my Mirena put in Nov 2009, since then I have gone through every symptom that you all have listed! I thought it was just me!! Went to see my family doc who told me it was impossible that it was from the IUD. He sent my to a gyno anyways to check things out. The gyno also told me it was impossible it was from the IUD and wants me to go on hormone shots as well as keep the IUD in. I don't want anymore hormones!! 'The initial reason why I had it put in was to control my periods (which were horrendous) of which it has not controlled! I also have terrible mood swings, weight gain (30 lbs since insertion), menopausal symoptoms, lack of libido, etc. I have had ENOUGH!!
    Thinking I need to get another opinion but what are my options of who to go see? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sepultra31
    Options
    Hi everyone. I posted back in October after having had my mirena out after having it for 5 years. So far I'm down 3 lbs. Might not seem like much, but that's with no diet or exercise changes. I also don't feel as bloated after I eat, if at all.
  • tmowings
    Options
    Follow up: I had my Mirena taken out this morning. No problem at all. He did it along with my yearly exam. He had me take a deep breath and out it went. Overall, I had a very good experience with it and would do it again, if needed. As weird as it is, I am looking forward to my periods and getting my body back to normal..whatever normal is!! Goodluck to you all, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions about my experience!!
  • tmowings
    Options
    Follow up: I had my Mirena taken out this morning. No problem at all. He did it along with my yearly exam. He had me take a deep breath and out it went. Overall, I had a very good experience with it and would do it again, if needed. As weird as it is, I am looking forward to my periods and getting my body back to normal..whatever normal is!! Goodluck to you all, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions about my experience!!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Glad I came across this! I had my Mirena placed last summer after my husband came home from deployment and even he noticed as early as 3 days later changes in my mood. I've had severe mood swings and I've gained back 20lbs. I've also suffered other side effects such as severe cramping and horribly heavy periods. I've felt bloated and swollen frequently including having pitting edema in my feet! Headaches, blurriness.... I feel like the list could go on and on (although Acne has not been one of them). Most discouraging has been the weight gain. I've lost roughly 83lbs since my baby girl. I had been working out consistently (crossfit and training for a half marathon) I also have recently moved to a much much hillier area and have since been able to walk my daughter to and from school on a very regular basis (a mile each way, with some hills) but my weight has been jumping up! I know it's not muscle either! Anyways, my husband has been begging me to get the damn thing removed and I did today finally. So here goes... I hope the weight comes off as easily as it seemed to go back on! Sheesh!
  • Khiltbold
    Khiltbold Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had my son in July 2011, had the IUD put in on my 6 week post partum visit.... 6 weeks later I had it removed! :noway: I had really bad joint pain, It was the worse pain ever!!! I also know you loose some of your hair after having a baby... But as soon as I got the IUD my hair would come out in handfuls. It never stopped. :( I am a cosmetologist... So when my hair started falling out, I was like OMG! :cry: It was awful... Everyone kept saying it was because I just had a baby ... Blah blah blah. And I got really depressed ((not just because of my hair)) but in general. I also had awful anxiety, it's like before I had the IUD I was normal. I kept making excuses, ohhh it's just in my head. My husband said the same thing. So I started doing research about my hair falling out like it was and a article came up about the IUD causing hair loss, did some more research, found a butt load of scary information about the IUD And BAM, that was it. The next day I had that sucker removed. Now I am back to normal for the most part. :) I still have anxiety for some weird reason... But as soon as it was taken out, my hair stopped falling out. That right there told me it had nothing to do with me having a baby! But anyways. I would not recommend the IUD to anyone.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this post, I was just about ready to make one when I searched for Mirena.

I had mine in for 5 years and absolutely loved it! I will definitely have another put back in when we are done having children. I had it surgically removed last week because it was imbedded (no biggie- just a quick procedure in the OR). I'm wondering if that may be the cause of my slow down with weight loss. I don't know that I really gained weight while on it because I wasn't trying to lose. I had just had a baby and wasn't really focusing on losing the weight.

Can the change from 'extra hormones' while having it in to 'no hormones' now that it's out cause me to lose less?
  • tanyalong5683
    Options
    I had my IUD Mirena Put in April of 2011 I was 135 lbs and healthy size 4 (I never really ate right or exercised just normal size)…. 9 months later I am at 167 lbs and a size 8 and they’re getting tighter have bought exercise equipment I am eating right for the last 3 months I started dieting after my pants were getting tight I just thought I was nuts I couldn’t figure out where the weight was coming from…I have a appointment to have it removed on January 29, 2013 I will keep you informed I intend to track my measurements and weight so I can so the doctor it is the Mirena. I plan to be back to bikini size by this summer.

Also I have noticed that after I had merina put in my skin and hair are really dry and my hair is even breaking and splitting bad.... I will find out if that changes to after removal.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Of course,everyone is different...but I didn't gain or have issues with the IUD, and didn't see any weight change when it came out. Sorry!!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, I LOVE my mirena. I didn't gain weight because of it. I gained weight because I was a Fatty McFatFat and ate everything in sight. I also haven't had any problems losing weight. I love the fact that I don't have periods with it, too. I never worry about TOM weight/bloating. [:

^^This!! I am loving loving loving it :) Although i still get *****y around when I would have my TOM :P
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena for about 2 years.put in at 6 week appointment. I had horrible depression, mood swings and so on....
    Not sure about the weight gain or not but I was able to lose 25-30 lbs on it.

I took it out 2 years later because of the mood swings. My doctor told me I was only patient he has ever met that kept it in that long. (usually it was 2-3 months) AND he was a military doctor so they get alot of patients.

I have the Copper one now (no hormones) and I LOVE IT. It lasts 10 years. Only thing is now I get my period...unlike with the Mirena.

Hope it helps.
  • koumoupi
    Options
    Hi ladies,

My main question is: the leaflet (and my doctor) says that the body needs 2-3 months to adjust to Mirena. Does any of those who had a pleasant experience remembers having some of the side effects during these initial months?

Here is my story:
    I put Mirena last month, 11 months post-partum, mainly to control my heavy bleeding and anemia. My first period after Mirena was much lighter, but lasted 2 weeks during which I was bloated. These two weeks partially coincided with the holidays/new years. Thus, when I weighed myself and saw that I've gained back the 5 pounds I've lost since September, I blamed it to my bad eating habits. I was hoping that my bloating would go once period ended and that after following the 1200 calories/exercise 3 times per week schedule, I'd start losing them again. Well, you've probably guessed right: not only have I lost anything (3rd week into the program now), but I've gained a couple of pounds too! Not to mention the stomach bloating.

I now feel very bad and kind of desperate. On the other hand, I wonder if this irregular period I had and all the bloating etc has to do with my body adjusting to the hormones and it'll go away. Thus my initial question - if any of you had such (or other) side effects initially but then things got better. Should I wait one more month?
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

My main question is: the leaflet (and my doctor) says that the body needs 2-3 months to adjust to Mirena. Does any of those who had a pleasant experience remembers having some of the side effects during these initial months?

Here is my story:
    I put Mirena last month, 11 months post-partum, mainly to control my heavy bleeding and anemia. My first period after Mirena was much lighter, but lasted 2 weeks during which I was bloated. These two weeks partially coincided with the holidays/new years. Thus, when I weighed myself and saw that I've gained back the 5 pounds I've lost since September, I blamed it to my bad eating habits. I was hoping that my bloating would go once period ended and that after following the 1200 calories/exercise 3 times per week schedule, I'd start losing them again. Well, you've probably guessed right: not only have I lost anything (3rd week into the program now), but I've gained a couple of pounds too! Not to mention the stomach bloating.

I now feel very bad and kind of desperate. On the other hand, I wonder if this irregular period I had and all the bloating etc has to do with my body adjusting to the hormones and it'll go away. Thus my initial question - if any of you had such (or other) side effects initially but then things got better. Should I wait one more month?

for me personally I stayed irregular for the year and a half I had the IUD. everyone is different though.
  • laj2504
    laj2504 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Here is my story:

Hey girl, I love mine, but it took about 6 months for mine to regualte it's self out. Since then I have had no problems, My first one I kept for 4 years without any problems.