When did people start noticing you had lost weight?

Options
Just curious as I have lost 12lb and I don't feel any slimmer! I am still in the same size clothes (although I can do them up now a bit easier!)

But just wondering when you noticed and when someone else noticed.

12lb is around 7% of my body weight, just would have thought I would have looked loads different. Kind of disappointed I think, feeling very frumpy!!

Replies

• candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    It will depend on your starting weight and body type, but for me, anytime I've lost (sadly I've yo-yo'd for years) it has taken about 20 pounds before people would say anything.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me it was around a stone when people started to comment.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    30+ pounds is when they started noticing
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    For me it was ten pounds before the "have you lost weight?" question started pouring in.
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would say between 20 to 25 lbs. If you only have a few pounds to lose most people don't notice that at all. If your larger, it takes about 20 lbs before they notice.
  • NurseShannon
    Options
    People noticed at work when i had lost about 7 pounds. They say they can tell in my face that I have lost weight.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs since starting and the only person to ever comment on my weight-loss was my own mother...
    I haven't dropped a dress size either, I guess it's just a waiting game! As long as you know you're losing the weight, that's all that matters.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have lost 36 lbs, and people are just NOW starting to really notice.

People I am close to noticed much earlier, obviously, but co-workers are... not very observant ;)
  • JulieCJulieDo
    Options
    If I lose 5 pounds people notice because it's all in my face/chins, but I have a very long way to go before I'm even in the neighborhood of my goal weight. I think alot depends on where you lose first, how you dress and how much you have talked out loud about being on a diet... :-)
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Other than my husband, only one person has commented on my weight loss, and that was after nearly 50 lbs lost (just last week)...which for a person who is 5'0'', that is a LOT. Maybe some people notice but don't comment...don't really know. My husband has noticed changes periodically...usually after 10lbs - 15lbs he can notice a change. I usually don't notice or realize it until I go down a pants size. That's when it usually really sinks in that I've gotten smaller. Just looking in the mirror day-to-day, though, I don't always notice, because I'm generally the same shape, just smaller all over.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I wore the same size clothes for a really long time -- but that's because I had been wearing them far too tight. :laugh:

Most people aren't very observant. Don't feel bad if they don't notice for a while. It doesn't mean you don't look different -- it means people don't pay attention, and that sometimes people are hesitant to mention weight loss for fear of being offensive. If they're not SURE you've lost weight, they don't want to mention it, because if you haven't lost weight, they're worried you'll think that THEY think you're fat. Silly, but true.
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    I had lost about 20 lbs when my kids started noticing and about 35 lbs when other people started noticing. I really think it
    depends on your body type and where you start losing it at first:-)
  • VendettaMachine84
    VendettaMachine84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it really just depends. I got three comments after 4 lbs....I guess it was all in my face.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    since first year of college, i've been 155+ and for whatever reason, in the last couple of years people think i'm constantly losing weight when in fact i'm gaining. go figure. once i'm 140, people will DEFINITELY know that i've lost though! only 18 lbs to go!!!
  • Traci663
    Traci663 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 21 lbs and no one has said a word about it other than the ppl that already know im dieting...
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have lost 11 lbs and the only person to notice was my mum. I have seen all my friends and no one has noticed, I told them how much I'd lost and they were happy but shocked and said: "Do you mind if I'm honest, I didn't even notice?"

So yeah, unless they know you really, really well, i.e. your mum. It might take a while. I'm hoping when I lose 20lbs someone might notice!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    When my pants started fitting better...............................thank goodness!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Those who are in the know- about 10lbs.
    But I've started to get comments now from others at 16lb down. It helps if they haven't seen you in a while-if they see you every day they don't notice the changes as much.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have lost 43 lbs and people still do not comment:sad:
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was down at least 30 lbs before anyone (other than people who knew I was trying) noticed. By 40 lbs, everyone noticed. Give it time! :)