Green Smoothies

Options
Brandzilla
Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
I'm trying to start drinking some green smoothies to get some healthy live greens and fruit in me.
I made my first one today.
Ice, fresh pineapple, banana, coconut oil, spinach, and kale.
It was pretty good. Not amazing like a milkshake, but pretty darn good.

Any of you have any good recipes or tips for me?

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    bump too, Im also interested in good green smoothie recipes.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I actually really like cucumber, green apple and spinach! Sounds weird, but it's delish!
  • mzdetermined
    mzdetermined Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a question about green smoothies. How are the calories counted when its juiced? Though I hear you have to be careful with fruits because they retain a lot of sugar, Anyone?
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I realized after I made it that the coconut oil had 14 g of fat! yikes. lol. Think I'll skip it next time. Or put in a tsp instead of a Tbsp.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I make mine with Spinach, chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut butter, banana, & almond milk & ice. It is SOOO good!
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    I don't sell it, but I'm a fan of Shakeology (chocolate and greenberry). It's hard to beat the nutritional value of what's in them!!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    maybe coconut yogurt for some protein? not sure of the cal content though

btw

mmmmmm You can really taste the Kale!

(cheers - veggie boy episode reference)
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Are you using a blender? Smoothie blender? Or a juicer? Just curious as I have a smoothie blender thing and wonder if that would be good enough. It goes through ice no problem, but would it mix up spinach, etc., ok?
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    Green smoothies

1 Mango
    2 whole peaches or 1/4 fresh pineapple
    1/4 pkg tofu
    1.5 Cups organic spinach (1 generous handfull)
    6-8 oz Goodbelly or no sugar added fruit juice
    6-8 oz water

Can substitute blueberries, strawberries, apples or what ever fruit you like that is in season. The taste of the spinach really disappears in these smoothies, all you taste is fruit. I have trouble with dairy and yogurt and have found that tofu adds protein without changing the flavor or texture. I use a Blendtec blender when I am home and a Cuisinart compact portable blender when I am traveling.

YUMMY!
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

1 banana
    a handful of frozen strawberries
    1-2 giant handful(s) of spinach
    about 1/3 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt
    1/3-1/2 cup ice

I vary the ratios a little and never really measure, but it comes out great every time. Its an awesome pick-me-up, and under 200 calories. :D
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love this post!:flowerforyou:
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For our combination birthday, father's day, anniversary present we bought a "Vita-mix". It was about $400. But we use it at least 2 times a day. We used to throw away so much produce when it would start to get wilty or mushy. Now we put in the smoothie. I have a juicer too. But I rarely use that any more. And no, I do NOT know how to figure out the calories in juice. I used to just figure the calories from the fruit in the juice. That's one reason I do smoothies now, instead of juicing. But to make a carrot apple beet juice, it takes 2 apples and about 10 carrots for a glass. Whereas my smoothie just has 1 fruit and 1 carrot per glass, a lot less calories and more fiber. I did make a smoothie one time in my regular blender. It didn't turn out nearly as good. AND ONE TIME, BECAUSE MY OLD BLENDER MADE MY SMOOTHIE MORE CHUNKY, i ACCIDENTALLY CHEWED ON A FLY THAT FLEW INTO MY SMOOTHIE While I WAS AWAY. EWWWWW. SO CHECK YOUR CHUNKS. LOL .If you like them, I highly recommend getting a VITAMIX. I bought mine at a special event at my Costco warehouse sale. It was cheaper than what I could have paid online.

I do NOT worry about the sugar in the fruit because of when I time my drinking of the smoothie. I have some right before a run, usually, and then the rest right after.

Spinach is always great because it's sweeter than things like brocolli or kale,, so I think it tastes better. I still have those other veggies, but I have them with other things during meals.

I put vanilla whey powder in mine on days I know I'm working out really intensely or extra long, and leave the protien out on days that are normal. I also put in a little flaxseed. I love my green smoothies. I just put the basic recipe in my recipe data base on MFP. If the fruit or veggies change, then I change those ingredients on the recipe.

Normally it looks something like this:
    2 cups of spinach
    1 carrot
    1 nectarine
    1 banana
    1 serving of vanilla protien powder
    1 tbsp. of flaxseed
    1 cup water
    1 and 1/2 cups ice

I count this as two servings. The calories range from 200-270 for protien smoothie servings and 120-170 for non protien smoothies....a lot less calories then juicing, I imagine, and a lot more satisfying.

If I don't put in the protien powder I use Splenda for sweetener. Or if you you are using powdered or liquid vitamins, that will sweeten it up too. Some people use agave or honey. Over time, I diminished the sweetener, to where I don't really need it anymore.
  • Ladypuma
    Ladypuma Posts: 14
    Options
    I once had a Spinach smoothie that had vanilla extract in it. I really want to find the recipe. It was at a demo at Costco for one of those amazing blenders.
  • ginandtonica
    ginandtonica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do a smoothie with a 1/2c plain nonfat yogurt, 1c nonfat milk, 1 scoop Muscle Milk Vanilla protein powder, a packet of Crystal Light Classic Sunrise Orange and fill the blender the rest of the way with spinach. Whirl it up and add a couple of cups of ice and I promise you cannot taste the spinach. My 2 year old shares mine with me. It tastes just like an Orange Julius. Okay, maybe not EXACTLY, but I am telling you it is pretty darn good. it makes a whole blender full and is only 345 calories. Yum, yum, yum!
  • c2sky
    Options
    I once had a Spinach smoothie that had vanilla extract in it. I really want to find the recipe. It was at a demo at Costco for one of those amazing blenders.

Here you go.

http://www.vitamix.com/recipes/
  • c2sky
    Options
    it didn't have a spinach smoothie. But it['s basicly like mine without the protien powder and flax seed, and adding a little vanilla and sweetener. You just have to experiment.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries + cocoa powder should be added to every smoothie you make - They are amazing together and the blueberries add a great consistency. Much better than other frozen fruit IMO.

I use almond milk, protein powder, PB, cocoa, spinach, strawberries and blueberries in my fave Go-To smoothie. I've tried dozens of variations using yogurt, cottage cheese, different fruits, milks, coconut, avocado, etc and this is by far the best. No question.

Good luck figuring out what you like! :bigsmile:
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    four leaves of kale (approximately 25 g)
    1 peach
    1/4 cup of raspberries (frozen unsweetened)
    3 ice cubes
    3 tablespoons of greek yogurt

Makes an 8 oz glass

I must say this was quite good. 120 some odd calories, 26 carbs, 8 grms protein, 19 grams of sugar (but all fruit based), 5 grams of fiber.