eating alone

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
This is kind of a silly question, but here goes. How many of you eat alone in a restaurant? I am fine with running errands, shopping, or maybe grabbing a snack in the food court, but I've never really sat down in a restaurant and ate by myself.

My boyfriend and brother are out male bonding, so I decided to treat myself to some shopping with some christmas money. One of my favorite restaurants is in the mall and my boyfriend doesn't like it so I don't usually get food from there. I've gotten take out before, but the sandwhich tends to drip and makes the bread soggy by the time I get it home, so I am thinking about just eating there. Thoughts? Anyone else have a weird fear of eating alone at restaurants? Without anyone to talk to, what do I do while I am waiting?

I just keep thinking of the Friends episode when Rachel decided to brave her fear and eat out alone, and she ran into this guy that she gave her number to. He chatted, said hi and they were like ok I'll call you later and as he walked away you hear the voice in his head saying not likely freak, because she was eating alone, lol.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    Options
    This is kind of a silly question, but here goes. How many of you eat alone in a restaurant? I am fine with running errands, shopping, or maybe grabbing a snack in the food court, but I've never really sat down in a restaurant and ate by myself.

My boyfriend and brother are out male bonding, so I decided to treat myself to some shopping with some christmas money. One of my favorite restaurants is in the mall and my boyfriend doesn't like it so I don't usually get food from there. I've gotten take out before, but the sandwhich tends to drip and makes the bread soggy by the time I get it home, so I am thinking about just eating there. Thoughts? Anyone else have a weird fear of eating alone at restaurants? Without anyone to talk to, what do I do while I am waiting?

I just keep thinking of the Friends episode when Rachel decided to brave her fear and eat out alone, and she ran into this guy that she gave her number to. He chatted, said hi and they were like ok I'll call you later and as he walked away you hear the voice in his head saying not likely freak, because she was eating alone, lol.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm gonna eat alone, I bring a book or magazine. :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

grab a book or a newspaper and have a good lunch!! It can make all the difference in the world for comfort if you feel awkward of something. :drinker:

Then you can try movies:wink: But never a date night ....but an afternoon movie is fun because they only have less than a handful in the theater all of them sitting by themselves...not something ANYONE notices once the movie has begun:bigsmile: I LOVE going to movies by myself... but I used to work right next to a theatre at the time and just walk in and watch whatever one was starting at the time. Oh well, ahh I did also at the time work for the complex and had free movies and popcorn/pop whenever I wanted...most times I just grabbed a diet coke and got to the movie theatre I wanted.

:bigsmile:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Lol, I am pretty brave that way. The other day i went to my favorite Mongolian BBQ and sat near the window (people watching is great entertainment) while I ate. I enjoyed the meal and when I got my fortune cookie it said something to the effect of needing to make friends! ( I kid you not!) :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Lol, I am pretty brave that way. The other day i went to my favorite Mongolian BBQ and sat near the window while I ate. I enjoyed the meal and when I got my fortune cookie it said something to the effect of needing to make friends! ( I kid you not!) :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :blushing: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • Khaluhacat
    Options
    Well, I personally am not a fan of eating alone in restrants. I find the best time is when it is lunch time, as often there is a lunch crowd with a few loners in the crowd.
  • Smiley55
    Smiley55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat alone alot It really doesn't bother me, I figure everyone has to eat and if it is time to eat so be it. People watching can be very entertaing. I like to make us stories in my head about the people out there. Just let your imagination run wild it can be fun.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I went for years without eating in a resturant alone. Then my mother said to me "You are really not that important, everyone in the place is thinking about their food or the person they are with!"

Not the nicest way to put it (god rest her soul) but true none the less!

Now I even ask for the window seat!!

(oh, and order salad!)

:drinker:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I don`t eat in restaurants very often but when I do it is alone.
    It is uncomfortable.
  • ejy5002
    Options
    I'm a college student and have been traveling a lot for job interviews. Everything is paid for by the companies, but I usually end up getting room service because I'm pretty hesitant myself to get a table by myself.

One alternative is if the restaurant has a bar and you don't mind sitting there alone (depending on states, some are smoking, some are not). I personally am A OK with the bar alone but not the tables.
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly often by myself in restaurants, however it is always at lunch during errand runs. If there is a bar at the restaurant I will eat there, usually I am not the only one, and yes I too bring a book. If there is no bar, I eat in the restaurant and just read my book. No one ever looks twice at me or atleast I don't see them because I am not paying any attention to them :happy:
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating alone. I've done it and have seen many others do it too. Sometimes I think it might be more entertaining to people watch than to have an obligatory conversation with someone we're with. :wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh-- it's been many moons, I assure you, since I've had the luxury of doing ANYTHING alone-- but I always enjoyed dining out. I'm a people watcher, so I sit there and stare at everyone.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i dont mind eating or having a drink alone

i usually bring a book, love my reading!

a lot of my friends HATE eating alone, one of my friends wont drink alone even in the comfort of her own sitting room?

i love to sit down with a glass of wine and a fav dvd when hubby is out with the lads :drinker:
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I view restaurants as a social thing, so no, I won't go out and eat alone. I can eat healthier and cheaper at home!

The only time I ate in a restaurant alone was when I was on business in France. I didn't have much of a choice, considering I hardly knew the language and didn't know anyone!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Well I did it....it wasn't so bad. I was a little annoyed that there weren't any single booths available so I was stuck at a table in the middle of this small room. So that was a little like being on display, but all in all it wasn't so bad. And I found that I enjoyed my food a little bit more than if I had been with someone because I would be talking and forgetting to really pay attention to what I am eating.

That being said, I only did it because I was out, I was hungry and that kind of food doesn't do take out well....I doubt I would purposefully go out to eat by myself again unless found in the same situation.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating alone. I've done it and have seen many others do it too. Sometimes I think it might be more entertaining to people watch than to have an obligatory conversation with someone we're with. :wink:
    :laugh: too true it can be that way sometimes!

Amy....good for you...yea bummer on the middle of the room table..but glad you did just so you know you can if you're in that situation again or in France as was suggested:drinker:

I also agree with what you shared about not being distracted... society views eating as social...how did we get so messed up??:blushing: :laugh: Yes it can be social but... I view food more as a tool to fuel my body....and have loved finding other things to do when out with friends beside eat with them:wink::laugh: :noway:

And YES on the people watching....very entertaining:drinker: :wink: :laugh:

FC:heart:
  • heartbrake
    Options
    I always notice when someone is eating alone, but I do admire their confidence!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to go to a restaurant by myself, sit down with a book, and enjoy a glass of wine and a meal all by myself with no kids, no husband, no nothing. That sounds fantastic.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Omg I was just kind of talking about this morning. I'm weird about eating alone period. I hate it. Even at home :( def could never do it at a restaurant. ojpmvcy98ag6.jpeg