eating alone

Options
2»

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a silly question, but here goes. How many of you eat alone in a restaurant? I am fine with running errands, shopping, or maybe grabbing a snack in the food court, but I've never really sat down in a restaurant and ate by myself.

I travel on business and do it all the time. I just grab a seat at the bar.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My hubby makes fun of me for this. I have such a weird aversion to eating out alone. I challenged myself to eat at Mucho Burrito alone a while back and even that felt strange.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat out I like it to be with someone else.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I think I've only gone out to eat alone twice. Once when I was alone on a business trip. I just read stuff on my phone the whole time. The second time I reaaaaally wanted an omelet from perkins for some reason so I went there for brunch and read a newspaper. There was a woman the next table over who was also eating alone and she was being extremely rude to the waitress.
    Otherwise I just get take-out.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How many of you eat alone in a restaurant?

Do it all the time. Used to do movies and all kinds of stuff like that. I have no problem being with me and I actually enjoy my company. I really love camping away from everyone. Could use more of that!

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I eat alone all the time. I like it that way. Gives me some me time. I think people who go to the movies alone are weird though.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Love eating alone or watching movies alone you only have to cater to one persons tastes your own
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a silly question, but here goes. How many of you eat alone in a restaurant? I am fine with running errands, shopping, or maybe grabbing a snack in the food court, but I've never really sat down in a restaurant and ate by myself.

I travel on business and do it all the time. I just grab a seat at the bar.

^^^^this
    who cares if you're alone. do you think you're being judged? this isn't 1955 anymore.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    For decades I've usually gone out to a restaurant alone once or twice a month. Never really thought much of it. I guess I just enjoy the quiet time and really haven't given a thought that strangers may think it odd. If they do, oh well. I usually use the time to catch up on emails, Facebook, read a book on my Kindle app, mess around on MFP, etc.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    anybody else use the bathroom alone?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Even on Christmas, Thanksgiving I will find a spot to eat alone. Not anti-social but I don't like hearing conversations while I'm eating. Even worse is when no one is talking but you can hear chewing and sipping and utensils hitting the plate.

Talking with a mouthful of food is nasty. Talking to someone who has a mouthful of food is rude. All you can really do is sputter out "YEA YEA" and nod vigorously at the talking buffoon. At least wait til I'm between bites, you mongrel.

This thread was made pre-smartphone/tablet era. It's no biggie these days. You can still look important while eating alone if it's fear of appearing like a loser you're worried about.
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If it has a bar sit there! I was invited to lunch once and the guy stood me up (douche), anyway, I stayed and had a nice lunch by myself. I sat at the bar where the "lonely" people sit and it wasn't too bad. I do that on occasion. I've done the movie thing once, and I think I went on a date night so the place was packed. But I still enjoyed myself. I have social anxiety so I really have to push myself to do things alone, but I never regret doing it!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize how old this thread was. I need to start looking at the dates! Still I was doing it back in the 80s, when we didn't even have cell phones. Back in the dark ages.
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I eat alone most of the time. And It's a love/hate kind of thing. I've never eaten at a restaurant by myself either. I usually do the carry out option.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I absolutely enjoy it. Love sitting at the counter and people watching, or I'll read the paper or fart around on my phone. No biggie - we're all there to grub down!
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This thread was made pre-smartphone/tablet era.

Wow, it was. How the hell did this get revived?

• Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I eat out alone. Last time I ate alone was when I was upset with my wife. Before heading to the shooting range I yelped an Italian place and it turned out to be really good. It felt a little weird because everyone there were accompanied by someone.
    I might take my wife there eventually or save it for the next time I'm pissed lol

THE END