Unexplained weight gain

Hi All

I have lost almost 20lbs in 6 months. Then came my vacation. Then came my surge of more exercise. But instead of losing , i have started to gain weight. . I do more exercise eat normal but I am heavier by 2-3 lbs:(

Any idea what's goingnon?

Replies

• it could be that some of the fat has turned into muscle and muscle does weigh more than fat does....the same happened to me and i was worried and disappointed but i kept on my diet and exercise routine and after a week or so i saw 5 pounds come off..so just keep going!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Water retention? Did you eat more sodium on your vacation? That could be the culprit then.

Or maybe you've started putting on muscle. Have you been tracking measurements? (neck, chest, waist, hips). Maybe they're still going in the right direction and you've put on a bit of muscle?

I'm guessing here, but those were my first thoughts. Just keep going forward and it should settle down and behave again soon. :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    If you open your diary it'd be easier to help.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    it could be that some of the fat has turned into muscle and muscle does weigh more than fat does....

Gak!

Fat can NOT turn into muscle. It just CAN'T.
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is denser, and takes up less space.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    My theory is that the hole that food goes into is smaller than the hole it comes out of.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    and muscle does weigh more than fat does....

oh. wow. So,does a 5 pound ream of paper weigh the same as a 5 pound dumbell?
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Oh come on, we all know she was talking about density. The same volume of fat and muscle? The muscle weighs more. Come on people, this is a support forum, not a gaming forum or something.
  • Lecypage
    Lecypage Posts: 22

No but a 5 pound ream of paper would take up more space. Fat doesn't 'turn into' muscle but I don't think that's what she was saying. Fat is burnt off and used up and new muscle is created. Muscle does weigh more than fat. It is denser and a smaller amount of muscle will equal the same weight as a larger amount of fat. So if you were to replace the same size of fat with the same size of muscle; you would weigh more. Per cubic decimetre muscle weighs more than fat.
  • :flowerforyou: MUSCLE DOES WEIGH MORE ASK ANY DOCTOR:))) SO DON'T WORRY:))) YOU WILL BE FINE:)))
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Aliens.
  • TDGee
    Pants
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    oh my
  • bry_all01
    Oh come on, we all know she was talking about density. The same volume of fat and muscle? The muscle weighs more. Come on people, this is a support forum, not a gaming forum or something.

A) it is a forum
    B) a pound equals a pound
    C) I was not unsupportive by asking a question
    D) to OP I sincerely wish you the best of luck in this journey!
  • crikee15
    crikee15 Posts: 155 Member

is there still a wall of feathers available? =P
  • bry_all01

is there still a wall of feathers available? =P

may have accidentally started a new one...
  • TDGee
    :flowerforyou: MUSCLE DOES WEIGH MORE ASK ANY DOCTOR:))) SO DON'T WORRY:))) YOU WILL BE FINE:)))

Um, nope. and why all caps?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Any idea what's goingnon?

Aliens.

Ok, non-snarky response: your diary is private. how can we begin to have a clue?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Water retention is more likely.

Unless you're eating a ton of junk, and eating above your maintenance. Then you're probably just plain gaining weight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    all muscle gained. It's that easy. Just do some pushups and stuff and BOOM gain 3 pounds of muscle in a week.

notsrs

Most likely majority water but no way to know for sure unless you happen to have BF% change measured now and a week ago.
  • keithpeters101
    keithpeters101 Posts: 5 Member
    Yes, muscle weighs more than fat, assuming you're talking about the same volume. Of course a pound of anything weighs a pound, and anyone harping on that is just picking apart syntax. A given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. This is well known. Jumping all over the poster for a phrasing error without providing some useful information in return is not productive.