Unexplained weight gain

2»

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Just to clear something up:

Fat does not turn INTO muscle. You can lose fat and gain muscle, but one does not become the other.

It is HARD to gain pounds of muscle. It will take way more than 1 week to gain a pound of muscle. If you gain 3 lbs exercising it was probably water retained, a poop in your system that you couldn't feel yet, undigested food etc. Not muscle.

Muscle only weighs more than fat in volume, for example 1 square foot of muscle would weigh more than 1 square foot of fat.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    2 or 3 pounds? really? concerned about that? It's normal weight fluctuation... 10-15 pounds, not so much. relax, eat clean and you'll see it'll slide off.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    OK, lets see if we can clear this up....

1) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.
    2) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat by "volume" muscle will weigh more.
    3) 50 cubic inches of fat and 50 cubic inches muscle is still 50 cubic inches of mass.
    4) 50 cubic inches of fat will weigh less than 50 cubic inches of muscle because there is more mass to muscle. Fat cells are less compact that muscle cells. Muscle cells are more compact so they have more mass per volume.

So kiddies, what does this tell us???

Does muscle weigh more than fat? Sure, where you are talking about mass per volume. But does a pound of fat weigh more than a pound of muscle, no. They are still both a pound..

Thank you for participating and listening to CD's Science 101 lesson for the day.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    To the OP:

Your unexplained weight gain can be from a couple of things.

1) Water retention from higher sodium levels. (Most likely from eating over vacation)
    2) Water retention from working out more. Muscles will hold onto water while they repair themselves.
    3) A combination of muscle mass gain from working out and water retention.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    it could be that some of the fat has turned into muscle and muscle does weigh more than fat does....the same happened to me and i was worried and disappointed but i kept on my diet and exercise routine and after a week or so i saw 5 pounds come off..so just keep going!
    Fat can't turn into muscle. It's physically impossible. It's water retention from increased exercise.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Seriously...some of you guys out there crack me up!!! :laugh:
  • Are you due onyou period? Women tend to put on a few pounds and more the week before until the end of your visit?
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    OKay maybe TMI but is it that time of the month for you or a few days before? This ALWAYS happens to me! right up until the day before I am done for the month I pack on 2 lbs of water weight and when that part of my cycle is over I shd it.....
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    By volume, muscle weighs more than fat. A square inch of muscle weighs more than a square inch of fat.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Pretty much everyone has covered it. It's not muscle turning into fat. That will never happen. It could be a number of things like normal weight fluctations, TOM, high sodium, water retention.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    This!
    I couldn't have said it better myself ;)
    To the OP:

Your unexplained weight gain can be from a couple of things.

1) Water retention from higher sodium levels. (Most likely from eating over vacation)
    2) Water retention from working out more. Muscles will hold onto water while they repair themselves.
    3) A combination of muscle mass gain from working out and water retention.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Sorry to have caused such a stir about fats and muscle. It was indeed my time of month. Now that am done with my cycle, my weight is back to normal! Thanks all for responding!