A Pound of Muscle weight more than and a Pound of fat?

CountryDevil
CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
OK, lets see if we can clear this up....

1) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.
2) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat by "volume" muscle will weigh more.
3) 50 cubic inches of fat and 50 cubic inches muscle is still 50 cubic inches of mass.
4) 50 cubic inches of fat will weigh less than 50 cubic inches of muscle because there is more mass to muscle. Fat cells are less compact that muscle cells. Muscle cells are more compact so they have more mass per volume.

So kiddies, what does this tell us???

Does muscle weigh more than fat? Sure, when you are talking about mass per volume. But does a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat, no. They are still both a pound..

Thank you for participating and listening to CD's Science 101 lesson for the day.

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    OK, lets see if we can clear this up....

1) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.
    2) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat by "volume" muscle will weigh more.
    3) 50 cubic inches of fat and 50 cubic inches muscle is still 50 cubic inches of mass.
    4) 50 cubic inches of fat will weigh less than 50 cubic inches of muscle because there is more mass to muscle. Fat cells are less compact that muscle cells. Muscle cells are more compact so they have more mass per volume.

So kiddies, what does this tell us???

Does muscle weigh more than fat? Sure, when you are talking about mass per volume. But does a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat, no. They are still both a pound..

Thank you for participating and listening to CD's Science 101 lesson for the day.

BEST. THREAD. EVER. Thanks for sharing for those who are confused. :bigsmile:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    But what about a pound of fat vs a pound of hair?
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member

I love the spirit here, but as a biology prof I have to point out that cubic inches are a measure of VOLUME not mass. (Your point is correct, but little things like this can undercut the integrity of your point.)
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    wait, wait, wait...

so a pound of muscle weighs THE SAME as a pound of fat?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    That's like a question my high school algebra teacher used to pose...which would you rather have dropped on you, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. Doesn't matter, a ton is a ton is a ton....still 2000 pounds, unless it's a metric ton, which is where he was always going with that example. Trying to teach metric measurements.
  • Good catch... you are correct. A pound is a pound. However, a pound of muscle will help you burn off a pound of fat quicker because it takes more calories to maintain muscle than it does to maintain a pound of fat. So the moral of the story is, the pounds you want to put on are pounds of muscle because they will help you take off pounds of fat.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member

I love the spirit here, but as a biology prof I have to point out that cubic inches are a measure of VOLUME not mass. (Your point is correct, but little things like this can undercut the integrity of your point.)

Oops.. you are right... my bad. But the concept is still valid.
  • and the crowd goes wild with applause! I've been explaining this for years to people that insist that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. What? Do they not listen when they speak? A pound of something weighs exactly the same as a pound of something else. Period. A pound of muscle takes up less room in your jeans than a pound of fat - now THAT's saying something!
  • samlamb
    samlamb Posts: 2
    So I've always known this and understood it, but I still get confused with the numbers I see on the scale. For example, I've recently started working out more and I think I've definitely built a little more muscle. The last time I took my measurements they had not changed however, but my weight has gone up 3 lbs.! I am recovering from an eating disorder, so seeing a three pound gain is something that would usually give me extreme anxiety, but I'm trying to stay positive and not worry because I feel as if I am doing everything right. So my question is, is it possible that I've gained weight from building muscle? Or have I actually gained fat as well? How much will my weight go up or fluctuate while building muscle mass? Does anyone have any personal experience to share?
  • But what about a pound of fat vs a pound of hair?

Comeon there, we know you don't have that worry ;)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Continuing the science lesson -- how difficult is it to put on a whole pound of muscle? Wouldn't it be supremely difficult to do so in a short period of time (say, one week) when one is eating at a calorie deficit?
  • :) LOL! Loving this post!
    I think back to a "riddle" my mother once asked me
    "which weighs more a ton of feathers or ton of lead?"
    a ton is a ton is a ton the true question is which takes up more space!
  • But what about a pound of fat vs a pound of hair?

Comeon there, we know you don't have that worry ;)

Oh no they didnt just say that!?! :laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    That's like a question my high school algebra teacher used to pose...which would you rather have dropped on you, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. Doesn't matter, a ton is a ton is a ton....still 2000 pounds, unless it's a metric ton, which is where he was always going with that example. Trying to teach metric measurements.

This^^
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Thank the gods, omeone else who understands that 1lb of x weight the same as 1lb of Y whether it's muscle and fat or brick and feathers. 1lb is still 1lb. I apploud you for having the patience to explain it so clearly. I uually just roll my eyes and click away in disgust.
  • winstonh
    winstonh Posts: 48
    Losing weight would be way more fun if there wasn't so much math involved.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Who doesn't know that a pound of whatever weighs a pound? When people say muscle weighs more than fat, I sincerely doubt that is what they mean.
  • angiolm
    angiolm Posts: 52
    It's freakin' Ground Hog Day AGAIN!! :sad:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    if only the people who wanted to argue with me over this last night would read this thread....
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Losing weight would be way more fun if there wasn't so much math involved.

Are you kidding? That makes it so much more fun!