A Pound of Muscle weight more than and a Pound of fat?

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    To sum it up: A pound is a pound whether it's fat or muscle or gray matter or bionic implant. Muscle is more dense than fat. If you have the same volume of both, muscle will outweigh fat.

I think we can appreciate the spirit of the myth. I think I've heard trainers say this in the gym, too. But you're right. It's a definite misnomer.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2_wBQnulpf5wNECijYl35QhpN95Opi-97X4nHznTa_j6IGF-T
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Great post...unfortunately sooooo many are still going to miss the point.

Ladies---THROW OUT THE SCALE! (yes I am yelling, it is a point that needs to be yelled)

If you want to measure your progress, do measurements and go by how your clothes are fitting and how you feel. That number is going to drive you insane.

When I was at the height of my fitness, I actually weighed more than when I was at my "skinniest". But I was toned and lean and fit. Where as, when I weighed less, I was what they call skinny fat. I was smaller but I was lumpy and jiggly. :laugh:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and well until you start talking about reams of paper... then all your fancy "math" and "science" goes out the window.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options

LOL.. Sorry.. It had to be done...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    3) 50 cubic inches of fat and 50 cubic inches muscle is still 50 cubic inches of mass.

I love the spirit here, but as a biology prof I have to point out that cubic inches are a measure of VOLUME not mass. (Your point is correct, but little things like this can undercut the integrity of your point.)

WTF is a pound by volume is my question. Apparantly that pound weighs more :s
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    LOL thats like asking which is heavier - a ton of feathers or a ton of lead.

Both weight a ton, material is irrelevant.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Thank you, but I think the horse has had enough.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and well until you start talking about reams of paper... then all your fancy "math" and "science" goes out the window.

When you pick things up with two hands, they are less heavy. It's science.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Tell me why someone can't pick up a 10lb dumb-bell!!!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Ladies---THROW OUT THE SCALE! (yes I am yelling, it is a point that needs to be yelled)

If you want to measure your progress, do measurements and go by how your clothes are fitting and how you feel. That number is going to drive you insane.

When I was at the height of my fitness, I actually weighed more than when I was at my "skinniest". But I was toned and lean and fit. Where as, when I weighed less, I was what they call skinny fat. I was smaller but I was lumpy and jiggly. :laugh:

This works if you' re just a bit fat, if you are obese you're not going to replace every pound of fat with muscle, so it's good to keep an eye on your weight
  • IronSmasher
    Options

This works if you' re just a bit fat, if you are obese you're not going to replace every pound of fat with muscle, so it's good to keep an eye on your weight

Totally. You have to remember there are plenty of people over 250lb reading these posts, and they tend to be those that need more help
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This poor dead horse.

I so sorry horsey.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    So I've always known this and understood it, but I still get confused with the numbers I see on the scale. For example, I've recently started working out more and I think I've definitely built a little more muscle. The last time I took my measurements they had not changed however, but my weight has gone up 3 lbs.! I am recovering from an eating disorder, so seeing a three pound gain is something that would usually give me extreme anxiety, but I'm trying to stay positive and not worry because I feel as if I am doing everything right. So my question is, is it possible that I've gained weight from building muscle? Or have I actually gained fat as well? How much will my weight go up or fluctuate while building muscle mass? Does anyone have any personal experience to share?
    If you've just started working out it is probably water retention, your muscles hold on to it to help repair after a work out. Takes about a month to actually build muscle. Even if it is fat dw, if you've had an eating disorder you could probably do with a couple of extra pounds.We all need a bit of fat to look good and be healthy.
    Just keep at it, I have a friend who had anorexia, she turned her body obsession into a health obsession, she started body building, eating the calories needed for body building, and she's turned her life around to be really fit and healthy and happy (:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Yea, I am more than just a little fat. And that scale drives me completely insane. But you know what does go down consistently? Measurements.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

Yea, I am more than just a little fat. And that scale drives me completely insane. But you know what does go down consistently? Measurements.

I never said you shouldn't measure, you should, I do.
    And I never said the scales are the be all and end all of weight loss.
    I just meant that it's never going to be healthy to weigh 300lb, so you shouldn't "throw out the scales" as it is still important to keep an eye on weight, to see how close you are to a healthy bmi etc.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    OK, lets see if we can clear this up....

1) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound.
    2) A pound of muscle and a pound of fat by "volume" muscle will weigh more.

Uh......So which one is it? #1 or #2. I think you need to rephrase #2 into English. #1 is telling us a pound is a pound. #2 is telling us that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Technically, a pound of muscle would take up less volume than a pound of fat because it is denser (more compact).
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Here's how I explain this to people who don't get it.

What would a muscular but average built person weigh if that old tale were true? They'd be 400lbs right? A little 5'3" irishman with lean muscle would have to be well over 300lbs.

Then I look at them, waiting for them to get it. But for some reason they just think I'm a jerk...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options

Hahahahaha

One word folks DENSITY.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

I never said you shouldn't measure, you should, I do.
    And I never said the scales are the be all and end all of weight loss.
    I just meant that it's never going to be healthy to weigh 300lb, so you shouldn't "throw out the scales" as it is still important to keep an eye on weight, to see how close you are to a healthy bmi etc.

I will always be overweight according to BMI because of my lean body mass. In order to be normal by BMI standards I need to lose lean body mass. In all reality, after I lose this fat I will once again be trying to build lean body mass and will eventually be obese by BMI standards and be at a healthy body fat percentage of 12% to 15%. So what I am saying is that a healthy BMI is pointless.