Running in the winter

Options
13»

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So does your body get used to the burning lungs that feel like they are bleeding? That's always why I have avoided running in the cold.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So does your body get used to the burning lungs that feel like they are bleeding? That's always why I have avoided running in the cold.

Yes! It's terrible. When I wrap a scarf around my neck and over my mouth, it changes things 100%
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

I just watch that video and it really looks like the key to running in the winter. I need to SEE how some layers something for me to get it (LOL). I think I might be excited to run in the winter, and I HATE winter LOL.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i used polar brand leggings. shoes were the same it was cold here but not snowy so i dont know if i could run in the snow.. that might be the day to break on the treadmill. i enjoyed running in the winter though it was nice. some of the colder days were harder on the lungs but apparell is what it is all about. my fav shoes are new balance got fitted at a running store and have tried other brands but everyone is different from what i read.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am a baby about cold. But, running on ice is fun. I wear:

under armor cold weather tights
    under armor top
    pretty awesome waterproof windbreaker with a hood
    toboggan/headband for my poor ears
    windproof gloves
    a neck gaiter AND waterproof ankle gaiters (neck gaiter in case it gets too cold to breathe direct air, like I said, I'm a baby)
    Darn Tough socks (love them!!)
    Salomon running shoes that are gore-tex/waterproof, I only wear these in the winter.
    YAKTRAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yaktraks are so awesome and hilarious... last winter I was running by people in cars during blizzards as they slid through stop signs. Also, running in snow/ice has to burn a kajillion more calories.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know its not the same but I cycled through the winter last year . I just wore trackie bottoms , t-shirt , warm top , waterproof trousers and a warm hi-viz jacket, I wore a wooly hat covering my ears under my helmet. I tried using a scarf around my mouth but found it made my glasses steam up. I think this year I'm going to get snow tyres, as I took a tumble last year, I hit ice while I was doing around 15mph , was lucky not to get hurt.
  • bexp2
    bexp2 Posts: 41
    Options
    I love running in Oregon's winter--rain and fairly mild temps, usually not below freezing. I wear an Under Armor Cold Gear shirt and shorts, water resistant and breathable jacket, some cotton track pants, hat, gloves, and just my normal Asics and cotton socks. I'm soaked when I'm done, but I've never felt cold or had problems with my feet. Always a shower and dry clothes waiting at the end, so not a big worry for me.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    What about rainy conditions?? I live in Oregon where its not so much cold but rainy and wet from November through March. I'm bound and determined to walk/run outside this year...does wick dry clothes help with that too?

Wear a hat! I've run in the rain and the water poured down my face. I run in a pair of Asics running pants that do a great job of keeping me dry. On top I have a couple of wicking shirts I bought at REI (REI brand) that keep me dry for the most part. I also just bought a pair of Under Armour compression shorts which are great.

What exactly is the purpose of compression pants? To keep the blood flowing?
    I wear compression shorts because I like to wear Nike basketball shorts for most fitness things. It's just comfortable for me when they fit loose. I wear compression shorts under because the shorts chafe if I go on long runs.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never bumped a thread before, but here I am doing so. I'm going to need this info.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Brilliant info - thanks everyone!

I literally just bought some yak tracks this weekend in Costco, so now I feel like I'll be set for the snow/ice!

And I think Under Armour will be getting a visit from me pretty soon! I'm planning on my first marathon in April, so the mileage will be building through the winter. But like someone else has already mentioned - no matter what I wear, my butt is always cold!!