Breakfast-Is a shake enough for you?

Options
Good morning friends!
Call me crazy, but a shake in the morning is just not enough for me.
I need some substance!
I have tried just a shake for breakfast, but it just doesn't soothe my appetite.
Maybe it is because I usually work out the night before, but I usually have to eat something.
How about you?
I currently use Body Fortress with Whey, Vanilla, and Almond Milk
Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have tried shakes for brekkie as well - was not good!

Eat a bigger breakfast, and a tad bit smaller lunch and a smaller dinner is what I do :) x
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    my shake has to have fruit in it or peanut butter. I have to hae some extra substance...it is pretty much a smoothie for breakfast in my case.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat a small bf and I`m not into shakes

normal bf for me is yogurt and coffee
    or specialK redberry , o`s , rasin brand or shreaded wheat with skim or almond breeze

I work out in the morning after bf so I don`t like alot in me until after the workout

my day is normaly

200-300 bf cals
    600-900 lunch cals
    500-600 dinner cals
    200-300 snack cals
    depends on how much exercise I do durning the day and yes I eat my exercise cals most all of them
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've had those in the morning.....and they keep me full sometimes til lunch and other times I do have a morning snack......though I don't particularly care for the taste of protein shakes(I use body fortress), I chug them down and my stomach usually doesn't want food for a long time......maybe you should add peanut butter......or pb2(powdered peanut butter, it has lower calories).....that might help you feel fuller longer....
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A shake is not a meal. That's my personal opinion. We have to make sure we are getting enough calories, especially while we are exercising.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning, usually on an empty stomach because I just can't eat first thing in the a.m. When I get to work, I have an EAS AdvantEdge shake, which has low carbs (I don't really care that much about the carbs, it's just $3 cheaper for a 4 pack than the regular Myoplex Lite and the dark chocolate tastes great) and 17 grams of protein. It keeps me full until lunch.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had those in the morning.....and they keep me full sometimes til lunch and other times I do have a morning snack......though I don't particularly care for the taste of protein shakes(I use body fortress), I chug them down and my stomach usually doesn't want food for a long time......maybe you should add peanut butter......or pb2(powdered peanut butter, it has lower calories).....that might help you feel fuller longer....

Great idea with the peanut butter, I think I will try that next week!
    Thanks!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    How about an actual breakfast instead of just a shake?

I normally eat one fried egg, a piece of toast, two pieces of bacon and fruit for breakfast. That only comes out to about 300-400 calories.. and keeps me full till lunch.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    my shake has to have fruit in it or peanut butter. I have to hae some extra substance...it is pretty much a smoothie for breakfast in my case.

Great idea! I never thought about adding fruit!
    I have frozen strawberries in the freezer, I think I will try that tomorrow!
    Thank you!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I have tried shakes for brekkie as well - was not good!

Eat a bigger breakfast, and a tad bit smaller lunch and a smaller dinner is what I do :) x

I eat a lot for breakfast or at least I try, since I work out the evening before I am starving first thing in the morning
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I eat a small bf and I`m not into shakes

normal bf for me is yogurt and coffee
    or specialK redberry , o`s , rasin brand or shreaded wheat with skim or almond breeze

I work out in the morning after bf so I don`t like alot in me until after the workout

my day is normaly

200-300 bf cals
    600-900 lunch cals
    500-600 dinner cals
    200-300 snack cals
    depends on how much exercise I do durning the day and yes I eat my exercise cals most all of them

Great plan for your meals as far as the calorie counts go...
    I eat a huge breakfast and lunch, then a smaller dinner, which could be why I am starving in the evening.
  • scrapgun
    scrapgun Posts: 16
    Options
    I save the shakes for days that I have had a big lunch, and just need something for dinner... like today :D
    Besides they say eat like a King at breakfast, Prince at Lunch and a Pauper at dinner... I have been trying this out the last month and am getting some results... which is always nice... :D
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    A shake is not a meal. That's my personal opinion. We have to make sure we are getting enough calories, especially while we are exercising.

I don't think I could consider it a meal, but I know some people do, just thought maybe I was doing something wrong!
    Thanks!
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No breakfast is the best for me. I can control myself and eat like a king for lunch and dinner. 2 big 750 cal meals is all I need. 4 1/2 months and 60lbs lost. Can't argue with that. (leangains.com)

But if you need a pick me up, Kashi cereal is great along with a shake to start the day.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite quote :bigsmile:

BREAKFAST LIKE A KING, LUNCH LIKE A PRINCE, DINE LIKE A PAUPER
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    I have 40g Porrige and 200ml Semi-Skimmed milk. I used to have it with water but was lacking in calories and dairy for the day! Sometimes I add fruit (1/2 a Banana or a Plum) or sometimes a tablespoon of mixed seeds. I am hungry by 10h30 so I eat a piece of fruit. Coupled with 1 litre of water I manage to get through to lunch time - anywhere between 12h30 and 13h00. I used to have Protein Shakes 2 years ago as a supplement when I started strength training, but my hunger was never satisfied! Hope this helps.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    How about an actual breakfast instead of just a shake?

I normally eat one fried egg, a piece of toast, two pieces of bacon and fruit for breakfast. That only comes out to about 300-400 calories.. and keeps me full till lunch.

Yeah, that is what I do, a shake and then breakfast....
    But I like your idea of bacon for breakfast....
    Thanks!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I work out in the morning, usually on an empty stomach because I just can't eat first thing in the a.m. When I get to work, I have an EAS AdvantEdge shake, which has low carbs (I don't really care that much about the carbs, it's just $3 cheaper for a 4 pack than the regular Myoplex Lite and the dark chocolate tastes great) and 17 grams of protein. It keeps me full until lunch.

Thanks for the suggestion...I will look around for that brand!
    Thanks!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    I save the shakes for days that I have had a big lunch, and just need something for dinner... like today :D
    Besides they say eat like a King at breakfast, Prince at Lunch and a Pauper at dinner... I have been trying this out the last month and am getting some results... which is always nice... :D

Nice...I like that, eat like a King at breakfast!
    I might have to try the shake for dinner then!
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating breakfast in the mornings. Makes me feel physically ill. Even a shake can be too much some times, but I choke it down because I need to. Just add some strawberries and 1/2 banana to it. It should fill you up for a few hours.