the michael phelps diet

Options
13»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I go on week-long backpacking trips, I eat 6,000 (or more) calories a day and still lose - most of them from carbs, especially simple carbs and sugar. I'm sure his training is even more intense than my backpacking. And he's young. And he's male. So, 12,000 calories a day - heavy on the carbs does not surprise me at all!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    His facial expression is hilarious!
    He eats his exercise calories....lol

phelps_art_200v_20080813150643.jpg

Officially the most important post of the day.

By the way.. love this.. haha, it should be the MFP background for the home screen.

Does everyone remember when this pic was taken? It was after Jason Lezak (sp?) was a full body length behind on the anchor leg of the relay (behind the french team that said they would beat on us like an old guitar). Lezak pulled it out of nowhere and beat the French guy by a few hundredths of a second. Easily the best Olympic race I've ever seen. I imagine I had a similar response as Phelps... just at that time... a much fatter body. :)
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Makes me hungry reading all that! Ha!

I too used to be a swimmer, every single person that I swam with (including myself) ate ridiculous amounts of food. Every single one of us put on ridiculous amounts of weight when we stopped.

I remember eating meat pies with chocolate milk at 6am in the morning after a training session, eating finger buns/cake with icing on my way to school and eating MacDonalds after night training . I was a toned, had low body fat and was athletetic. It was awesome! Lol.

When I stopped swimming, I put on a ridiculous amount of weight, It was the heaviest I'd ever been or was.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    One thing not mentioned....body heat loss in water is MUCH greater than in air. He not only is burning calories by actually swimming, but actually trying to keep his core temperature up to 98.6 degrees. Water cooler than the body will act as an unlimited heat sink. I wouldn't suggest eating all those calories unless you're going to be in a pool for 8 hours a day.