Who does not eat back exercise calories???

Options

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't ,and my weight loss is going well.
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine unless I'm hungry. My calorie goal is 1600 and I work out at least an hour every day and I've lost 23 lbs since the end of June. I'm meeting with a nutritionist this afternoon and plan to ask about the eating back exercise calories thing - I'll post back with what she says!

BUMP

I am interested in what they say!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    People who don't exercise?

Love it!

I have to eat mine back. If my calorie deficit is too large I stop losing weight completely. For my body, with my genetics, it's more important that I just stay active, the calorie deficit isn't as important.
  • I never eat them back. It hasn't stopped me gaining, hasn't stopped me having energy.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a simple formula for losing weight...Help

If it were that easy, there'd be no need for forums, etc.

The only thing we know FOR SURE is calories in<calories out = weight loss. But even that isnt 100% guaranteed! That's why the phrase "everyone is different, each to their own!" is soooo true. Some eat back all their exercise calories and lose weight. Other eat them and dont lose weight. Some dont eat them and lose weight. Some dont eat them and dont lose weight. Its all about trying every method, and sticking with what works FOR YOU! :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I do not, but a lot of people on this site are ADAMANT that you must eat them...

For me, its working and I'm losing (and have energy and don't feel like I'm deprived). If /when the time comes where that slows down or I hit a plateau, I'll change things up.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You can get away with it at first.i lost 80lb not doing, before loss ground to a halt.

Now i eat as and when i'm hungry, generally to my calorie allowance, but sometimes well into my exercise calories. I feel better physically and lose well with this approach. Listen to your body. If you are hungry or tired, eat!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    I don't set mine back, but may dip into them if I need to. Can't see the point of burning calories then eating them !! If that's the case I can't see the point in burning them !!!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I never eat my workout calories :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cheryl72076
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat back my cals either. I figure it wouldn't help much with my goal of LOSING weight. There have been a few times that it's worked as a cushion but more not than has. I've lost nearly 40lbs and feel great. Still have about 50lbs before goal but I know I'll get there. But again, it's what works for YOU and not me. So try it out but give your body enough time to allow what you choose to work.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do not eat mine back. I zig zag my calories and eat the amount I am supposed to eat per day. I eat from 1400 to 1800 on varying days. I usually burn from 400 to 500 calories of exercise 6 days a week. I am losing great. I have had some bumps a long the way, but in general, my diet is working out great! There are days when I feel hungry, but not most days. I am almost to my goal and should be there within a month maybe.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1/3-1/2 exercise calories back most days. If it's a crazy burn day like +1K I cannot eat that much.

I just feel more flexible when I work out and eat when I'm hungry. It definitely worked at the beginning. I've hit a 3rd plateau. I always evaluate then and may have more rest days or higher calorie days.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I don't. I normally burn 800-1000 calories a day, and I just could never eat that many additional calories! I eat 1200... ya ya I only net a few hundred, bad me. But it's working I've lost 11 lbs. in the past 45 days. 157 down to 146, so I'm gonna stick with it and if I plateau I'll re-evaluate.

I can pretty much guarantee that you won't see a loss for very long. Plenty of studies have shown that the bigger the calorie deficit the harder it is to keep your initial loss off. You may lose a lot of weight in the beginning but once you increase your calories your body will rebound and you'll gain again. That's why so many dieters experience a yo-yo effect.

The best way to lose fat is to get yourself into habits you can live with for the rest of your life. Eat a healthy, balanced diet with the occasional treat, and get plenty of exercise both from the gym and from your everyday life. Take the stairs, park farther away from the grocery store, just generally stay active. Of course, in order to burn fat you'll need to have a calorie deficit but it doesn't need to be huge. 200-500 calories less is really all you need. You'll keep your body healthier that way.
  • bakogwtw
    Options
    I eat mine...it motivates me to exercise more. I haven't lost weight quickly...lost roughly 24-26 pounds (depends on the day; my weight fluctuates 1-2 pounds every day) since January, but I met my goal weight over a month ago (22 pounds). I don't have any cravings, and enjoy eating out with friends. Exercise allows that without the guilt. However, my daily calorie "budget" was 1200. When I run 8+ miles, 1200 calories leaves me very hungry, and weak. I think it depends on your calorie budget and what exercise you are doing, and what your eventual goal is.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Great question, I want to see how many people are losing if not eating back their exercise calorie. That is such a confusing topic. I have been eating some back and my weight loss is going by REAL SLOW. I would love to have a simple formula for losing weight...Help

Slow is good! The slower it comes off the more likely it is to STAY off. And the simple formula for losing weight? Do what MFP tells you to do. Seriously - it really doesn't get any simpler.

That said - I don't have anything to say to the OP really. I eat mine. Always. =)
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Yeah I don't eat back my cals either. I figure it wouldn't help much with my goal of LOSING weight. There have been a few times that it's worked as a cushion but more not than has. I've lost nearly 40lbs and feel great. Still have about 50lbs before goal but I know I'll get there. But again, it's what works for YOU and not me. So try it out but give your body enough time to allow what you choose to work.

It does actually help and it does work. MFP already gives you a calorie deficit, there's not reason you need to make it bigger by not eating your exercise calories. If you're eating at your maintenance calories not eating exercise cals is fine, but if you're at a deficit you should eat them.
  • lovebug1982
    Options
    I do eat some if im hungry but I don't normally
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on it. I'm still alive.

Ditto.. I find myself zig-zagging. Today I burned almost 1000 calories, and it's only after lunch. There's no way I can eat another 1400 calories for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow, is an off day, I may only burn 200, in which case I probably will eat them back.
  • Dean31
    Dean31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried to not eat mine back at first and I felt like CRAP. I couldn't do it. I'd literally get sick. It seems to work for a lot of people though. I'm sure it makes a difference with how much you have to lose too. I've never had that much to lose, and I usually work out pretty hard, so I think my calorie count would be severely low if I didn't. My body sends me VERY clear signals that it is not at all happy if I don't eat my calories back.

You have to keep in mind too though that it also depends on your net goal vs. what you've ate and burned. If you have a goal of 1400 cals (like me) and you eat 2000 cals that day, but only burn off 600 cals through exercise, then you've only managed to set your net back to 1400. You'd NOT eat back any of those calories because then you'd go over your goal again. On the other hand, if you've burned 700 that day then you'd eat back 100 (which will put your net at 1400-your goal). SO, it's really not as simple as "do or don't I eat them back," ya gotta do the math to see where you are (which MFP does for you if you use it like it's intended)!
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i do not eat mine back either, its worked great with my weight loss and have not stumped me at all, I still have plenty of energy and the point for me was weight loss so after i had my meals and done my workout i do not eat back those calories because my focus is weight loss and yes it says you are under calorie goal but i think it's what ever works for you along with what you are eating .. calories from a grilled 3oz chicken breast is a lot different than calories from McDonald cheeseburger... lol :-)