Who does not eat back exercise calories???

Options

Replies

• andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. I went through a nutrition class at the health system I work at and I meet with a dietitian regularly. The dietitian told me that unless I am extensively exercising (not just a half hour to an hour a day) I don't need to worry about eating what I burnt during exercise. I try to stay close to eating 1300 calories per day and if I exercise I may go up to 1400. I am a slow loser, and I gain if I eat more than 1400 on average.

I think you just need to work with your body to find out what works best for you but in doing so be mindful that your body needs fuel in the form of nutritious food to stay running.
  • Crystal3004
    Crystal3004 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i eat some of mine back but not all...im trying to get down as much as possible so i want to keep the cals down.
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten mine back! I have lots of energy and I kept losing and havn't gained either!
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat some of mine, and I lost 12# in the first 4-5 weeks. Fell off the wagon for a bit, but now I am back on. I usually burn 500-700 calories with my workout. If I am not hungry, I leave them, you just have to find what works for you.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back, never have. I don't see the point. I've lost an average of 1.5lbs a week without hardly working out. Now that i'm working out a lot I still don't eat them back & I never feel drowsy & weak.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Add me to the choir, I don't count exercise. I don't exercise hard like I used to, but any calories burnt on walking, physical work at my job, etc. are considered 'bonus'. I lose about a pound a week.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    i don't eat mine unless i'm hugry or i'm going out. i'm losing about 1.5lbs a week.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking about not---I think sometimes the calories burned are not always accurate--so I am going to try this without eating them back.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    my mother's brother's cousins' ex-wife's brother in law does not
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't, and I have been doing well. I am sure to aim for at least 1450 if I can (that's my MFP goal), but sometimes I don't get there, and I'm just not hungry. I never let my food calories drop below 1200, though. Sometimes if I want to splurge on something high-calorie and terrible, I'm sure to exercise a bit more than usual so I can create a cushion for the extra input! So far I seem to be losing 2-lbs/week pretty consistently (I track my deficits daily, but I only weigh-in like once per month).
  • Angelamu77
    Options
    I only eat them back if I am hungry.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine either.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    my mother's brother's cousins' ex-wife's brother in law does not

:laugh:
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back about 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise cals, but I don't trust my calorie estimates and so I usually leave a couple hundred calories on the table.

I figure, a deficit of 200 or 300 isn't going to push me into starvation mode.

Tomorrow we're planning to go to an Old Country Buffet in our neighborhood; it's one of those places where your kids can scream as loud as they want and no one seems to mind. I'm going to burn 1000 cals or so in the morning and then will eat guilt-free at night.

I have found when I eat every exercise calorie, I end up feeling full all the time and I don't lose weight. I need to feel a little bit hungry at least part of the day in order to really be burning fat. That's just me, though. Others may differ.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard time staying on a diet in the first place, it's probably better to eat back your exercise calories. If you're in the game for life, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It depends on the individual. When a person is new to the weight-loss game, I tell them to eat those calories back, because I simply don't want them feeling like they're starving to death. It's all fun and games until you catch them behind the refrigerator with a ten-foot hoagie with a look of guilt on their faces. So, if you have been on this site, or any site, for awhile, and you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, good for you. Stay in the game for life. And if you've been munching back those calories after you've done your furious workouts, but still in the game, good for you too. We're all stroking this baby a little differently, but losing, and that makes it all good.
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So the last time I lost a lot of weight, I never ate back my exercise calories unless it was that TOM and I was extra hungry. But, the body burns, I believe, an extra 300 calories a day during your TOM.

My last go around, I would do at least an hour at the gym, and on most days, I would go rollerblading outside for an hour too, and I only ate around 1200-1300 calories a day. I lost about 40 pounds in 2.5 months so it definitely worked for me. In my opinion, the point of exercising is to lose weight faster. We can only eat so few calories in the day, so the only other way to lose weight is to exercise. To eat those back would take away one of the major benefits.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    i eat back 1/4 or 1/3 of my exercise calories and im doing great and feel great lol
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I'm more hungry (and usually end up eating more) on days that I don't exercise (or burn as many calories). It's ok if I'm a freak, you guys can tell me. :huh:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I'm more hungry (and usually end up eating more) on days that I don't exercise (or burn as many calories). It's ok if I'm a freak, you guys can tell me. :huh:

Don't endorphins curb appetite? If so, that makes perfect sense that you're more hungry when you don't workout!
  • chrymyrs
    chrymyrs Posts: 38
    Options
    I am very curious as to what the nutritionist says. I've been eating my calories back sometimes, but wasn't sure if I should or not.