Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - September Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Aly---so sorry for your loss....thats a tough thing to go through

Meag - congrats on your 1/2.....amazing time, especially injured!

AFM: I have been upping my running, I can do 3.1miles without stopping and have done 7 miles with only 6mins of walking in it. I am thinking about signing up for a 1/2 in March...figuring I can work up to 13.1 by then. I finally passed my plateau and lost 1.5lbs this week after 5wks of no loss...so I am happy with that and its helping me stick with it! Nothing else exciting here....
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! :drinker: again apologies for my absenteeism.. Same excuse as always! lol

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Weighed in this morning at 122.1lbs. Down 0.5lbs from last week, likely due to my race plus being back to logging again. I've been under quite a bit this week (in my own terms of course - under means like1800 cals...lol damn girl, you eat a lot) but I plan to make up for it on the weekend, as usual. Lots of awesome plans this weekend. Concert tonight at a lounge downtown, spin in the morning, then going to a local butcher shop to order a TON of meat to keep in the deep freeze for the winter, then heading into Toronto for Ontario Beer Week and a nice dinner out at an amazing bistro (not calorie-counting friendly). Sunday I am finally going to get some fall clothing in the USA, since I've been freezing in my summer clothes the last 2 weeks but have nothing to wear. Yay for shopping in US!

Enjoying my increase in spin classes - Really like the workout but it's tough stuff on my joints some days. At least I feel like I am doing a good job of diversifying. 5 days of running a week is just way too hard on my body. I'm going to stick with 3 days/week for now and include 2 days worth of cycling and one day with yogafit... we'll see how that goes!

Aly - Very sorry to hear about your brother. All my thoughts and obsolescences to your family in their time of grief. I really hope you all can find the strength and peace of mind to make it through this time together. Major <<hugs>> girl. Thinking of you. And although I know it may not help, try to maintain your schedule as best you can to keep yourself grounded in the familiar. I know that life can feel totally out of control when we are faced with such sadness and loss, so keeping other facets of your life grounded and steady may help to keep you feeling as "normal" as possible. Much :heart:

Abby - Thanks!! Sounds like you are really pumping up the running and I have no doubt that you can finish a Half by March! That's ages away and you're already more than half-way there! 12 weeks training should be more than enough to get you to a place where you feel like you can sustain over 13.1 miles. Congrats on breaking your plateau, as well. What a fab week!

greenhumanclay - Good plan! Breaking a leg would definitely hinder your workout plans in the next 6-8 weeks :tongue:

Eep! Late for work! Gotta run ladies - Have a great Friday! :heart:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Dinner tonight turned out great!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/349140-what-do-your-meals-look-like-let-me-see-pics?page=2#posts-4740816

Check it out! I'm heading out to a concert tonight with Ty... Hope y'all have a great night! Enjoy your weekends if I don't get back to post before Sunday! :heart:
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Hope everyone had a wonderful Friday!

Today has been a great day stayed under my calorie goal, drank plenty of h20, could use some more sleep but I can catch up this weekend hopefully. Jogged this am and going for a 4-5 mile jog tomorrow. I finally bought some real running shoes that fit my arch and feel totally awesome, can't wait to run in them tomorrow, they're super cute and super bright! Hope all you ladies have an awesome weekend!!! :bigsmile:
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Aly- Im so sorry about your brother. I lost my brother in 2008. He was 29 years old. It wasnt as tragic as a motorcycle accident but just as sudden and shocking. Something that helped me a lot was knowing I lost him and missed him so much, however I never thought of him losing his entire family and him missing all of us. My sister told me that when a butterfly comes real close to you or even lands on you that thats a kiss from your passed loved ones. I hope this helps comfort you. I still miss him everyday :flowerforyou:

Kntu- Let us know how it works out.

Greenhumanclay- I have high arches what shoes did you find?

I cant wait to start school and know everything about nutrition. Right now its just a guessing game to see if it works or not. I will be enrolling for my school and everything else this Sunday. Cant wait! :bigsmile:

Ive had a weird week. We decided to move furniture around so I havent been to the gym since Monday. I fell off the wagon with the coke this week too....
  • Kntu
    Kntu Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi all

Aly - condolences for your loss. It must be a hard time for you at the moment

It's been an okay week for me. Think I lost a pound or so so that's nice but was ill mid week so haven't done much on the exercise front. Going to go for a walk today before work to try and keep it going. Had a verrrrry bad day yesterday food wise. Couldn't stop feeling hungry and it ended in a curry binge followed by a gigantic slice of sticky toffee pudding. Did't even bother to log it all as I know I've gone waaaaay over 1500 cals. However I guess I've been good for a while now foodwise so it doesn't matter as long as it stays at just one day. Also it was really yummy :smile:

Hope alls good with everyone and that you all have ace weekends!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    *ECCCCHHHHOOOO*

Where is everyone!?! Ok super short post just to bump this topic.

My weekend was incredibly busy and I ended up on my *kitten* with a head cold turned into a sinus infection. Tried to get a million things done but of course I felt like doing nothing but sleep and be alone - Rough days! Today I tried to go shopping because I desperately need to find clothes warm enough for the dropped temps. Unfortunately, I found absolutely *nothing* that fit. Tyler ended up buying a TON of clothing, and although I know its immature and childish it left me feeling pretty resentful. The whole trip was supposed to be my shopping trip and we had discussed prior to leaving that he was just coming along for support and to keep me company, so it was very hard to see him have so much success while I struggled with sizing store after store after store...

Anyway! I need to get to sleep. Still debating work in the morning, given my current health status... Decisions decisions!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!!

Sorry I was MIA this weekend. My first 10k was on saturday and some of you may have seen my post but I completed it in 1:16:46 which was only 1:46 off from where I wanted to be, so I was really happy with that. Super proud of myself for just finishing it with only a couple of walking breaks! I actually have another 10K this weekend and this course is super flat as in no elevation changes at all, so I am expecting for my time to be a little bit faster, but I am not worried about that all. I just want to get out there and enjoy the race again. This race course does have a time cut off at 80 minutes, but since this last time I came in just under that I feel pretty good that I can come in under that again.

I have 4 miles on tap for today. I was going to run this morning, but all the treadmills were in use and I didn't feel comfortable running outside by myself as I haven't run the 4 mile route out here yet. So I will just run this afternoon. Hoping that my knees and hip hold up. After my race Saturday night I was in pretty bad shape with my knees but they felt better yesterday and I tried to stay off my feet.

Of course I am up slightly on the scale but I think that is just bloating and water weight because of the millions of gallons of water I felt like I drank after the race not to mention all of the food I scarfed down over the weekend!

I am hoping that this thread picks up again in October because I really like it and its sad to see it moving so slow. Any ways, keep it up for the rest of September ladies! Only 4 more days!

Megan
  • Kntu
    Kntu Posts: 24
    Options
    Hey!
    Well done in your race Megan, wish I could do that sort of thing but after trying the running my knee has gone crazy again so don't think I'm gonna be going there...Shame coz I like jogging.

So last week didn't really do a lot of exercise, have gained back a lot but feeling bloated and minging so not sure whether it's a proper gain or just a hormonal 'girley' thing. Fingers crossed for the latter. Couldn't do aqua jogging today and won't tomorrow as all my friends wanna see me before I go away travelling.

Which brings me onto my big question...I've been logging for 6 -7 months now and have become a bit addicted. But travelling for a year means I'm gonna have to go it alone which I did very successfully for 22 years. However all the weight that I gained was when I last went travelling and I'm nervous about how I'm gonna cope without knowing how many calories I eaten etc and I'm worried that it's gonna get outta control again. I'm more food aware than I was before, especially portion size and stuff. I wondered whether any of your guys had any advice. I was thinking that maybe I could not log a few days a week and see what happened, sort of wean myself back into not logging. I'm not going to have permanent access to the internet or be able to afford a smart phone with an app. Just after what happened last time...I just don't wanna come home and not fit into my clothes and feel horrid again. sounds vain, but there it is. If anyone's got any advice, words of encouragement, they are really needed!!
    Hope you all had a good weekend!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

This has been a slow thread,

Shortyburb i bought some Nike Air Pegasus 27 in grey/hot pink they're bright and super comfy, comfiest shoes ever. I suggest if you haven't yet to go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes if you do run or even if you don't it' s nice to know which shoes you should be wearing.

mkingraham Congrats on your 10k that's awesome and good luck with your next one you are on a roll!!! :smile:

Meag hope you feel better and I know what you mean about the whole shopping thing, pretty frustrating but if you can call in I would, and take some time to fully rest and maybe do some shopping alone!! :wink:

AFM I had a successful day, woke up feeling sick and have been feeling like this since Friday but haven't gotten full blown sick so I'm hoping tomorrow I will be back to normal plus TOM uggh. I still went out for a short 3.5 miles and had a great weekend jogging with some friends and spent some time with dog training. Have been zig zagging pretty successfully I think, and have been exercising a bit than before with strength training 2xs/week. I will be starting 3 free bootcamp sessions beginning Wednesday hope I like them which I think I will I really enjoy trying new exercises especially with friends.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
  • mkingraham
    Options
    Good Morniing Ladies!

Cynthia- Great job on pushing through and doing 3.5 miles while not feeling well! As far as bootcamp, I really like my bootcamp classes and I think they do a great job in pushing me in a way I can't push my self so I hope you really like them!

Kntu- I think you have already made the biggest step in that you are going to be aware of what you are eating while you are traveling wether or not you log in. I am not sure what the best way to ease into it is or if you should just keep logging as usual until its time for you to leave. But I think that just being self aware is a HUGE part in being successful!

AFM- I was suppose to do 4 miles yesterday but after running for 2.5 my legs were really tired and I was struggling so I stopped there. I don't want to make myself to sore and worn out for the 10k race this weekend. I did do spin and pushed myself hard today so that felt good. I also did a sit and reach challenge. Old school were you see how far you can reach , well I couldn't even get to my toes which just goes to show how much I need to work on stretching out my hamstrings. I am going to put a reminder on my calendar to stand up and do a hamstring stretch every 15 minutes in hopes that I start to loosen up. Any other suggestions to improve my overall flexibility besides simply stretching everyday would be much appreciated! Have a great day ladies!

Megan
  • abby459
    Options
    Megan---Good Luck in your race this weekend!!

AFM---I have been upping my running, but I am having some issues...my last two runs I had episodes of vomiting about 30-45mins after I finished running..One was a short run (3.1miles) and the other was a longer run 7.69 but I walked about 15mins of it. Has anyone ever had this happen?? I dont feel like I push myself too hard, no soreness or achiness, and I felt fine during the running...it was only after I was home that I got sick...but now that it happened twice, I am concerned....any thoughts???
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Today was a rough day for me. Another one. Still really struggling with this illness and feeling like I've got a ton of bricks weighing down my sinus cavity at all times... Wonderful! I decided to try a run this morning anyway and had some moderate success. It had been 4 days since my last run - which is wayyy too long - and I felt it! Between feeling a bit rusty and being really congested, my run was slow and hard but it got done. 4.5miles in 45 mins, plus warm up and cool down. I ended up feeling like trash all day and got sent home/left work after about 4.5hours today. It was much needed. Tyler picked me up, I changed into my lounging clothes, and we ordered Chinese soup and vegged out for the afternoon. He's working from home 2 days a week now so we are trying to see how we can make that work. Thank goodness for it today since I was near incapacitated by the afternoon...

Spin class is on tap tomorrow, assuming I am feeling better. We've been making lots of good food, despite my illness, and I think I'm going to whip up some protein pancakes for breakfast. Made myself a Green Monster tonight with almond milk, spinach, cocoa powder, coconut flour, frozen strawberries and blueberries and some water for mixing. Not bad but I miss my Go-To Choc protein shakes... Had a delish cabbage stir-fry last night (love me some stir-fried cabbage!) and we made Fiesta Chicken Soup tonight, losely based on this recipe: http://www.dairygoodness.ca/milk/my-milk-calendar/recipes/fiesta-chicken-soup NOM! So good :) Obviously I made a bunch of alterations (homemade tortilla strips for starters...) but still, fabulous!

Abby - Vomiting post-run is serious business. Take'r easy until you figure out why that might be happening. I really have no experience with that at all and not a single clue what might be behind it. Hope you figure it out though because it sounds terrible! If it happens a third time, definitely see a doctor about. My best suggestion is to really track what you eat the night before, morning of, and right after, including your water intake - amounts and times. Maybe it's something triggering a reaction? Since it just started happening it could be something specific. Are you fueling well enough before hand and well hydrated? I'm not sure... Try to slueth it out, Abby!

Megan - Good call on the shortened run! They can't all be pretty and 2.5miles is nothing to sneeze at :wink: As for muscle tightness - stretching, icing after your workouts, and doing alternative cardio on your non-running days should help. Try yoga once a week and make sure you are warming up and cooling down before and after each and every run. I'm a hypocrite, but it's really important!

Eeep It's 11pm and I need to be in bed! I'm exhausted and oh-so-sick... Have a great Wednesday ladies!

And hey - Are we thinking this group is going to survive into October? I sure hope so but I'd love some feedback. Do y'all want me to keep posting these challenges? Let me know! :heart:
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

Megan Thanks I think I will enjoy the bootcamp, but man those bootcamps are early at least the one Im going to it's at 6:00 am and I have to be there by 5:45 5:50 since it's my first class, long day tomorrow for sure but I'm excited my girlfriend is going with me. As fas as stretching, I usually google some stretches and incorporate those in my stretching since I have tight hips and achilles, check out some youtube videos on basic yoga and hamstring stretches, but I agree with Meag Yoga will do wonders on stretching once a week if you can or check out a DVD from the library and try @ home in your free time. If you have someone you can partner up with do some hamstring stretches while you lie on your back that would also be something to consider! Good luck and hope your race turns out great!! :happy:

Abby I haven't had this happen to me and I really have no idea why that could be happening except for the possibility of not being properly hydrated, pushing your self to hard even though you mentioned you didn't feel like you pushed yourself to hard. Are you increasing your mileage more than 10%? or running to fast to soon? Hope it doesn't happen again but if it does I'd ask a professional! Good luck to you! :smile:

Meag I really enjoy these threads and I hope you keep them, I try posting on here as much as I can but of course we all have busy lives, but I definitely look forward to reading everyones posts daily and see how they're dong, your doing a great job with these threads although I have been on here only a couple of months it's awesome knowing it survived a year and hope it continues! :bigsmile: Hope you feel better and fully recovered tomorrow!

AFM I have a bootcamp class at 6am so I better hit the sack sooner than later, I had successful day ran 5.75 miles running 5.25m out of that, and considering TOM I felt great. I did get another parking ticket AGAIN ya I apparently didn't learn my lesson, work Downtown and parking SUCKS as well as traffic. Hey at least this ticket is less lol, I met my h20 goal have been exercising consistently and sleeping better minus tonight I will be cut off on some good sleep since I have to be up around 5am. Oh and I finally downloaded some great music I think that's why I ran longer was to listen to some more songs, whatever works... Well until tomorrow hope the day goes smoothly and we all have fabulous days!! Good night!:yawn:
  • mkingraham
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I have been busy at work running around getting stuff together for a retirement party and I haven't been feeling good so that makes me super tired. I hope that whatever is ailing me kicks the bucket before my race on saturday.

I just wanted to drop in and say hi!

Meag- I would love for this thread to keep going, but it appears you and I are the only ones really left around, and you're the only original thread member left. I say we keep going and hopefully more people jump on and jump in :)
  • abby459
    Options
    I would love to keep this thread going too!! I have enjoyed it!!

Oh and an update...I ran today...only 2.5miles though, but no vomiting episodes!!! So I will be strict about warming up and cooling down and no eating a min of 2 hrs before hand....hopefully it never happens again!!!!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

So today was a good day except for I know I will be sore tomorrow I can already feel it. Had bootcamp this morning and I know i haven't worked out the muscles I did today all at once in a while. I ate pretty healthy with of course my usual chocolate cravings. I made for the first time Eggplant, spinach, mushroom lasagna, and it came out so good I was actually impressed being my first first attempt. Definitely a new staple in my cooking. Have been really trying to make time to cook since I really have no time but HAVE to make time because I'm getting lazier and lazier about cooking. Hope you ladies feel better tomorrow seems a lot of peeps have been feeling funky lately, have a great Thursday ya'll! :smile:
  • mkingraham
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Bootcamp this morning and we did a solid 45 minutes of 50 seconds on 10 seconds off of all sort of different exercises. We typically do something cardio, followed by legs, then abs, then arms, then repeat except its not the same cardio/leg/abs/arms exercise everytime. It makes the class go by fast as well as really kicks your butt! I have been eating kind of blah lately so I need to get back on track with eating good. I have some receipes I want to try from my clean eating magazine so time to make them! The plan for tomorrow is a short 2 miles to feel relaxed and loose and then rest on Saturday before my 10k on Sunday. We are suppose to get some great swag and my hubby is running it with me so that should be fun as well! Any who I will keep posting and hopefully you ladies do as well :)

Megan
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I am back! I had to take some time off...looking to reinvent myself and needed a break from the boards. Started a free week trial at the Y, and I am probably going to get the full membership. Exciting, scary, anxiety-ridden...but something has to give! Just glad to be back with y'all :-P

Aly- I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. *hugs* If you need to chat, vent, anything...feel free to PM me. God bless.
  • petiteerrant
    Options
    Hey ladies. Sorry I've been away. Our class took a trip to the north of England, so I was gallavanting around the moors and frolicking upon mountains. Craziness. And although I cheated a little bit the weekend I was away, I've managed to get my weight down to 123.4 -- the official 20 pound mark!! So that was wonderful :)