Too many people at the gym!

Options
I get stage fright or something but when I pull in to the gym parking lot and see all the people working out in the huge glass window, I freak out and I sit there in my car just hoping that they will all LEAVE! LOL I dont know why I get like this.I wish I could just go in and do my own thing,I know there are a lot of men in there and thin women and I am so worried they are looking down on me, I could just hear them saying look at her , no body wants to look at that while we are working out!
I really try not to let it bother me but I just had to vent. Thanks...:grumble:

Replies

• amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I get stage fright or something but when I pull in to the gym parking lot and see all the people working out in the huge glass window, I freak out and I sit there in my car just hoping that they will all LEAVE! LOL I dont know why I get like this.I wish I could just go in and do my own thing,I know there are a lot of men in there and thin women and I am so worried they are looking down on me, I could just hear them saying look at her , no body wants to look at that while we are working out!
    I really try not to let it bother me but I just had to vent. Thanks...:grumble:
  • jschwartz393
    Options
    My gym is packed too but I give it a month and it'll be back to normal. Its the same every Jan... people head to the gym and within a month they stop going... but you wont!!! and neither will I
    YOU CAN DO IT!
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    :smile: Don't worry, most of them are thinking the same thing...and not paying any attention to you.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Options
    I am a member of a co-ed gym and I don't notice anyone looking at me and a lot of the time I'm one of the biggest one there. You just need to keep in mind that just because you aren't the size of them doesn't mean they are looking down on you. That thin girl to the left might have once been your size, if not bigger. Everyone is there for the same reason as you so keep that in mind next time you are self conscious about the way you look. I just go and do my own thing, might look at a scattered person that I see, but I usually don't notice anything and concentrate on my own workout.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you are saying. It could be intimidating, but everyone of them is there for more or less the same reason, right? Everyone starts somewhere. If you are anything like me, then you sometimes give paranoia more reign than reality would support.

Your pic looks great, and I bet you get more appreciation than you realize. Anyway, after a bit you won't even notice anyone else.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of poeple that feel the same as you do.
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
    But as posted before, you will see that number cut in 1/2 or even MORE by Feb 1.
    In the mean time, try to think of the gym a little differently.
    These are people that are in the same like mind as you, these are people of different sizes and shapes working on their bodies to stay or get fit and healthy.
    Try not to look at them with fear, try to look at them with pride.
    You are one of the elite healthy people now! It is not like high school with different people lurking in the corners making fun of other people because they do not fit into their click. THIS IS THE CLICK!
    and you are part of it. :smile:
    Try not to let your fear stop you, I know it is hard, but this will go away!
    If for one reason or another it does not. you might want to consider getting some weights to work out with at home. BUT STILL FORCE YOURSELF TO GO TO THE GYM at LEAST 2 times a week. This will boost your confidence.
    --Diann...
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    I don't like the idea of loads of people looking at me when I'm all sweaty etc and for this reason I have never been to a gym! I keep fit by running outside or doing workout dvds at home if the weather is bad, and my brothers are really into weight lifting so they showed me some weights moves to do using their equipment (dumbells etc). It works well for me, and it's a lot cheper than joining a gym as well!

Jen
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    If you are not comfortable, find out when it is not busy. At the gym I go to, 4 am there are very few people, 6 pm it is jammed.
    Don't let is stop you. Go and do what you have got to do. Most people are probably thinking look at her, way to go. She is doing great.
    Positive thoughts!!

NOW HIT THE GYM:laugh:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Honey I know what you mean...I used to work out at a military base gym and most everyone was so physically fit...I always felt so shy, especially walking out of the locker room to the gym floor...it was set up so that all the cardio machines faced the exit to the womens locker room...what I would do is just get thinking about my training session as I walked to the floor and give a few greeting head nods to the folks on the walkway that were watching me...once you're working out, and if you practice good gym etiquite, you'll make new friends and become part of the scene...the gym will be kindof a home away from home...walk tall and good luck!

Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    because it makes you feel like the biggest fish in the fish bowl and god forbid your body jiggles or wiggles! :laugh:

When I first started at the gym I would do the same thing and most of the time I would end up driving away but eventually you realize that everyone is so focused on what they are doing that they really don't have time to think about you, unless of course your *kitten* is hanging out of your too short shorts and its not they kind of *kitten* anyone wants to see...lol (yes there are two very out of shape twenty somethings at my gym that everyone does notice because they wear really inappropriate clothing for their existing bodies...any who).

Just put your headphones on and go in and do what you gotta do, and like someone else said, come February or March 1/2 those people will be busy quitting their resolutions!

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the gym what their slower times and days are, they will tell you!
  • amandastamey
    Options
    You guys are so great....lol! No my *kitten* aint hanging out its all covered up! LOL THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!:smooched:
  • acoulston
    Options
    I used to feel like that but then thought this.. Are you embarrassed like that when you order @ a Fast Food spot? See.. i bet your not.. Your at the Gym for the same reason they are! To Lose!!!! You can do it!!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I used to be intimidated by the total fitness buffs at my workout facility. I found out that during the day is when the seniors use it the most and during school breaks (I am a teacher) went quite often during those times and really built up my confidence. Then I finally realized that I shouldn't care what others are thinking and to be totally honest I'm sure that most of them never even notice me. Now I just go whenever it's convenient for me and only worry about my favorite elliptical machine being taken.
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    I belong to an independently owned all women's gym. Have you thought about looking into that idea? It does cost a little more than say 24 Hr Fitness but the environment is totally worth it. The gym is a lot cleaner, aesthetically pleasing (since it is geared toward womens' tastes), and no one has to worry about what they look like. Also, since it's smaller with limited membership, I NEVER have to wait for a machine and the classes are never too full. The trainers are top notch and the customer service is so awesome - everyone knows your name! I've found out from experience that you have to put some work into finding the best options and you get what you pay for. GOOD LUCK! YOU WILL SUCCEED!!!:wink:
  • rockymtnguy
    Options
    Of course that is probably a pretty natural feelign. Best I can say is, don't worry what others think of you. It really doesn't matter, you pay the same as they do, you are no different - bottom line - end of story. At the swim and fitness center I attend the folks are all good people and don't dare talk about others cause most of us are there each and every day. And we are there for 1 thing to stay or get into shape. And if I or any of my group see or hear that kind of behavior we put a stop to it - in a tactful way of course. The same holds true for sharing the equipment, it's equal and if not it'll be handled. And usually the folks that I've assisted personally have gone on to become full time members year after year and are currently in great shape. When someone stands up for another it really takes the edge off for all and makes it that much more pleasant for all. And I can just about guarantee you that the strongest most defined, will be the first to stand up for the rest of the crowd whatever the situation, as well they will be the first to provide encouragement, good technique, offer support or whatever. Don't be shy get in there build your confidence and make an appearance consistently. Become a member, you'll be surprised. :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Ah! Yes, I know that feeling. I've gotten past it for the most part. I have the added bonus of being 54; much older than all the employees, trainers, and most of the clients!

This is the perfect opportunity to quote my favorite little "Don't let 'em get to you" phrase.

Cheryl's 20-40-60 Hypothesis:
    At age 20, you worry about what people think about you.

At age 40, you don't care what people think about you.

At age 60, you realize they weren't even thinking about you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    You'll get over the feeling like everyone is watching you. Then you will realize that no one is really noticing you! One strategy......use a machine in the back row or in the corner. I go to an all-women's gym and feel very comfortable there. My 22 yo daughter uses a co-ed gym because she feels that women are too critical of each other and she felt more "exposed" at the women's gym! The most important thing is that we are GOING! If you have options for multiple gyms in your area or near work, check them out until you find the right fit.
  • amandastamey
    Options
    :smooched:
  • Blusweetgirl
    Options
    I have a suggestion... try switching gyms. I work for a YMCA and it's much more like a community center there. We are a gym, but the feeling is more like a community center. There are a lot of families who come in and workout together... it's much less of a "meat market" then your typical big name gym. We get so many comments from our members about how they feel much more comfortable working out at our Y than any of the other gyms they've been to. So maybe try a gym that's not a name brand-type gym.

The Y i work for is also pretty small so it's never very busy, right now it's January and everyone is making resolutions to lose weight, but once February hits it will slow back down again. Usually there are no more than 10 or so people in the gym at one time... even at our busiest! So you could try to find a new gym that is smaller so you won't feel like you're on display or anything.

But no matter what you do, don't give up. I know it may feel nerve racking to step in to the gym but the truth of the matter is, is that they are all there for the same reason you are... to achieve their fitness goals! And I bet most of the regulars at your gym felt nervous and out of place when they first started going too!
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I go to Gold's Gym and they do have a separate area for women only. When I began there last year I used this spot often, but later felt too confined. Many of us feel the same as you do, which should tell you something. Most of the women at your gym are feeling the same as you. One thing that I do to sort of over come that feeling is I use a MP3 player. For me there is something about having ear phones in and being able to drown out everything around me and concentrate on the task at hand. And everyone is right January is the worst month but gets better by Feb and by March is back to normal. The only thoughts that go through my head about other people at the gym is noticing the ones who are dedicated.

No worries ok...just jump right in.