Too many people at the gym!

Options
2»

Replies

• SkyDuchess
    SkyDuchess Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too do not like to work out when the gym is packed. Today I will venture into the land of matching workout gear and the skinny PTA Moms with nothing to do in the morning but drape themselves over the treadmill and chat. MOVE OUTTA THE WAY. Some of us have work to do.

I try to find the same machine and tune the world out. Thank the STARS for I-POD Heaven.

Good Luck.

You can do this. ( You will have to tell me this too from time to time )

Skye
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way, I am not there to impress anyone, I do not know these people and probably never will, I put on my head phones and am in my own world. If you are going to a gym that's more of a fashion show, then I would consider going somewhere else. I go to the community center gym, great equipment and people of all shapes, sizes and ages.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Have you tried finding a woman's only gym? Maybe you won't feel like you do when the gym is packed. I know I rather work out alone or with a few people too but I don't mind it when there are other ladies around.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I belong to a woman's only gym and its great. I know I feel a lot more comfortable. There are woman working out and they will just take off their shirts and finish in their sport bras because they are too hot. Who cares right?
    There are women that are over 300lbs, super skinny chippies, a few disabled and we even have a blind member and her guide dog. When I start getting tired on the crosstrainers, if I find a skinny chippie and think I want a butt like hers - its very motivational to continue my workout. Or to be honest, a larger woman - if she can do it, so can I.
    There has been the occaisional time you will overhear someone making a comment, but its only out of pure jealousy. My experience is that it is the larger woman commenting on anothers outfit and how skimpy it is. Fact is they work hard for their bodies so why not wear something that is cool and comfortable to work out in? They are not showing themselves off for the other women in the crowd!
    Besides, wouldn't weall wear short shorts if we could? :wink:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I know i am so envious of others who can wear shorts. Even if I were skinny, I am really short and I dont have long limbs. I have these tiny stubby short legs. eheheh
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Ok...you just have to go for it. If I can go in there and attempt to run..(boob floppy, butt jiggling and underwear riding) there is no reason you can't. Most of the people don't even see you. They are busy checking themselves out in the mirrors or showing off their guns. Don't let them stop you for getting in there and taking charge.
    Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • mildrede40
    Options
    Ah! Yes, I know that feeling. I've gotten past it for the most part. I have the added bonus of being 54; much older than all the employees, trainers, and most of the clients!

This is the perfect opportunity to quote my favorite little "Don't let 'em get to you" phrase.

Cheryl's 20-40-60 Hypothesis:
    At age 20, you worry about what people think about you.

At age 40, you don't care what people think about you.

At age 60, you realize they weren't even thinking about you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mildrede40
    Options
    Ah! Yes, I know that feeling. I've gotten past it for the most part. I have the added bonus of being 54; much older than all the employees, trainers, and most of the clients!

This is the perfect opportunity to quote my favorite little "Don't let 'em get to you" phrase.

Cheryl's 20-40-60 Hypothesis:
    At age 20, you worry about what people think about you.

At age 40, you don't care what people think about you.

At age 60, you realize they weren't even thinking about you.
    :flowerforyou:
    This so true statment:blushing:
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel comforted that so many people feel the way I do about the gym. I live in a college town with lots of thin girls who wear the shorts with writing on their bottoms. I can't help but be envious, particularly when i catch my boyfriend looking at them.

Sometimes I even don't go because I'm worried about seeing coworkers there (we live in a tiny place).

I guess I should just turn that into energy to work harder and not let insecurities outweigh the positives. Afterall, I always feel great when i'm finished.

What are the tricks to sticking to it do you think?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I feel comforted that so many people feel the way I do about the gym. I live in a college town with lots of thin girls who wear the shorts with writing on their bottoms. I can't help but be envious, particularly when i catch my boyfriend looking at them.

Sometimes I even don't go because I'm worried about seeing coworkers there (we live in a tiny place).

I guess I should just turn that into energy to work harder and not let insecurities outweigh the positives. Afterall, I always feel great when i'm finished.

What are the tricks to sticking to it do you think?

I am INSPIRED by people at the gym. Just flip your thinking. "I want to look like THEM." I want to be at their fitness level - level 6 on the Interval programs - 10% incline at 4.2 mph on the treadmill, etc. When I see others doing things, it gives me ideas, and makes me push myself! Oh, great idea, I'm going to do sitting crunches while on the recumbent bike. Oh, great idea, I'm going to go back and forth between the treadmill and the rowing machine, 5 minutes each for an hour. Oh, great idea, circuit training - - - or whatever you see them do. Ask them questions - - they are usually flattered that someone wants to talk to them. We are all sooo isolated. Make friends at the gym: get a workout buddy that will give you incentive and accountablilty.

I have a friend that is 260 and 5 foot 3. She goes to the pool in Vegas - and when we were there and I was feeling self-conscious about my weight, she said, "Hey, I figure I can lay by the pool just as well as the skinny girls: they aren't going to ruin my love for the water!" and off we went. I LOVE her for that.

Cheryl
  • joanne123
    Options
    Yes I sometimes feel really bad on the way in and mostly would prefer to be invisible, however as people say here, everyone's really only interested in what they are doing and feeling - and just wait till the way out... I always feel SO..O..O..O..O good! I am sure I walk out taller, with a big smile and really pleased with myself. Since I've joined this site I think 'rush home you can click the exercise button and put it on there' Good luck :smile: