speling

Options
I took Honors English courses in high school (totally showing off right now) and perhaps that is why I'm anal (ehem) about spelling things right - and when I'm not sure, I look it up.

But my gawd, so meny pepol mispel wurdz on these formus! They cant all honistly think taht their speling the wurdz rite, rite? Soem pepol wuld agrue that it dosent madder as long as pepol undrestand, but I dont no how pepol get jobz with that level of speling. Pepol shuld get in teh habbit of profreading what tehy right, becaus, weather they want to admid it or not, speling maiks a huje diferens in how we educadid fokes see u.

End rant.

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You made a typo on the topic title, LOL. But I know what you mean; it really pisses me off too.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I took Honors English courses in high school (totally showing off right now) and perhaps that is why I'm anal (ehem) about spelling things right - and when I'm not sure, I look it up.

But my gawd, so meny pepol mispel wurdz on these formus! They cant all honistly think taht their speling the wurdz rite, rite? Soem pepol wuld agrue that it dosent madder as long as pepol undrestand, but I dont no how pepol get jobz with that level of speling. Pepol shuld get in teh habbit of profreading what tehy right, becaus, weather they want to admid it or not, speling maiks a huje diferens in how we educadid fokes see u.

End rant.

But but but..... isn't it *ahem? :wink:
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Lol I love you Holly. It was intentional :)
    You made a typo on the topic title, LOL. But I know what you mean; it really pisses me off too.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

I think that one was on purpose. :flowerforyou:
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Thank you!! I cringe trying to read these grammatically incorrect, misspelled postings.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i... i can't even read that second paragraph, my eyes are about to die ;_;

i'm pretty accommodating to bad spellers since i type so awfully and often end up saying things online that take people minutes to figure out, but sometimes i just can't take it. i have this one friend who Capitalizes random Words and uses multiple exclamation points!!!!! and it gets on my nerves like ANYTHING.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I cringe trying to read these grammatically incorrect, misspelled postings.

Oh! Were we supposed to read them?
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    r u shore?

som peopls gramar is terible to :laugh:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree - those who think spelling doesn't matter as long as people can understand clearly have no comprehension of how uncomfortable it can be to read terrible spelling.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    One time I misspelled "soccer" as "socker." It's up there with one of my most embarrassing moments.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this topic - something that really gets to me, every time, is when people say 'wouldn't of' instead of 'wouldn't have' Grrrrr! Another is when people say 'one pence.' The singular of pence is penny for Pete's sake!

BTW, one of my favourite Homer Simpson quotes is 'What do I want to learn English for, I'm never going to England!
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    r u shore?

som peopls gramar is terible to :laugh:

lulz :laugh:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    ...spelling things right

Shame you didn't take grammar too....:tongue::laugh:

Seriously though, I hear what you're saying; I'm a copy editor and proofreader, and sometimes I cringe at what passes for spelling and grammar (not just here - everywhere). However, I do understand that not everyone has benefited from a good education, some people may genuinely have special needs, English may not be their native language, and an awful lot simply may not have an aptitude for grammar and spelling. I bet though, that there are areas where they *are* pretty fab...areas I couldn't even contemplate being successful in!

Takes all sorts, and if everyone suddenly learned how to write correctly, I'd be out of a job! :wink:
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    By the way, I understand that saying "I took Honors English..." is not correct. I had a professor who hated the word "took." I'm not THAT obsessed with the English language ;)
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    ...spelling things right

Shame you didn't take grammar too....:tongue::laugh:

Seriously though, I hear what you're saying; I'm a copy editor and proofreader, and sometimes I cringe at what passes for spelling and grammar (not just here - everywhere). However, I do understand that not everyone has benefited from a good education, some people may genuinely have special needs, English may not be their native language, and an awful lot simply may not have an aptitude for grammar and spelling. I bet though, that there are areas where they *are* pretty fab...areas I couldn't even contemplate being successful in!

Takes all sorts, and if everyone suddenly learned how to write correctly, I'd be out of a job! :wink:

Ehem, I mean, "Spelling words correctly". Is that correct? LOL :)
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

AHH. THE PERIOD GOES INSIDE THE QUOTATION MARK. Now I'm just going to keep messing up. Screw it, misspell words all you want, guys! haha :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    although i appreciate that this is an international forum with a variety of people from different countries and educational backgrounds, the crappy spelling makes me want to cry. but spelling mistakes don't irritate me as much as the text talk- that i just don't understand. i sit here like an old person (i'm 32) and have to read it out loud slowly to try and get the slightest hint of what is being talked about.
    however, poor spelling and grammar are annoying too.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    my spelling yuk at the best of times(my own fault i skived skool)!

but the kids these days don't learn it as they just use spell check on the comps to check thier homework!:explode:

also they don't read much either (after primary school)which is another bad one!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    AHH. THE PERIOD GOES INSIDE THE QUOTATION MARK. Now I'm just going to keep messing up. Screw it, misspell words all you want, guys! haha :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And you have a great sense of humour too! Yay!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    although i appreciate that this is an international forum with a variety of people from different countries and educational backgrounds, the crappy spelling makes me want to cry. but spelling mistakes don't irritate me as much as the text talk- that i just don't understand. i sit here like an old person (i'm 32) and have to read it out loud slowly to try and get the slightest hint of what is being talked about.
    however, poor spelling and grammar are annoying too.

#irony

:wink: :tongue: