speling

Options

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Lol I love you Holly. It was intentional :)
    You made a typo on the topic title, LOL. But I know what you mean; it really pisses me off too.

Haha, whoops! <3
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I took Honors English courses in high school (totally showing off right now) and perhaps that is why I'm anal (ehem) about spelling things right - and when I'm not sure, I look it up.

But my gawd, so meny pepol mispel wurdz on these formus! They cant all honistly think taht their speling the wurdz rite, rite? Soem pepol wuld agrue that it dosent madder as long as pepol undrestand, but I dont no how pepol get jobz with that level of speling. Pepol shuld get in teh habbit of profreading what tehy right, becaus, weather they want to admid it or not, speling maiks a huje diferens in how we educadid fokes see u.

End rant.

YES!

They're = they are. Their = belonging to them. There = not here.

Next week: Rocket Science

:tongue:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly that re-reading is very important.

Spell check is great! However, even spell check and grammar check cannot prevent errors from being published. I recently made a photo album on my computer. Just after I pressed the order button to have a copy of it printed, I noticed at least 4 errors (including igauna spelt 3 different ways!).

For the record: I too had honours English, in addition to earning perfect scores on my SATs and TSWEs. Apparently, these things may help give an indication of one's language ability but do not completely overcome one's laziness.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    One time I misspelled "soccer" as "socker." It's up there with one of my most embarrassing moments.

The correct spelling is "football." ;-)
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I feel sorry for you ! I wish you knew what is important in life ! People have a hard enough time just getting through the day,Open your eyes to the world around you! Compassion for mankind NOW GRADE MY PAPER passing judgement PLEASE GIRL dO YOU EVen know what s happen in our country and spelling is what you your contribution is?
  • goron59
    Options
    I think by "Honors English" you meant "Honours American English?"

Sorry, can't resist :)
  • goron59
    Options
    Oh my! I feel sorry for you ! I wish you knew what is important in life ! People have a hard enough time just getting through the day,Open your eyes to the world around you! Compassion for mankind NOW GRADE MY PAPER passing judgement PLEASE GIRL dO YOU EVen know what s happen in our country and spelling is what you your contribution is?

You worry about your country, but do you even know what's happening in the rest of the world? I wish you knew what is important in life.

Yes, that was meant in a light hearted way, as, I suspect, was the OP's comment.

:)
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One time I misspelled "soccer" as "socker." It's up there with one of my most embarrassing moments.

Yep, you're right ;)

Oh and socker is sugar on Swedish :laugh: Maybe it was your subconscious trying to tell you something :tongue:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid people who weren't educationally as fortunate as you, and therefore might not have been taught proper spelling, maybe another forum would suit you better ^.^
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options

I still remember the time in 6th grade (17 YEARS ago!!) that I misspelled "dollar" as "doller" on a cover sheet for a project. I didn't notice it until they were displayed. Mortifying!!

I'm a grammar geek as well - English Honors classes and UIL Spelling and Vocabulary throughout High School.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely! But also, I'm from Australia and we spell things differently to the US and so I think people are being stupid with half the things they write but then remember that it's correct for them, just not for us.
  • MelC2564
    Options

I don't think she stated anywhere that spelling was the most important national problem in the country....
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

So teh snese of teh senetence is mroe iprmoetnt than the spleilng.

Weird eh?
  • MelC2564
    Options
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

So teh snese of teh senetence is mroe iprmoetnt than the spleilng.

Weird eh?

^^love this
  • PowerEqualsStrengthOverTime
    Options

I don't think she stated anywhere that spelling was the most important national problem in the country....

No kidding! She mentioned forums on this website, not solving the issues with the national economy or getting Congress to play nicely.

As a country we look unbelievably stupid when we can't even master *our own* language!
  • JeninBelgium
    Options

aah, even the BBC occasionally refers to the game as soccer- so you will just need to get over that- besides the correct spelling is voetbal
  • JeninBelgium
    Options
    I think by "Honors English" you meant "Honours American English?"

Sorry, can't resist :)

actually, no- in my case I would probably mean Honours English language literature as we had American Lit but Also Literature from Great Britain, Canada, South Africa and, if I recall corectly, one book from New Zealand
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options

Love it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Ehem, I mean, "Spelling words correctly". Is that correct? LOL :)
    [/quote]

AHH. THE PERIOD GOES INSIDE THE QUOTATION MARK. Now I'm just going to keep messing up. Screw it, misspell words all you want, guys! haha :)
    [/quote]

"Ahem."
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

aah, even the BBC occasionally refers to the game as soccer- so you will just need to get over that- besides the correct spelling is voetbal
    If we really go there, the correct spelling would be "jalkapallo" :wink: :laugh: