smoothie drinkers?!

Options
reneeot
reneeot Posts: 773 Member
I made ate and drank my first smoothie today!!

1 cup of almond milk( unsweetened)
5 strawberries(frozen)
18g of whey protein
10 g of fiber
1/2 banana

A little tart, but those who like tart won't mind. But definitely will make again!!!

Any other recipes for smoothies? I'm looking for different and unique. Also any for veggies!!! Also any ideas for some to add a little bit of chocolate taste?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you add a handful of baby spinach, you will never notice in taste (you will in color - just a warning).

Kale also doesn't add to taste too much --- but if you don't have a really good blender, it could effect texture.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder. Pretty righteous with a tablespoon of peanut butter too! You can throw some spinach in there for extra nutrition, the shake will taste like the fruit you use.
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I will be following this. I just started making somethis week

I put
    1/2 banana
    5 frozen strawberries
    1/4 oj
    6 oz vanilla yogurt (carbmaster)

I want to find different things to put in them. I have heard spinach and peanut butter but I dont know how to go about it.
  • Kristy144
    Options
    I use "Super Advanced Whey Protien" Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor.

1 scoop
    8 oz FF Milk
    1 Banana
    8oz Ice

I also add in strawberries, ff sugar free pudding flavors, etc.
  • akunce
    Options
    I make mine with greek yogurt, bananas, strawberries, raspberries,blueberries and some ice cubes! Delicious and full of antioxidents! Can add whey if you want too!
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder. Pretty righteous with a tablespoon of peanut butter too! You can throw some spinach in there for extra nutrition, the shake will taste like the fruit you use.

Thanks you answered my question.
  • kcswanson
    Options
    To counter the tartness of your smoothie, try 1/2 a cup of crystal light or another zero calorie juice. I like Target's brand of Strawberry Lemonade. Tasty in a smoothie or by itself. Hope this helps! :)
  • curliegirl
    Options
    1 cup water(if you are watching carbs) or apple juice
    1 cup peaches or strawberries or blueberries
    1 scoop whey protein
    1 T flax seed oil
    3-5 drops stevia

Blend & drink! Anytime I have this I am SO full for the whole morning that I don't need a snack! I also use this to replace lunch or supper when I am in a hurry.

When I use blueberries I throw in spinach and it really hides the green color if that bothers you.

Enjoy!
  • teasie0616
    teasie0616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I second the spinach-- you can't taste it at all. I usually have the same smoothie every day and keeps me going until lunch (with a piece of fruit mid-morning). I put in approx.

- 1 cup of blueberries
    - 0.5 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
    - handful of baby spinach
    - tbsp. of flaxseed oil
    - tbsp. of sugar free jam
    - splashes of unsweetened almond milk

It's delcious.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I Love smoothies....I make mine with Spinach, Celery, any kind of frozen or fresh fruit, Fage (greece) 0% all natural yogurt, either coconut water, 1% milk or reg, van or choc Soy milk....YUMMO!! you can't even taste the spinach or celery. I want to add protein powder too just have to buy some soon.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do this one for breakfast or for dinner after a hard evening workout:

4-6 oz. honey greek yogurt (protein)
    2 tbsp milled flax seed (fiber)
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    3/4 cup frozen fruit (or fresh)
    1/2 cup fat-free milk

It's super yummy. Really high in protein so great after a work out. Plus it's really high in fiber so it's really filling.

What nutrients/benefits do the spinach and kale add?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I drink two kinds regularly. One is chocolate soy milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 2 tbls of yogurt and 1/2 a scoop protein powder. the other is frozen strawberries or other berries, white milk, vanilla yogurt, and half scoop of whey powder. i will add honey or artificial sweetener if needed or even diet gingerale.
  • runnermel
    Options
    bump...these are all great! wish I had one right now!!!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I make a smoothie at least 6 times a week. This is one of my favorites....

1/4C frozen blueberrie
    1/4C frozen raspberries
    1/4C Greek yogurt - Honey flavor
    2Tbs Hemp Hearts
    water/ice
    and sometimes 1/4C of V8 instead of water/ice

Yesterday I added celery, it was pretty good. I have used melon, gross....bananas are awesome but they throw my calories/sugar way out of wack.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Here are two of the one's I do:

1 serving protein powder (I use metabolic Reset vanilla flavor - it has fiber in it too )
    1 cup of water (if you have the calories, you can do milk and it's better)
    .5 - 1 cup Frozen fruit - whatevers on sale - this week was peaches and cherries
    1.5 handfuls of baby spinach
    2 TBS of milled flax seed

Another one:

1 cup SO Delicious coconut milk
    4 TBS Hemp Protein (this is a lot different tasting then protein powders, and I like better, but all personal taste - some HATE it)
    handful of spinach

And yet another.....

2 cups Kale
    1/2 banana
    apple
    water - enough to get the right consistency
    ice
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options

1/4C frozen blueberrie
    1/4C frozen raspberries
    2Tbs Hemp Hearts
    water/ice

Yesterday I added celery, it was pretty good. I have used melon, gross....bananas are awesome but they throw my calories/sugar way out of wack.

Hemp Hearts? New to me, I'll look it up! Are they expensive?
  • healthy_skinny_witch
    Options
    1 cup orange juice
    1 apple
    5 frozen strawberries
    1 celery
    5 nuts
    1/2 tea spoon of matcha tea or yerba mate tea
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you add a handful of baby spinach, you will never notice in taste (you will in color - just a warning).

Kale also doesn't add to taste too much --- but if you don't have a really good blender, it could effect texture.

I most definitely notice the taste of spinach in my smoothies.

I will never understand how people don't. Maybe if you always added it, you're used to it. But it's NOT tasteless.

It doesn't so much taste bad as it just makes the rest of the smoothie less sweet and you can't taste the other ingredients as much.

I eat my spinach other ways now and just have fruit, ice and chocolate peanut butter in my smoothies. :-)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options

1/4C frozen blueberrie
    1/4C frozen raspberries
    2Tbs Hemp Hearts
    water/ice

Hemp Hearts? New to me, I'll look it up! Are they expensive?

I got mine at a natural food store, but I think you can get them at costco. I usually spend 12$/month on them.
  • mamax04
    mamax04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump