25% of all women...................... Seriously???

Options
While listening to the radio this morning I learned that 25% of all women regularly purchase clothes that are too small for them.....

The 2 biggest reasons why were: Self esteem booster and because they were too embarrased to buy their actual size

I cant understand the self esteem booster because there is NOTHING that makes me feel worse about myself than having to CRAM myself into something that doesnt fit! And if you cant fit into it at all and have to stare at it in your closet with the tags on- I feel even worse yet! Not to mention having to wear something all day that is uncomfortable- NO THNAKS!

Now for the "too embarrased" part.. I am sure that every salesperson out there has seen a bigger size than what your buying. Not to mention, buying a smaller size does not make you LOOK like you would fit into it?? I dont understand why you would feel the need to buy something at all if you cant wear it??

I do understand buying something smalled because your losing weight (currently) and will fit into it shortly...... thats a different story.

Thats a large number of unhappy women............. All I have to say is WOW.

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Haha, not me! I hate having to feel like I'm cramming myself into something that doesn't fit. Plus, it's really unattractive to see a bigger girl wearing clothes that are OBVIOUSLY too small for her.
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    I use to work part-time in retail during college and it happens all the time. They think they will lose the weight and fit into it. I think it is crazy. Buy what fits and then if you lose weight get it altered. I mean it is cool if you buy one thing and it is your motivation to fit into it.... like that lady with the green dress... highly motivating.... but for everyday clothes... you just have to thank them for supporting the economy!
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    That is weird! I certainly would not buy clothes that are too small for me. I buy clothes so I can wear them therefore they must fit me.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am not one of them! I dont even like my cloths skin tight... I like them to fit comfortable and fit properly. :)
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have accidentally bought clothes that are too small for me.. then I take them back to find something that *fits*. I mean, surely the point of clothes is to wear them?
  • MercKlebba
    MercKlebba Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would have never guessed.

No matter what the size, a proper fitting garment makes anyone look better than something that is too small for them.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    That's probably me because I eyeball my clothes most of the time. But usually it fits!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that's just... dumb.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    *waiting for one of the 25% to chime in*
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have a whole news wardrobe of work clothes which have never been worn because I was between sizes and bought the smaller option thinking I'd slim into them.

Never did.

I'm going to now though, almost there! Yay me!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've totally done it before! In my head, if I could squeeze into the size 5, then I was a size 5. Not true, of course, but at the time, I thought it made sense!! Now I know better. :laugh:
  • paintitblack
    Options
    I see a lot of women wearing jeans / t shirts too small for them and it is NOT flattering. It can make perfectly healthy women appear to be overweight. I really don't get it either!

I tried on a pair of jeans that were too small the other day and I thought it was the most heartbreaking feeling ever not being able to do up the button without a fight. I went back and bought a size larger! (I'm hovering between sizes so this often happens when, depending on the shop, the smaller size either fit comfortably or result in an almighty squeeze!)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    this is really strange; i buy clothes that i can wear. if folks are that ashamed maybe they need to shop at a plus size store. i can't stand to see ppl put on a 12 knowing they need a 14 or bigger. that's like buy a size 6 shoes knowing darn well you wear a 10- lol
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I buy bras that are too small quite often, but my clothes I usually pick up a size too big. Shoes too. Its very annoying.
  • siouxzq4
    siouxzq4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I feel AWFUL when my clothes are too tight. Physically AND mentally. I just feel HUGE all day long. I just stick to my size. After all...the tag is not on the outside! And as for the 25%...it's MUCH higher than that! =-)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought anything too small, but I will admit to not buying anything if I'm ashamed of the size. :embarassed:
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I have a lot of tagged clothes in my waredrobe that i can't fit in to but that is only because i've brought it and not tried it on until I got home...and then couldn't be bothered to take them back!!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    That's just silly nonsensical nonsense - I like to be able to breath
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I would have never guessed. No matter what the size, a proper fitting garment makes anyone look better than something that is too small for them.

cute tatt!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I guess this could be a twist on words.. maybe they're buying clothes that don't actually fit well.. therefore are too small.. i.e. wearing tight jeans (i'm guilty of that one - although mine are 'superskinny' so thats what they are..shame I'm not)! lol