iphone or android?

Options
Heyy guys

It's time to get a new phone and I am stuck on weather or not I should get the iphone 4 or the nexus s. I know iphone has the best apps and android the second best. They both take good pictures which I like in a phone. I do like the look of the iphone better but I am very wary of their customer service. I hear Apple are a bunch of a-holes. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have an android or an iphone??
What do you think of it's quality??
Known issues??
If you have an iphone how has their customer care treated you??

And anything else you think is important for me to know.

Thank you all :)

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    iphone :)

the only problem i have with it is im always using it. i mean non-friggin-stop, thanks to my unlimited data plan i got for free :)

edit: i've never had to call apple for any reason
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm in IT. I have an iPhone 4 and love it. Only problem is that it has a tendency of dropping calls AT&T and when using speaker phone it can sometimes not be so clear. I use Droids on a daily basis as well and althought they are very solid phones they don't have the Apple appeal in the OS. They do however handle calls better and have more features than iPhone.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    im going to say iphone because they just look the best and can get loads of stuff on it!
    i hope i get one for my birthday..
    and dont drop it down the toilet like my friend did... lol
    i was like "you cant be dropping iphones down the toilet" !
    :D
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I have an iPhone. I love it! I haven't really had to speak to customer service at Apple. So I have no idea about them. AT&T customer service is good though. I have only had to speak to them once. I have had my phone for over a year and haven't had any problems with it.
  • maria25428
    Options
    I have an android and love it..
  • whitehatguywi
    Options
    I have an Android and it's OK, but you may want to wait Iphone 5 is coming out in about a month or two
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite.. .droid all the way. More apps, more free stuff and the ability to customize almost everything... I've had an iphone 4... and right now im using a Sony X10.. looking to get another newer droid. Both are almost the same.. but you could go either way.... :)
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Andoid, hands down. Although I would go with an HTC model before any other.
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    I have a android, I love it would never switch to a iphone.

It is just more customizable, the app market is about equal in quality apps. I like the ability to make my phone the way I want, not the way Apple wants it...

Call quality is good, no real problems. I am going to upgrade later this month and pick up the Droid Bionic.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do you have an android or an iphone??
    -- iPhone 4

What do you think of it's quality??
    -- Love it. I was a blackberry girl before and didn't want to get the iPhone but got bored one day and wanted apps so I picked one up and haven't looked back. Easy to use and great for email. My main uses is work email, calendar, text, and phone calls. Don't actually use the apps except for MFP. I have a 40 dollar cover on my phone and highly suggest spending the money and getting a nice cover. I am sure it has saved my phone countless times.

Known issues??
    -- as with any phone sometimes it freezes or I don't receive calls.

If you have an iphone how has their customer care treated you??
    --well if you have an issue with the phone you go to Apple but if you have cell service issues I deal with AT&T. AT&T has been ok. I pay 140 a month for unlimited everything. Apple was really good with their customer service. I dropped my phone in the toilet and went in and told them I had left it on the counter at a party and it stopped working. The guy took a big whiff of it and said it smelled like 151 and someone must have spilled alcohol in it. LOL!! I was dying inside that he was smelling my phone that had been soaked with pee just 12 hours prior. They ended replacing the phone for free. :D
  • gponter79
    gponter79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET AN IPHONE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? because they are amazing and iPhone 5 (and rumoured a 4s) will be available by October. Hold your horses and then become the coolest chic in town,
  • abeachlady
    Options
    iPhone. Easier to use. Apple people have always treated me nicely and solved any problem I had.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    iPhone! I couldn't live without mine. I've used other smartphones, but they don't compare.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a galaxy s2 and love it. the camera is excellent and android has more than enough apps
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You should wait either way. The iphone 5 is coming out this fall and Android has some new phone coming out too that rival the iphone.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the Droid Incredible and I love it. I have never had an iPhone but would like to get one once Verizon goes to the 4G network with theirs.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have both. Android for person use, and an iPhone for work.

Android - Cheaper app and Amazon gives a free "paid app" away every day. I have an HTC Evo shift and my wife has HTC Evo without the keyboard. I like the interface a lot. Some of the apps are not as well tested as the ones fro iPhone. I have had a few crash the phone. READ THE REVIEWS! You'll know right away if the app is good or not.

iPhone - more apps, but most are aviable for the Android. The iPhone uses iTunes which the whole world is using, so the music good. I think it has a better camera. I have an Apple store, so they always do fine by me.

For music and pics, I would chose the iPhone. For everything else I like the EVO better. And I got mine for $50 at Sprint!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a Nexus One (the predecessor phone to the Nexus S). My wife has an iPhone 4. I think you cannot go wrong either way.

I would say this: If you just want the nice experience and ease of use, go with the iPhone. It is solid and snappy. It always works.

Android is a great OS, but it is a little less perfect than iOS. But, if you want to hack the phone and unlock its full capabilities, you should go Android. In my case, I like to be able to use applications that are either not available for iPhone or have not been through the approval process. Android allows you to "sideload" applications instead of being stuck on what is approved.

As far as support, Apple's support is great. I base this on my own experience and on that of my friends and family. I am a Mac user of almost 25 years.
  • Vexedx10
    Vexedx10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tested both for my company. Here are my notes I used:

Android Notes (Cost: Free - $249, most likely option $149):

Pros:
    • Very customizable
    • Google Maps turn by turn navigation
    • Physical Keyboard available
    • High Quality Camera
    • HD Video Capture
    • Note to Self (voice to text to an e-mail to a user setup gmail account)
    • Voice commands (search, notes, typing)
    • Swype input (drag your finger across the letters, the phone recognizes the pattern as a word)

Cons:
    • Not all that intuitive at first
    • Have to setup any notification you want besides phone (i.e. calendar, text messaging), possible pro?
    • Must move all icons to home screen (i.e. mail, calendar, text messaging)
    • Battery life 1 day for casual use
    • Biggest Device

iPhone Notes (Cost $199.99 - $299.99):

Pros:
    • Battery Life (2nd best),pretty good close to blackberry
    • Simple layout
    • Display
    • Superior Multi-touch Keyboard works better than DroidX
    • Very Intuitive (DPP already has iPad and hasn’t had any issues)
    • App Store (apps thoroughly tested)
    • Plexus has mentioned supporting Apple devices.

Cons:
    • Requires iTunes for initial setup (this is being addressed in iOS 5)
    • Apple provides support (good or bad?, industry support leader)
    • Daylight savings bug (when time changes you have to remember to turn off/on your phone)
    • Notification system, you can be alerted to each new message with sound or vibration but if you don’t have this on it’s hard to tell if you have a new e-mail. (this is being addressed in iOS 5)
    • No default reminder time on calendar events.
    • Can’t snooze calendar events

FYI - We use verizon, I ended up choosing the iPhone because better hardware, fit and finish, better camera, size and superior battery life, it's also the best MP3 player out of the box.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Android.

If you are going to get a phone, its important to look at an operating system. With iPhones, you have to jail break and do all sorts of crap to change something. However, Android was pretty much made to be changed and utilized.

In addition, BOTH people I've worked with have a SERIOUS problem with Outlook and iPhone syncing properly. So, if you use Outlook at work, expect to have problems. I've been on the phone with Apple Customer Service a million times.

I was down to a similar decision and I couldn't be happier with the Android.