iphone or android?

Options

Replies

• Emma422
    Emma422 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have an evo and all my friends who have the iphone 4 prefer my phone. they like that it is easier to personalize and the clarity on the camera. Android all the way .plus the service is much better. the iphone is on its way out more and more people are getting android phones. come to the droid side , we get service :)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    PS: There is a new Samsung Droid that is supposed to be coming out by October that doesn't use a back light....IE the battery time with be 75% better...Something to keep in mind, as the Droid battery life is a little rough...My friend had a tester version and loved it.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Andoid, hands down. Although I would go with an HTC model before any other.

Yup, agree 100%. After HTC, then Nexus. Nexus line is pure bred Android.
  • I'm the opposite.. .droid all the way. More apps, more free stuff and the ability to customize almost everything... I've had an iphone 4... and right now im using a Sony X10.. looking to get another newer droid. Both are almost the same.. but you could go either way.... :)

Me too, I have a htc phone, and it's great - not so chunky as an iPhone, which is perfect for fitting into tiny pockets, it's got no end of apps, and it's the best phone I have ever had. Absolutely no disappointments at all. It's great.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I have both. Android for person use, and an iPhone for work.

Me too!

Can't really go wrong with either. Apple does charge for most of the same apps you can get for free on the Droid. There are also the free daily apps from Amazon.

If I had to rate them, it'd go like this...

Rooted Android > iPhone 4 > Stock Android
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I have an android and I LOVE IT! It's with At&t and it is called the HTC Inspire. I have never used an iPhone myself, so I can only go off of what I hear. I have a lot of friends who use the iPhone and none of them have said anything good about it.

Is it true that you can't carry insurance on an iPhone? So if you have a problem with the phone you have to send it off to an Apple store? Unless you live near an Apple store or near a place that refurbishes phones. That would totally suck. I have always heard that if you drop the iPhone they easily break because they aren't made very well. Is it also true that the entire back of the phone is the battery? That's just crazy to me. (These are just things I have heard and the reasons why I would NEVER get that phone)

I love this phone I have now. The android market is pretty sweet. It has a ton of FREE apps that are actually pretty sweet! I can carry insurance on my phone and take it directly to my At&t store. I don't have to worry about dealing with Apple. This particular phone also has a sweet MP3 player.

Wherever you're purchasing your phone just tell them the two phones your thinking about and ask them to let you demo the phone!! It'll help you make your decision. But I would say...GO ANDROID!! :)
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    No idea where you heard that about Apple, that's ridiculous! They are continually rated as one of the top companies to work for, and the top customer service. You can schedule an appointment for FREE to see an Apple Genius at any time for any questions or issues about any Apple product.

If it breaks, you don't have to "send it off" to the store, you make a one on one free appointment, usually same day, and they'll fix your phone. If it's out of warranty, they still often fix it for free.

You don't have to "jailbreak" a phone to use email, the setup is super easy, and if you buy your phone in an Apple store, they'll do it right there for you.

The photo, video, email, music etc on the iPhone is great, and I only have about 2 or 3 apps out of about 100 that I've ever paid for. The free apps are fine.

I'm sure the droid is fine too, just wanted to clear up myths about Apple. My kids and I all have iPhones, and have never run into any issues, we love them.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET AN IPHONE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? because they are amazing and iPhone 5 (and rumoured a 4s) will be available by October. Hold your horses and then become the coolest chic in town,

I think he meant "get an iphone 4" lol instead of "don't"

apple lover here.
  • kmorrison21
    kmorrison21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I. Phone. !!!!!

But really there are some cons to either situation.

I had an iPhone, switched because AT&T are in face, bloodsucking, greedy, shady jerks. (just sayin', extra fees they just make up and add that dont even make any sense.. but thats a whole other paragraph.) ;0

the phone itself, I loved, I switched because at the time, AT&T had the monoploy on the iPhone service. Now it's a tradeoff, (tll Octoober at least), and I love Sprint service, but the Droid sucks and about 100 times a day i have to fight the urge to throw it against a wall. Constant crashes, freezes, having to kill tasks. It has some cool features, but yeah, suffice to say the very moment Sprint has the iphone available in October, I will be getting one.

i will say, by the way, mine is a Samsung Intercept. It's possible that they have better phones, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the same issues with Androids.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I tested both for my company. Here are my notes I used:

Android Notes (Cost: Free - $249, most likely option $149):

Pros:
    • Very customizable
    • Google Maps turn by turn navigation
    • Physical Keyboard available
    • High Quality Camera
    • HD Video Capture
    • Note to Self (voice to text to an e-mail to a user setup gmail account)
    • Voice commands (search, notes, typing)
    • Swype input (drag your finger across the letters, the phone recognizes the pattern as a word)

Cons:
    • Not all that intuitive at first
    • Have to setup any notification you want besides phone (i.e. calendar, text messaging), possible pro?
    • Must move all icons to home screen (i.e. mail, calendar, text messaging)
    • Battery life 1 day for casual use
    • Biggest Device

iPhone Notes (Cost $199.99 - $299.99):

Pros:
    • Battery Life (2nd best),pretty good close to blackberry
    • Simple layout
    • Display
    • Superior Multi-touch Keyboard works better than DroidX
    • Very Intuitive (DPP already has iPad and hasn’t had any issues)
    • App Store (apps thoroughly tested)
    • Plexus has mentioned supporting Apple devices.

Cons:
    • Requires iTunes for initial setup (this is being addressed in iOS 5)
    • Apple provides support (good or bad?, industry support leader)
    • Daylight savings bug (when time changes you have to remember to turn off/on your phone)
    • Notification system, you can be alerted to each new message with sound or vibration but if you don’t have this on it’s hard to tell if you have a new e-mail. (this is being addressed in iOS 5)
    • No default reminder time on calendar events.
    • Can’t snooze calendar events

FYI - We use verizon, I ended up choosing the iPhone because better hardware, fit and finish, better camera, size and superior battery life, it's also the best MP3 player out of the box.

See, you are comparing a Droid(X) to an iPhone, not the Android OS to an iPhone. There is a pretty big difference. A lot of people fail to realize that Android is on MULTIPLE phones and a lot of those "cons" can be fixed within minutes or buying a different Android phone.

I used to like iOS (iPhone) but Apple just has that hold on the operating system. I never understood people who use iPhones for business. You can hardly develop any real business apps for iPhone. When I would try to develop for iOS, there were so many restrictions that you could never develop anything useful of businesses. Unless it's changed, and i'm pretty sure, you can't connect to an exchange server which is one example.

Android is open source which means there really is no restrictions on what you can do. Also, Android has made leaps and bounds since it first came out. Android is also dominating the market while Apple just slowly puts out over-priced equipment. The only advantage that the iPhone 5 will have over any phone is the dual GPU. But I'm willing to bet not many people play a whole lot of 3D games.

Android is by far the more superior product. Just for some reason, people like shiny objects over functionality.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    DON'T GET AN IPHONE 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? because they are amazing and iPhone 5 (and rumoured a 4s) will be available by October. Hold your horses and then become the coolest chic in town,

I think he meant "get an iphone 4" lol instead of "don't"

apple lover here.

No he meant don't get an iphone4 but wait for iPhone 5. Exactly what he wrote
  • georgiag111
    Options
    I have a android, I love it would never switch to a iphone.

It is just more customizable, the app market is about equal in quality apps. I like the ability to make my phone the way I want, not the way Apple wants it...

Call quality is good, no real problems. I am going to upgrade later this month and pick up the Droid Bionic.

all this. .Droid and going Bionic
  • kmorrison21
    kmorrison21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Insurance: and for those talking about the insurance earlier, I don't know if you can through Apple, but through a regular insurance company, like State Farm, I insured my iphone for like 4 bucks a month or something, and it covered it even if it was stolen.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    in canada (at least in ontario) you can get insurance for your iphone through the carrier. i think its 70$ through bell FYI megan
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    If it breaks, you don't have to "send it off" to the store, you make a one on one free appointment, usually same day, and they'll fix your phone.

I referred to it as "send it off" because I live in a very small town and there is no Apple store around here. Closest one is over 100 miles away.
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love my Android X2!!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I. Phone. !!!!!

But really there are some cons to either situation.

I had an iPhone, switched because AT&T are in face, bloodsucking, greedy, shady jerks. (just sayin', extra fees they just make up and add that dont even make any sense.. but thats a whole other paragraph.) ;0

the phone itself, I loved, I switched because at the time, AT&T had the monoploy on the iPhone service. Now it's a tradeoff, (tll Octoober at least), and I love Sprint service, but the Droid sucks and about 100 times a day i have to fight the urge to throw it against a wall. Constant crashes, freezes, having to kill tasks. It has some cool features, but yeah, suffice to say the very moment Sprint has the iphone available in October, I will be getting one.

i will say, by the way, mine is a Samsung Intercept. It's possible that they have better phones, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the same issues with Androids.

Another good argument that I'd like to point out.

iOS (Apple), Android (Google), QNX/BB (RIM), Symbian (Nokia), WP7 (Microsoft), webOS (HP), ect...

These are all operating systems! Just like Windows, OSX, Linux, ect...

iOS, just like OSX is only made by Apple in Apple products. Which is great if you want to pay for an over-priced OS that has barely any real functionality and you only have it for some mystical status symbol.

Android is made by Google. Now, Google made Android open source which means any manufacturer can put it on their phone. Imagine this like Windows for computers. Everybody knows there are many types on Windows computers you can buy with different levels of performance, looks, ect...

Same goes with Android. There are so many handsets out there that pretty much tailor to anybody's needs. Just nobody bothers looking and see the shiny iPhone and buy it.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Do you want to **** around with your phone, or do you want a phone that just works?
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Team Droid :glasses:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am a big Android fan and google fan. I have used an android based phone since they first came out, motorola and htc phones. I don't like being under Apple's choke-hold. I think I would stay away from nexus though.

Android is open-source and can be used by multiple phone manufacturers. Find the Android phone that is best featured for you and tailored to your needs and I guarantee you can love Android system. I am currently using the HTC Incredible 2 and really like it. I have had the original Moto Droid, the Droid2, HTC Incredible, and tried Moto Droid 3 but switched to the Incredible 2.

If you are contemplating an iPhone you should definitely wait till Oct/Nov. The iPhone 5 is rumored to release this fall. If it were me, I would wait for the iPhone 5. This is what my wife is doing, she is eligible to upgrade and wants to try an iPhone but I convinced her to wait till iPhone 5 is released this fall.