Is 4.5 mph a very, very brisk walk for you?

Options
1235»

Replies

• dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My normal walking pace is 4mph, and my comfortable jog is 5. I'm 5'4.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Oishii, I'm not convinced either way, but another way to look at it is to consider the speed at which your feet move. Both tall and short people have to move their feet at the same speed to walk at the same pace.

This statement is untrue... Stride make a huge difference in the amount of area covered in the same amount of time. Longer legs are not moving at the same rate as shorter legs.

Ther are alot mor varibles than this. Assuming equal speed. Longer legs are easier than shorter, because less steps are required and the upward motion of each step is alot of the energy burn. Then you have to account in the weight of what you are moving. Assuming equal weight for the leg. A tall person with thin legs has less to move than a short person with thick legs.

In the end, each person is different and the variables are endless. I have a hard time walking above 4.2 but can run a 20 ish minute 5k or a sub 50 minute 10k. When I run, I have bounce which increases my stride length, because my feet arent on the ground at all.
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ok, now I feel unfit.. My fast walk is 3 mph at best :(

You are telling me sister. I do a 2.8 to a 3.2
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Oishii, I'm not convinced either way, but another way to look at it is to consider the speed at which your feet move. Both tall and short people have to move their feet at the same speed to walk at the same pace.

This statement is untrue... Stride make a huge difference in the amount of area covered in the same amount of time. Longer legs are not moving at the same rate as shorter legs.

Ther are alot mor varibles than this. Assuming equal speed. Longer legs are easier than shorter, because less steps are required and the upward motion of each step is alot of the energy burn. Then you have to account in the weight of what you are moving. Assuming equal weight for the leg. A tall person with thin legs has less to move than a short person with thick legs.

In the end, each person is different and the variables are endless. I have a hard time walking above 4.2 but can run a 20 ish minute 5k or a sub 50 minute 10k. When I run, I have bounce which increases my stride length, because my feet arent on the ground at all.

Yes and I do understand the variables I was simplifying it on the basics of a stride when comparing a walk to a jog/run. Longer legs gives to a longer stride. A longer stride does not move at the same rate as a shorter stride when covering the same distance in the same time (mph). I do know that each persons stride is different regardless of height. Those variables don't really play into the OP's statement.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    I am not a runner. Serious walking is how I lost my weight (along with watching calories).
    I am 5' 5" and I have short little legs, but when I go on my long power walks, 4.0-4.5 mph is about average for me. Sometimes I even do 5.0!
    But I didn't start out that fast. When I started hitting the gym, I would do up to 3.5 on the treadmill and when I wanted to push myself, I would fluxuate between 3.8-4 mph. After I got more comfortable walking, I would push myself a little more each time. Now 4.5 is a normal walking pace for me on the treadmill.
    Even if I'm not exercising and I'm just walking down the street like normal....I still zoom past everyone because I've gotten so used to walking fast, lol!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Timed myself a while back with a gps app, and my average walk is 4 mph. Fast walking is about 4.3-ish, and 4.5 is pretty brisk. I'm 5'9", and my husband always complains that I walk too fast, but it doesn't feel as fast as it really is.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I am 5'4'' and 4.5 miles an hour is a brisk walk, though comfortable. I don't think I have particularly long legs for my height, either, but I am also a runner, so maybe that is why 4.5 is a much more comfortable walk for me than some others my height or taller.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I hate you all. I run at around 6-6.5K (approx 4 miles/hr), walk 5.5K and am 5'9".

:sad:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph for me is pretty much a "forced march" for me... It is very brisk... I don't usually break over into a run until about 5 mph. Then again, I am a tall torso 6'3" man (32" inseam... not real long legs)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5 with long legs and 4.5 is a brisk walk for me. minimum jog speed is 5.0