Ounces in a chicken breast

Options
13»

Replies

• MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You could also purchase Purdue Perfect Portions, they separate each portion out to be the same size. They are admittedly a little more pricey though.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The one's we get tend to be close to 8 ounces, more or less a couple ounces. We eat one boneless skinless piece (one side of a breast) as a meal for the two of us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't want to belabor the point, but that's the problem. If I have a chicken that weighs 10oz with the bone, neither MFP nor the package indicate if the weights they are giving also include the bone, or do I have to subtract the bone weight prior to entering. Or maybe bones aren't that heavy and I'm splitting hairs.

Personally, I'd just log it as 8 oz knowing that's probably what it is give or take...given this is all estimates, I do what I can, but I don't obsess about getting it down to the calorie...never going to happen. You could also just log it as 10oz and be pretty confident that you overestimated.

You could also weigh the bone afterwards, but I'm just not that OCD about it when I'm weighing stuff out. The only thing I get really, legit anal about is stuff like nuts, oils, etc...really calorie dense stuff where an extra ounce is like 100+ calories.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    OMG...you need a food scale..I think this is one of the BIG reasons that people don't understand why they are not losing weight..if you don't weight your proteins, ect..you could be off by 200 cals or so..that times seven is 1400 cals...hence no weight loss or not much. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond...gotta go digital my friend...it was $20..Biggest Loser scale.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, NM. Doubt the OP is coming back to a 2 year old post to read my food scale recommendations. :huh:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Seeing as this thread is about 2 years old, I'm sure the OP has figured this out.

But if anyone else is struggling with food weights...etc, I just bought this food scale today. It has great reviews and it's def a great investment. This way, there will be no more guess work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EUPMFK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't want to belabor the point, but that's the problem. If I have a chicken that weighs 10oz with the bone, neither MFP nor the package indicate if the weights they are giving also include the bone, or do I have to subtract the bone weight prior to entering. Or maybe bones aren't that heavy and I'm splitting hairs.
    Portion size is for the edible portion only. You don't eat the bone, the bone is not included in the nutritional information.

^^^ This
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Seeing as this thread is about 2 years old, I'm sure the OP has figured this out.

But if anyone else is struggling with food weights...etc, I just bought this food scale today. It has great reviews and it's def a great investment. This way, there will be no more guess work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EUPMFK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HAHAHAHAHA I didn't even notice when this thread got started. That's hilarious. Poor girl is probably thinking "WTH are you people bugging me for". LOL
  • amwanner
    amwanner Posts: 1
    Options
    A deck of cards is equivalent to 3oz.. That's how I judge quickly!
  • atlchica
    atlchica Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to make sure you are weighing COOKED food not raw. Average chicken breast cooked is around 6 oz. Get a scale. Its just a few dollars at Walmart or around $30.00 for a nice electronic one.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You will have to get a scale! I was shocked one day weighing a chicken breast and it came in over 12oz!! At the very minimum you can eyeball using the deck of cards method. That is about 4oz. It will in no way be as accurate as a scale.

Oh no!! zombie thread! Lol
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The chicken breasts I have bought have been between 4-12 oz. I weigh it all just to be safe.