Do you guys log cleaning on your exercise log?

Options
124»

Replies

• Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes if it is more than ten mins or so because my activity level is set to "sedentary." I use an HRM.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    No, it's not often i break a sweat cleaning!
  • tina2222
    Options
    i dont log mine. My reason being that you were still doping housework and cleaning when you were fat so why would it make a difference now? its part of your normal everyday life. and if it does, it just turns out to be an added bonus when it comes to weigh-in!
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yes, because I don't do it very often.
  • anjulie787
    anjulie787 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    only if i make a REAL effort like making myself sweat doing star jumps in between etc to keep my heart rate around 130 - 140 the whole time. two birds with 1 stone but I suppose housework could already be in your daily expenditure ??? never thought of it that way until now! maybe I will stop logging it?
  • HappyLuna
    Options
    No - even though I am sedentary.

Today - just for kicks - I wore my HRM while doing the floors, baseboards and dealing with my daughter's frightening room. In one hour I burned 78 calories. It clearly doesn't burn what we wish it did.

This ^^^^^

You're just cheating youself if you eat cleaning calories. Its part of everyday life and already accounted for. If cleaning counts as exercise then there should be an option for 'running around after a toddler all day'. But there isn't, because thats life. :laugh:
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I never do, as my activity level isn't set to sedentary. If it were, I would log more things that didn't involve sitting on my keister at home. My opinion if you choose to log them, is to only log them if for more than half an hour, and it's something a little more intensive like, say, mopping, or scrubbing as opposed to just light dusting for example.

Besides, I don't clean often. My wife would attest to that.
    My idea of cleaning is sweeping the room with a glance. :laugh:
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No, because that is my wife's job.

Kidding, she reads this too, I do clean, but don't log it.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No. I was out of shape before coming here and I cleaned every day so I don't think it's something that's going to help me get in shape now.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only on my big clean day. I vacuum the whole house, and mop, and I'm moving really fast the whole time, and work up a real sweat, this takes at least an hour. Then I do the rest of the scrubbing, as a cool down. I usually do this on my 'day off' workout day.

Ven

This^^^

I have a job that sits at a desk all day so I'm set to sedentary. I don't log minor everyday activities like cooking dinner, making the bed etc.

BUT once perweek, usually on Mondays, I spend about 75 minutes and literally clean the whole house. I go up and down stairs at least 20 times. I do each task for the whole house in ten minutes. Sweep or dust mop ALL the hard floors : ten minutes. Mop ten minutes. I'm flying through and by the end I'm sweating like I stole something. So I log it. It isn't a daily activity, it isn't accounted for in my activity level, and it IS aerobic. I count it.

I wouldn't count decluttering because it doesn't require all that much movement.

The housecleaning resource I use is flylady.net. I heartily recommend it, especially if cleaning is not your thing.
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't unless it is a big clean day!
  • lornawalker
    Options
    Yes, because my activity level is "sedentary."

Me too
  • tickletickle
    Options
    i dont because i am "lightly active" so that includes my cleaning and running around after 2 under 2.5yrs.
    Now if i do something that i hardly do like say scrub the bath (grr which i hate) then i would add it as its out of the ordinary day to day activities.

But i could change myself to Inactive and then add cleaning on top to counteract calories - but it would prob work out the same anyway so i figured just not to log it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, because my activity level is "sedentary."

This. But I typically log about half the time because I feel that MFP's burn estimates are high for me.