BMI... How much has yours changed?

Options

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone! :) Whether it's the best form or not it's a great idicator of reduced weight. Can't wait to see overweight and 'normal'!
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Er.. 46.3 when I started, 28.4 currently (using the calculator on WebMD that includes gender/age.)
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    My BMI went from 23 to 18.2....
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I've done some research on BMI and it seems like a poor tool to monitor progress. It doesn't factor in muscle mass, for one, so many athletes index in the 'overweight' range. I know of a few people who stopped exercising for a few months due to injuries, saw their quads shrivel up and then were congratulated by their doctors for reaching their goal BMI. Something wrong there, no?

A woman who is 145 lbs and a low % of body fat will look different than a woman of the same weight with a higher % of body fat. I think body fat % is a more useful tool.

Yes, I agree with this, but using it just as a gauge is fine. I know without a doubt, when I reach 150 now, it's NOT going to be the same as when I was 150 when I was younger. Back then, I lifted weights ALOT and that was a great deal of solid muscle weight (I was admittedly a little tank.) I'm not exercising like that, so 150 isn't going to mean the same because I won't be in the same condition.

I think most folks understand that, or we're hopefully on a journey to help us understand that. Well, except apparently a doctor. Geez... must be someone who doesn't see many athletes. Or a crappy doctor. Hmm. Perhaps both?
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 53.6 to 42.3, more than a 10% difference. Even when I get to my goal of 175 lbs. my BMI will still show me overweight. So I don't put much stock in BMI.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I consider the BMI chart a HUGE fail. When I started, it had me at about 34, and now I'm down to 27. This thing lists my goal weight as 118-159lbs lol. That's me in my profile picture, at about 175lbs. No way I could lose 15lbs more, and still look healthy.

Silly BMI.

Totally agree. Mine says I should aim to be 112lbs. At 5' 7" and a medium build and nearly 140lbs now, 112lbs would make me look so ill and would be so ridiculously hard to maintain I would have to live on water
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Meant to add I take more not of my Body Fat percentage than the BMI
  • colbiegirl
    Options
    My highest recorded eve was 33.98 (obese) and now I'm currently at 20.6 (normal).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mine went from 23.3 to 20.8
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    From 24.0 (normal), right before I started using MFP to 20.4 (ideal)!
  • shelly650
    Options
    At my all time heaviest, I weight in at 185.5lbs and had a BMI of 30.9 (obese). Im only 5'5"!! Now I weigh 158lbs and have a BMI of 26.3!! Only 8lbs away from being classified as "healthy!!"
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    some are posting "morbidly obese" >> this doesn't show up on my BMI from the MFP tools...

just getting started, went from 39.5 to 36.

"Morbidly Obese" is considered anything over 40, although some doctors will skip the "Severely Obese" category (35-40) at start their "Morbidly Obese" at 35 instead of using the other standards. 50+ is "Super Obese" by those who want to categorise obesity even further.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I was at 31.9, which is obese. I am now 25.4, which is overweight. 24.9 or less is normal weight so I am SOOOO close!
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    At my highest I hit 28.3 BMI, when I really buckled down to lose weight a few months ago I was 27 BMI exactly.

Now I'm 22.5 BMI and in the normal range :)
  • 54fevers
    54fevers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    before: 28.4
    currently: 25.3

I'm about to be in the "healthy" zone. :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have dropped 10 points. I am so excited from the day I go from obese to overweight. Seems silly to be excited about being overweight, but that's a big deal to me. It should be in about 3 months. It will have taken me 10 months.
  • amomatt
    Options
    I was in the mid 30s at my heaviest and am now just a smidge away from healthy...am very excited and motivated to get there
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    33.2 (obese) to 23.7(healthy) Thanks for the reminder! :-)
  • aldavis55
    Options
    Everyone has done fantastic! Has anyone considered getting their bodyfat % done instead of focusing on their BMI? Which BMI doesn't take into any consideration on any muscle weight you have been putting on during your weightloss? I know everyone has heard muscle weighs more than fat, so you improve your lean muscle mass and decrease your Bodyfat % your BMI reading might be a little misleading!
  • alisonnicole84
    Options
    Mine went from 43.6 to 25.8, which is still overweight and very annoying! But I try not to put too much trust in those things. :)