Reality Show - Big Sexy

Options
alfredapittman
alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
While channel surfing I came across Big Sexy on TLC. These Plus Size women have confidence through the roof. One girl said that not all plus size women want to be skinny and that I do agree with because not everyone is meant to be super skinny. Now my question is why do you want to lose weight? If these women are comfortable in their skin and know they are beautiful without being skinny does that mean we are not as comfortable? I just wonder how many of us are losing weight to fit into society’s standard of beauty instead of owning the beauty we have without trying to lose weight.

I decided to lose weight so that could take the limitations off of my life. There have been people and places that I have avoided because of my weight and I don’t want to hold myself back anymore. Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• jmmccall
    Options
    I am wanting to lose for my health...I am borderline diabetic, I hurt all the time, my energy level sucks, and I want to be sure to be around for my kids and grandkids as long as I can. I am who I am, but I need to be sure I am happy with that person. I am not trying to please anybody else, least of all "society" and be super skinny....I just want to be healthy.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Can men answer? I want to lose weight because I am getting older and I have always been between 225 and 250 since highschool... Never had too much of a psychological problem with it, but a little... the biggest point is my joints and muscles are tired of carying that weight around. Vanity is secondary, health is number one.

If you have a diet that causes you to add fat to your body, it is also adding fat to your heart and it will eventually take a toll.

The winning is the one who can be happy with themselves AND improve their health.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I havnt watched the show yet but i f it is how i think where they party and just have fun all the time. Their lifestyles will catch up on them. I lost weight because i was feeling sick all the time because of my food choices.
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    I think that we all have to ask ourselves what makes us happy. I have a desire to lose weight for my health. I also like the way I looked many many pounds ago. It all comes down to an individual choice.:happy:
  • faith12207
    Options
    OMG!! I seen this last week and i was like WOW..
    Yeah those girls r awesome to have that much confidence but not me wish i could say that..
    They r actually beautiful women too..

My reason is to build self- esteem and get off meds so health I should say and Biggest reason
    is for my baby whom i want to be healthy for.
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I DON'T want to be supper skinny either....I do LOVE curves. But what the size I am now is OUT OF CONTROL for ME. I am losing weight to be HEALTHY & feel good about myself. For ME my weight is too much for my body frame & joints. The food that I've been feeding it with has been so UNHEALTHY.
  • Love the post! I've never been comfortable in this skin...being overweight! When I met the man I married, I was 150 lbs. I'd lost 20 lbs. when I met him. I was confident and he thought I was beautiful. When I left college, I started gaining weight. I might have been ok with it, except my husband became verbally and physically abusive. He constantly told me that I "used" to be beautiful and sexy. Suddenly all of the feelings I felt about myself from high school came rushing back. (You know, that all the skinny girls and cheerleaders got the boyfriends). That low self-image left me in despair and depression. Yes, I chose food to comfort me and doubled my weight to over 300lbs. And, I haven't seen Confident Cynthia in many years. Now, I'm on a mission to bring her back!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight because I wasn't always a big girl, and I was never really meant to be. I'll never be waif-like or super skinny, but that's just the way my frame is. I knew I was being unhealthy, and I felt awful about myself, and that made me a huge downer to be around.
    So I guess the main reason was to be happy with myself, and healthy for my future.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I am very confident about my looks. I was before, I am now. I don't have any problem finding before photos because I never shied away from the camera. I dressed well and looked good.

But I was also killing myself with food. I have diabetes, high blood pressure and suffered through a pulmonary embolism and mild cardiac event which resulted in my getting two stents put into my coronary arteries. I also couldn't keep up with my kids or my husband and had gotten to the point where even basic hygiene and sex were difficult.

I lost weight to reclaim my LIFE.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow what a great issue! i often wonder about the balance between encouraging people to lose weight and encourage self-esteem at whatever weight!

I totally agree with previous commenters, it comes down to health!! It makes me think about BMI...I know for my height i can range from 110 to 150 while being a healthy weight...that's a huge range!!! When I was picking my goal, I decided to aim for 21.5 (the average of 18-24.9 range of healthy BMI). I know I could aim for 110lbs, but that doesn't seem realistic! so i'll be healthy AND happy at my goal.

So yea...I think self-esteem is super important, but I don't think you want to let that get in the way of being healthy...i.e i'm glad the women on that show are so confident, but i wonder if there's underlying health problems that could be approached by losing weight.
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Those ladies really do have a lot of confidence!
    My main reason (including health) for wanting to lose weight is my son. At 220 lbs., it's a little difficult to keep up with a 2 year old at all times. I feel badly that I'm not in near as many pictures with him as I'd like to be because of how I look. I want to be around for him for a long long time and I want him to be proud of me.
    2nd: I want cute clothes again! I have refused to buy myself anything cute because I don't like the way I look at them. I only recently bought myself jeans after going over a year with ONLY stretchy bottoms. I also LOVE highheels, but it doesn't feel so good walking around with all this weight on them.
    3rd: My partner is so amazing and hard-working. I think he deserves to come home to a sexy wife! :wink: He's never said anything about my weight, (even though I'm 50 lbs. heavier than I was when we first got together) but I'm willing to bet he'd appreciate being able to cuddle up to a woman with an awesome bod! :tongue:
    4th: I have a big problem with anxiety and depression. I believe that once I'm more comfortable in my own skin, both of those issues won't be quite the problems they are now.
    Edit: It would fit in with health, but Diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family and those are 2 things I could definitely live without!
  • loubulou2209
    Options
    I want to lose weight for my health mainly. I have family history of heart disease on both sides and have severe asthma, so the extra weight is doing me no good at all.

I also feel I've lost a lot of confidence since I put on weight. I have never been a skinny girl but I was quite a reasonable size until I met my partner a few years ago and have managed to put on around 5 stone in 2 1/2 years which is ridiculous!
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I saw the show too and to be honest, i didnt think they were as super confident as they claimed to be, i think that in a way they have accepted the reality they are not willing to change thus embracing the lifestyle.
    There is absolutely nothing good about being obese and it bugs me that they're unapologetic about indulgence. One of them said: "i want to eat a whole chicken" or something like that. One thing is to be confident of yourself and hoping that society as a whole accepts you for who you are, not based on looks.
    But for those confused girls who are trying to find themselves in this world, telling them that is ok to give in to excess to me, is wrong. Just like it is wrong to promote barfing to be model skinny.

I'm not morbidly obese but im not happy with the way i look or feel either. That's why im trying my hardest. I believe im looking for a happy middle of the road. This life is about choices. Mine is, to be healthy, to not shorten my life with diabetes, heart disease and such.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I saw that show...ran across it the same way.

I can't say that I knock it...I am all for plus size women being confident and secure

I even tried it, I tried to embrace my weight ...but, I couldn't do it.

Being plus size for me...someone who had never been...was additional health problems, depression, trouble breathing, moving slower, starting an emotional eating pattern, and low-self-esteem. CAN'T DO IT- ITS NOT ME.

So while they Jiggle...I work to get little.
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    I love the confidence those women show, if that's how they want to live and they are happy then more power to them.

As for me? I am not at all happy being the big girl with the great personality and pretty face (i don't buy that either, it's just what people say) I will be honest, a big part of my wanting to be slender has to do with the way people are treated when they are not. I was skinny for a while due to anorexia/bulimia and know first hand the difference in how people are treated (especially women) in both situations. I know being in better shape won't magically cure all my problems, but i want to feel attractive, not fat or invisible.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    I kinda hate the word skinny. I never want to be skinny. I was skinny one time in my life. I caught mono at 21. It really tore me up. The doc did not figure it out until I was on the edge of hepatitis, I ended up weighing 114 at the end. I gained some back pretty quick, so I went up to 125. Yes..I honestly did look like a walking pile of bones. But it took me a long time to recover. I would walk outside to the car and feel completely exhausted. Meanwhile i had friends who had not seen me in a long time telling me they were wishing to be ill. I never want to feel like that again.
    I want to be fit and healthy. I don't want to be over weight. It's more than just how I look, although yes that does come into play. But more important to me is that I want to live a life free of meds and all the assorted problems that do come with being unhealthy. I want to be active and do crazy things as I get older...lol. I don't want to have to worry about my blood sugar because I chose to eat bad foods and not be fit. The amount of people projected to develop diabetes because of their lifestyle is staggering!
    I am glad theses girls have self esteem. I dont want think most people need to be skinny. What I want is for them to be healthy. And down the road these girls are setting themselves up for allot of health issues.
    And there you have my feelings...lol. Good health to you all :-)
    Jac
  • mssweetjay
    Options
    I am looking forward to watching the show myself!! I'm losing my weight for my health first, my appearance second. I have tried so many times in my life and I am determine to meet my goal!!! I have been over weight for many years and I have seen relatives died including my mother with health issues including their weight and I'm determine to make a change!! There is so much more I want to do in years to come. I am young in spirit and have been told that I don't look my age so I want to feel younger like my free spirit attitude!!!! I love to dance and have a good ole time and I need the energy to do that!!!! God did bless me with this body, soul and mind and its up to me to take care of it the best way I can!!!!! My motto " WINE FINE OPERATION " DOING ME IS THE KEY.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I saw the show too and to be honest, i didnt think they were as super confident as they claimed to be, i think that in a way they have accepted the reality they are not willing to change thus embracing the lifestyle.
    There is absolutely nothing good about being obese and it bugs me that they're unapologetic about indulgence. One of them said: "i want to eat a whole chicken" or something like that. One thing is to be confident of yourself and hoping that society as a whole accepts you for who you are, not based on looks.
    But for those confused girls who are trying to find themselves in this world, telling them that is ok to give in to excess to me, is wrong. Just like it is wrong to promote barfing to be model skinny.

I'm not morbidly obese but im not happy with the way i look or feel either. That's why im trying my hardest. I believe im looking for a happy middle of the road. This life is about choices. Mine is, to be healthy, to not shorten my life with diabetes, heart disease and such.

I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for it, but I agree with this. While it's great to have self confidence, I dont agree with condoning an unhealthy lifestyle regardless of whether or not the person is over or under weight. Every woman should embrace their curves but I still dont agree with embracing obesity and saying its ok to be unhealthy because you still feel sexy.

I personally wanted to lose weight because I wasnt comfortable in my own skin anymore. I was also really unhealthy with a lot of bad eating habits. I still struggle with a few bad habits but overall feel better and am on my way to a much healthier person. After starting to eat properly and exercise, I've realized that being healthy overall and being able to challenege my body to do things I didnt know I could is more important to me than how many pounds I actually lose in the long run.
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    Options
    Love the post! I've never been comfortable in this skin...being overweight! When I met the man I married, I was 150 lbs. I'd lost 20 lbs. when I met him. I was confident and he thought I was beautiful. When I left college, I started gaining weight. I might have been ok with it, except my husband became verbally and physically abusive. He constantly told me that I "used" to be beautiful and sexy. Suddenly all of the feelings I felt about myself from high school came rushing back. (You know, that all the skinny girls and cheerleaders got the boyfriends). That low self-image left me in despair and depression. Yes, I chose food to comfort me and doubled my weight to over 300lbs. And, I haven't seen Confident Cynthia in many years. Now, I'm on a mission to bring her back!

Health is #1 for me. But what is mentioned in this post above is a top runner too. I was so confident...life of the part out-going and full of life. Now I am just a shell of my former self and I want HER back.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump