Healthy for the Holidays Challenge - 9/06 - 11/22

Options

Replies

• oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Join the "Healthy for the Holidays" challenge beginning Tuesday, 9/06 thru Tuesday, 11/22!!!

Come join us if you're looking for extra motivation as we approach the Holiday season. We've got a great group of ladies & gents helping each other stay motivated and we are always looking for others to join our group.

Each week will have a different food & exercise challenge with a weekly check in that will allow you to share your progress towards the goal weight or NSV you set for 11/22.

How to join? Starting Tuesday 9/06 post your current weight (CW), your 11/22 goal weight (GW) and/or the NSV(s) you wish to achieve by Tuesday, 11/22. Each subsequent Tuesday post that week's current weight (CW) and/or your progress made towards your NSV(s). Everyone's progress will be tracked & the group's weekly successes will be posted.

Hope to hear from you on Tuesday!!

*** NSV = 'Non Scale Victory" ***

How do I add my weight to show GW, SW to the bottom of my tracker. I'm not doing very well trying to figure out.

that you can change in your signature (when you click on the community tab, signature will show up next to "home" "recept posts" and "my topics"). but for us you don't have to necessarily do it that way, you can just post on here each week. however you want to do it is fine with us. It'll make more sense tmrw when you see people's weight posts. Don't worry about "messing it up", any way you participate is fine with us!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fitness/Food Challenge for week of Sept 19th.

I'm currently in the midst of the Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge, so I thought I'd give you a sample of what I've been doing along this weight-loss journey. You can read more about it at <marksdailyapple.com>.

Fitness challenge: Try all three, OR pick one that you don't currently do, and try it this week.

Lift heavy things--2 body-weight strength training workouts each week (planks, pushups, pullups, squats etc.) I also count heavy cleaning, moving boxes and furniture, heavy yard work, etc..
    Low Level Aerobic Activity--3-5 hours of easy moving each week (gardening, shopping, walking/hiking, house cleaning, horseback riding, playing outdoors with kids, etc.)
    Sprint--One all-out effort each week (stair climbing, running, jogging, whatever leaves you temporarily exhausted and out of breath at the end)

Food challenge: I've been eating lower-carb on this journey, and it's worked for me. If you are having trouble getting rid of the last few lbs. or having a hard time starting to lose--try eating about 100g carbs per day and see what happens. OR If you don't want to go lower-carb, just keep track of the carbs in your meals and notice which kind of meals/foods leave you the most satisfied.

Rose
  • oliviawink
    Options
    Fitness/Food Challenge for week of Sept 19th.

I'm currently in the midst of the Primal Blueprint 30-Day Challenge, so I thought I'd give you a sample of what I've been doing along this weight-loss journey. You can read more about it at <marksdailyapple.com>.

Fitness challenge: Try all three, OR pick one that you don't currently do, and try it this week.

Lift heavy things--2 body-weight strength training workouts each week (planks, pushups, pullups, squats etc.) I also count heavy cleaning, moving boxes and furniture, heavy yard work, etc..
    Low Level Aerobic Activity--3-5 hours of easy moving each week (gardening, shopping, walking/hiking, house cleaning, horseback riding, playing outdoors with kids, etc.)
    Sprint--One all-out effort each week (stair climbing, running, jogging, whatever leaves you temporarily exhausted and out of breath at the end)

Food challenge: I've been eating lower-carb on this journey, and it's worked for me. If you are having trouble getting rid of the last few lbs. or having a hard time starting to lose--try eating about 100g carbs per day and see what happens. OR If you don't want to go lower-carb, just keep track of the carbs in your meals and notice which kind of meals/foods leave you the most satisfied.

Rose

Rose - this is GREAT! What an awesome idea, to challenge us to some of these great primal blueprint things that you have been doing for a while now. I LOVE IT and maybe it's just what I need to end this $&#*@( #(*@!&*#( plateau! Just one question: are there any suggestions or parameters around the exercise, like time-wise or body signals? I see the 3-5 hours in the low level but the others are kinda vague.

I've been thinking about playing with my carbs, wondering if that's what's hanging me up, so I'm going to try to rise to the 100 g carb thing. I'm sure it's gonna be super hard, cause those sure can add up fast, but I think it's just what I need. Great challenges!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The "Carbohydrate Curve" that convinced me to give lower-carb/Primal Blueprint a try. <http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/&gt;

The Primal Fitness E-Book describes the movements, progressions, and reps. <http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-fitness/&gt; You have to subscribe to download, but it's free, and you can unsubscribe easily.

BTW, I was skeptical when DD1 first showed me the Primal Blueprint book a couple of years ago, but I'm a believer now. I think it was the "effortless weight loss" category on the carbohydrate curve that did it for me. I'd been in the "Slow, insidious weight gain" one for far too long.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in time:

SW: 135.0
    Week 1: 136.5
    Week 2: 134.0

GW: 129

Very happy with that, and not expecting it at all. My scale showed two different weights this morning, so I went with the average. My schedule is a little crazy this week, so I don't know how much I'm going to be able to check in with you guys, but I will certainly continue with the MFP plan. :smile:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This morning's weigh in:

SW: 204.5

CW: 201.7
  • hopelyss
    Options
    Morning Weigh In: 180.2 lbs

SW: 186.6
    Week 1: 183.6
    Week 2: 180.2
    GW: 171
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Weigh in time

Down one pound. I hoped it would be more but I guess its a loss and I should be happy with that. I really wanted to be under 200.

I feel good about the exercise challenge, I have a bad knee and its hard for me to do alot of exercise everyday. I usually do a cardio workout every other and stretchs and knee exercises on the off days.

My carbs are pretty good, but with a 1lb weight loss maybe I should try lowering it.
  • lisalosesalot
    Options
    Whoop Whoop....3 lbs down...:)....I know it comes off easier in the beginning...but i am so happy.
    SW: 191
    CW: 188
    GW: 170 (for the challenge)
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    156.8 :grumble: TOM, up 2. ah well, its better than yesterday at least.
  • agirl11
    agirl11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ALRIGHT!! Weigh in this morning 246.8! Biggest weight loss in quite some time! Maybe that massive plateau is over! :)
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Checking in

SW 148
    WK 1 149
    WK 2 148.6 Down .4

Have a great week everyone!!!
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am down a pound this week weighing in at 189.0
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Checking in.

SW: 180
    WK1: 180
    WK2: 178.8
    GW: 169 (for this challenge)
    GW: 140

My weight was all over the place this week. At one point I was down 7 lbs and I was ecstatic! I guess that'll teach me not to weigh in every day. Totally depressed this morning when I stepped on the scale. I exercised 7 days this week and kept my calories below my goal. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Opal
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    Good moring everyone!

SW: 151.6
    CW:151.6
    GW: 142.0

Heres to a great day and challenge! Off to drink my water.
    Skinny vibes,
    Prekteacher AKA Teresa
  • oliviawink
    Options
    Checking in.

SW: 180
    WK1: 180
    WK2: 178.8
    GW: 169 (for this challenge)
    GW: 140

My weight was all over the place this week. At one point I was down 7 lbs and I was ecstatic! I guess that'll teach me not to weigh in every day. Totally depressed this morning when I stepped on the scale. I exercised 7 days this week and kept my calories below my goal. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Opal

You're not doing any wrong, you're doing everything RIGHT! You shouldn't lose 7 lbs in a week, it's not good for your body and not sustainable, and honestly probably wasn't a real number (less food in your digestive system, less water maybe even just a tweak out of the scale). You lost a little over a lb this week and that's great. you shouldn't loose more than 2 a week. It's all the little baby steps that lead to a new healthy lifestyle. This is about sustainable change and with that loss you are on the right path. WTG!!!!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    SW 9/6: 162.
    9/13: 162.5
    And today's weight, drum roll please......
    9/20 CW: 160.5 (WOOOOOOOOOOT! I'm gonna be under 160 soon. Awwwww yeah, gettin' ready to say buh-bye 160s!)
    GW: 155
    NSV: decrease inches and increase muscle tone - still need to take my measurements so I have a "baseline" to go off of (but slacker me, I still haven't taken these measurements. Gonna be hard to meet this NSV if I keep slacking like this!)
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Good morning guys,

Checking in also:

CW: 196

I'm using the weight from the weekend. How is everyone doing? I'm feeling pretty pumped and did my p90x this morning and also ran outside. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, well I 've got 5 days down and 16 more to go.

Wish you all an awesome day!!!
  • Carrie704
    Options
    I'm down 1.8!!!
    Did anyone have trouble accessing the spreadsheet?
    I was prompted for a login and couldnt get in to update.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Olivia: Thanks for the encouragement and perspective and congratulations on your weight loss!
    I really need to start seeing this as a marathon and not a sprint. :ohwell: