Pet Peeves While Running Outside

Options
1) Loose dogs. Cooper and I got charged twice today. For someone who loves dogs, but is somewhat afraid of them, that is two times too many!

2) Overgrown bushes, trees, any type of foliage. I either have to duck, go around, or get poked. It might seem petty, but at this time of year there are dozens of overgrown spots along my usual route. One of these days I might just bring along my cutters.

3) Cars parked blocking the sidewalk.

4) People who want to talk as I run by. I appreciate your friendliness, but I am breathing hard and have music playing. I can't hear you, and I definitely don't want to stop.

Those are mine. What are yours?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another one:

5) Sprinklers set up to drench anyone passing by.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    mine is ppl who run by with their earphones on and won't stop to say 'hi' to me and my loose dogs
    j/k
  • TishaDawnMc
    Options
    I just thought of another one:

5) Sprinklers set up to drench anyone passing by.

With the temps still easily in the 108+ area, sprinklers sound AMAZING!
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Running through a cloud of cigarette (or worse, pot) smoke. You are polluting my air!!!!!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Luckily I haven't run into any loose dogs in my area but 2 and 3 definitely. Most people I run past aren't all that talkative but I do get miffed by the chatting crowds that see you coming yet make no effort whatsoever to give you a little room, kinda like people who park blocking the sidewalk, lol.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Uneven, slanting sidewalk. The street I usually run on is in really rough shape. Potholes everywhere, loose gravel, large branches and lots of sticks on the side of the road, etc. Also sometimes I feel like my left leg is on a slant and my right isn't, due to how the road is shaped. I don't mind it sometimes because it's like trail running and keeps it interesting, but I do mind it when a car is coming for me and I have to jump in a large pile of branches so I don't get hit! :laugh: We don't have sidewalks where I live.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    All the above. I'd like to add, for winter, when people who live on a corner shovel the sidewalk in front of their house but pile it up on the corner so if you have to cross the street you have to climb their hill to get to the sidewalk on the other side. Where is city bylaw??
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All of the above and:

People who ride bikes on the sidewalk, especially those who come up and pass you from behind without ringing a bell or otherwise making their presence known.

When people in passing cars feel the need to honk and/or whistle as they go by.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    mine is ppl who run by with their earphones on and won't stop to say 'hi' to me and my loose dogs
    j/k

:laugh: :laugh:

I think you covered most of them...although I have to admit there have been a few times this summer I welcomed the sprinklers :laugh:
  • maryd523
    Options
    j/k

Haha! I always wave to everyone, and say "hi", but people often want to comment on my gorgeous dog, or ask how old he is, or what his name is, etc. :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    When people in passing cars feel the need to honk and/or whistle as they go by.

^^ THIS!

Also, when people slow down in their car and stare at you... Makes me sooo uncomfortable! :grumble:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bikers on the trails that do not say "On your left!" to let me know they're coming so I can scoot over before they zoom by and scare the p*ss out of me and/or take my arm off.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ice( yikes)

Snow(slippery as ice)

Big puddles(wet feet)

Mud(slippery as f***)
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the overgrown foliage. I'm only 5'2, if your branches are so low that they can poke me in the face or snag my hair they need to be cut!!! (Ive actually thought about driving over with my cutters too...ok....I'm not crazy PHEW).

Also:

1. People who honk at me (yes I have on headphones, but I can still hear that and it jolts me- I HATE THAT)
    2. People who either take up the full sidewalk with their fellow walking buddies or dogs- single file people lets be courteous)
    3. People who don't clean up after thier dogs-especially when it gets on the sidewalk!

I'm sure I have more, but I can only think of them while I'm running.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Overgrown bushes, trees, any type of foliage. I either have to duck, go around, or get poked. It might seem petty, but at this time of year there are dozens of overgrown spots along my usual route. One of these days I might just bring along my cutters.

That is one of mine as well.

Other pet peeves: narrow sidewalks that make me have to run on the road. (I live in Europe, we have sidewalks everywhere but some are very narrow.)

Having to cross the train tracks just when the gates are closed because a train is approaching.

When it is really hot outside. On hot days I sometimes wait till 10pm to go running.

Well, there are probably more but I can't think of any right now.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    3. People who don't clean up after thier dogs-especially when it gets on the sidewalk!

This! I can't believe I forgot to b*tch about people who let their dogs crap in the middle of the sidewalk!!!
  • maryd523
    Options
    Today a truck was parked in a driveway, with two long slim pieces of metal protruding out of the bed, their sharp ends in the sidewalk directly at face-level. I almost ran right into a face-full of metal!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Being on a college campus.. the freshman girls who feel the need to walk in rows of 3 or 4 on the sidewalk, and make me run on the grass to get around them even though they can clearly see me coming. Really, girls, if you break formation for 3 seconds, you'll still be able to be BFFs, I promise. You won't get lost if one of you has to walk behind the other two for a moment.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Cars slowing down when they see I'm trying to cross. I'm not going to jump in front of a moving vehicle, either stop or get past me faster, don't crawl past me!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    my neighbors who look at me and shake their heads like I'm crazy to be out running and being healthy as they sit in their garage stuffing their face with their horrid music playing so loud I can't hear my own. hahaha...and uneven sidewalks!