To those who've lost over 100 pounds in a year, please respo

Options
I've got over 100 pounds to lose myself, and have been going through the success stories for inspiration. While a lot of people don't share how many calories they've been eating, it seems like some of those that do have found success eating fewer than 1200 a day, and sometimes fewer than 1000 a day. Please, I don't want a debate about starvation mode on here, that topic has been debated to death. I am only interested in the experiences of people who have themselves lost over 100 pounds in a year or less. If you'd be willing to share, please let me know what your average daily calories were, and if you took your calories down along the way or kept them at a certain level. Also, whether or not you exercised, and whether or not you ate your exercise calories. No judgments, please!

I am interested in finding out how people have actually succeeded in losing over 100 pounds within a year or less, from those people themselves.

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlrae
    jlrae Posts: 35
    Options
    Bump.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well excuse me.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Feel free to message me and i will share what worked so far for me. Not quite 100 yet but darn close and it's been about 8 months.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My husband (Shack1157) has lost 93 lbs since mid-October, 2010. So I'd say he will probably hit the 100 lb. mark by the one-year mark. He (we) started using MFP in Feb. 2011. I can't tell by your name if you are male or female - but males seem to lose faster. He always looses 2 lbs. to my 1. Another factor is how much you have to lose. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Set your goal to lose at 2 lbs per week. That gives you 104 pounds in a year - which is healthy and doable. Reset your calorie target with each loss...and exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories (another hotly debated issue).
  • NinjettePrincess
    Options
    I just want to wish you the best of luck. I wish I had the advice to give you, but I'm just starting this journey myself. I've decided to link this account to my Facebook account to help hold myself more accountable and to help share my success.

kkellam1: Congratulations on your success!! You're so close to that magic 100!!! You can do it!
  • MyGoodLife
    Options
    Good point, Queen Christine... I'm a middle-aged woman, so I know that will factor into my experience.
  • abcerc
    Options
    bump
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - no you do not need to starve yourself .... Today is actually my one year anniversary (6 months on MFP) - and I have lost 108lbs....I started at 330lbs - 5'9'

I started with 1700 calories per day - about 5 months later down to 1500, and another 5 months later 1450 (these are all NET)

So when I exercised I ate even more!! I did not always eat back all my exercise calories - but I did eat a fair share of them....and the more weight I have lost the more I ate them back....

I do at least 2 gym sessions with a Personal Trainer a week, walk at least 30 minutes a day - and then try and get more exercise in as time and energy dictates - and yes - as I lost the weight I have become much more active - cycling, walking - running, zumba etc....

I eat more than I have ever eaten - but I try to make it "good" food - lots of salads and vegetables - good fair portions of protein - and keep treats as just that occasional treats....

It is my new lifestyle so when I go out with friends I eat - and have a few glasses of wine - and a yummy desert - I have found over the year that that one lovely meal hardly ever makes a difference on the scale - as long as you are right back to it the next day!!

So NO - you do not need to starve yourself to lose a 100lbs - in fact you will be more successfull if you do it the healthy way!!

My diary is open to all - so you can have a look at what / how I eat (just ignore 28 August to 2 September - I was on an island holiday......and I set my goal to maintenance, so right now I am on 1800 per day.) but managed to lose weight even when my eating was crap!!
  • Sunshine_228
    Sunshine_228 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A way a person is going to lose that much weight in that time frame will be with some form of surgery. You're seeking where a person keeps at least 1200 calorie intake and even with exercise you will not meet what you're seeking. good luck with your hunt on a 1200 calorie intake and losing 100 pounds or more in under a year. I've lost that much and that was with 1200 calorie.. exercising 5 days a week at the gym with classes in the evening.. along with stomach surgery!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my sister was on a doctor approved diet of around 500 calories per day. she lost 80 pounds in slightly less than a year...along with her hair, energy and suffered mood swings and other problems. within the year following, while on the doctor approved maintenance program, she gained 160 pounds, although the hair loss seems permanant.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I want to wish you luck too and offer this advice:

instead of looking at that BIG 100 pound picture and the WHOLE YEAR picture, try setting MINI GOALS and do NOT put any time limits on it!!

My first Mini Goal was to get to ONEDERLAND and the 190s, now I'm knocking on the door of the 180s! I'll get there.....and it doesn't matter WHEN, I'm gonna get there!!

I am age 50 and have had a lifelong battle with weight so I'm right there with ya on that!

Good Luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    A way a person is going to lose that much weight in that time frame will be with some form of surgery. You're seeking where a person keeps at least 1200 calorie intake and even with exercise you will not meet what you're seeking. good luck with your hunt on a 1200 calorie intake and losing 100 pounds or more in under a year. I've lost that much and that was with 1200 calorie.. exercising 5 days a week at the gym with classes in the evening.. along with stomach surgery!

So not true - I am living proof that it can be done - by changing what / how you eat - and doing moderate amounts of exercise - and eating more than 1200 calories a day!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 60 in 7 months. I was 276, and now I am under 220. I ate 14-1600 calories per day. I ate more protein than carbs, and as I added in the carbs from more fruit and upped the calories to 16-1800, I have leveled off. I started exercising 2 times a week, than 3 ,4 , 5, 6, and 7. I have had a couple of set backs with my health. IE: Heart attack, and a torn meniscus, but I keep on exercising every day. My goal is 195 and I know I can make it.
  • vnelson17
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories per day, mostly potein and green veggies. I didn't do it gradually, when I started my diet I just dropped to 1200. It was hard at first but about a month in my body got use to it. I do exercise twice a day five days a week for an hour. I do only cardio which helps weight lose faster but you will not have the muscle. I don't eat my exercise calories because it defeats the purpose. At first, I was losing about 10-13 pounds a month. After the sixths month it went down to about 4-8 pounds. I lost 100 in about 10 months
  • MyGoodLife
    Options
    Thanks to all that have answered and shared their successes. If there's anyone who would prefer to send me info via a private note rather than comment on a public board, I understand. Thanks in advance to any further responders.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think I will try a 1500 calorie diet starting next week to see what will happen.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!